rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah, that doesnt happen. Any more than it does with specific Lego, or specific power ranger or whatever other specific item a child has written on the Christmas list.

What are you basing this on, exactly?

I’ve seen parents in Game not know which version of a game to buy because they don’t know what console their kid owns (Xbox One or Xbox 360). 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PeteBrant said:

WHo do you think are likely to be early adopters of Series X? Do you think they might have an idea of what they are buying?

Most will, perhaps - but I think there's a tendency on hardcore gaming forums to imagine everyone else are as clued into this sort of stuff as we are. I've got friends who game a bunch, many of whom may well be early adopters next gen but don't really pay much attention to the industry beyond just buying games.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What are you basing this on, exactly?

I’ve seen parents in Game not know which version of a game to buy because they don’t know what console their kid owns.

On the fact that by and large, we dont have massive complaints of people constantly wondering around in a daze not knowing the name of the thing they want to buy. Versus your narrow anecdotal evidence of a someone once not knowing what console their child owns.

Children are pretty explicit when they want something. Parents, generally, are not thick as shit.

13 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Can’t wait for MS to release some new details so we can talk about something else.

There is apparently going to be some kind of full reveal event a month or so before E3.

"Some have the misunderstanding that Wii U is just Wii with a pad for games, and others even consider Wii U GamePad as a peripheral device connectable to Wii," Nintendo's Satoru Iwata said during an earnings briefing. "We feel deeply responsible for not having tried hard enough to have consumers understand the product." Another video was released that explained that the Wii U was a "whole new system," driving the point home once again. This was in December of 2013.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Didn’t they absolutely slash their marketing budget from Wii to WiiU too? 

Their marketing is back on form now for Switch clearly.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Parents, generally, are not thick as shit.

I'd like to point out that I'm a parent. I pre-ordered an Xbox Series X a few weeks ago. I checked just now, and the pre-order status confirms that I got it right and didn't order an Xbox One S by mistake with the message that I'll be picking it up towards the end of the year.

• Upvote 2

In reality it's not that parents would get confused about which console, it's the perception from casuals that it's a 'new console' the Wii U naming convention didn't get that across, people thought it was an add on for the Wii.

The fact we've had mid generation refreshes could harm Microsoft because people may think Series X is just another upgraded Xbox One (which it is from a hardware pov in the same way PS5 is just an upgraded PS4 as the architecture is the same) and they may not see the value in an immediate upgrade, especially if there are no exclusive games.

So you go into Game or browse Amazon...

How does it work? do Series X games have their own boxes? would the discs work if you stuck it into an Xbox One X? what if you bought Halo Infinite or whatever it's called on Xbox One disc, would that work in Series X with Series X graphics? have they explained this yet? they said there wont be exclusive games, but will there be unique SKU's for Xbox One/XSX on the shelves?

If it's just Xbox games work on all Xbox consoles that could let Sony get a damaging lead in which case the additional power for XSX (if it is indeed the most powerful) wont get used by devs because they will be targeting the PlayStation market because that's where the majority of the consumers are.

I think to a degree Microsoft wants to move to that sort of environment, though, where there's just "Xbox", and you take the game home and it'll play on whatever box you have, within reason. The iPhone model - every year the iPhone is "just" the iPhone, but lots of people are still willing to pay a month's net pay for the new one. It wouldn't surprise me if - when specific Xbox Series games start arriving - you could put them in your Xbox One and get immediately taken to the streaming version, even if your console doesn't support it locally. They might genuinely not want people to see a clean break here.

It's got a great potential for chaos but I think that's a price Microsoft are willing to pay.

• Empathy 1

It's funny going into next gen that despite all the positive stuff Xbox has done this gen to recover from the calamatous start,  people are so desperate to find the thing that will ensure their downfall this time around. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I pre-ordered an Xbox Series X a few weeks ago

Who's taking pre-orders?

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Who's taking pre-orders?

My local game store. I also pre-ordered a PS5. Not 4, definitely 5:blah:

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve seen parents in Game not know which version of a game to buy because they don’t know what console their kid owns (Xbox One or Xbox 360). 

Well, problem solved!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

It's funny going into next gen that despite all the positive stuff Xbox has done this gen to recover from the calamatous start,  people are so desperate to find the thing that will ensure their downfall this time around. 

Yes that is EXACTLY what this is about.

:doh:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

You're a strange man, Mr The Clown.

The Cyberpunk delay is excellent news as I’ll save playing it until the series X lands. We have a launch game!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, gooner4life said:

So you go into Game or browse Amazon...

How does it work? do Series X games have their own boxes? would the discs work if you stuck it into an Xbox One X? what if you bought Halo Infinite or whatever it's called on Xbox One disc, would that work in Series X with Series X graphics? have they explained this yet? they said there wont be exclusive games, but will there be unique SKU's for Xbox One/XSX on the shelves?

Seeing as MS have said all the games will work on all consoles (right now) I'd imagine you buy an Xbox One game and put it into a Series X or an Xbox One X or an Xbox One S and the console just downloads/installs whatever it's capable of playing. That's it.  That's probably how simple it's going to be.   Reember this is the same MS that lets you buy a game on physical media, does your cloud syncs regardless of whether your playing your primary console or not (or even on a PC for Cross Save games) and then lets you buy the digital version where you can carry on using the same game saves AND doesn't require you re-install the game.  Doesn't even matter if the physical disk and the digital upgrade are from different regions. All on one account, fucking seamless. I love it. It's how the customer SHOULD be treated.

Contrast that with my Playstation experience of manuallly having to upload my saves from my non primary console, physical releases being treated as a different product to digital meaning complete re-installs and if you want to buy from different regions you have to have an enirely new account for each region.

I think MS have the better handle on how to make it streamlined.  They've pretty much proven it with the current gen.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, fattakin said:

The Cyberpunk delay is excellent news as I’ll save playing it until the series X lands. We have a launch game!

Exactly what I'm thinking. March was way too long to fucking wait, but even if the XSX launches in October or November, I'll be able to wait. 

when little jonnie's parents get him a xbox series S because the man in the shop assured them that it plays the same games as the xbox series X, and is cheaper, there's gonna be hell to pay...

6 hours ago, SeanR said:

when little jonnie's parents get him a xbox series S because the man in the shop assured them that it plays the same games as the xbox series X, and is cheaper, there's gonna be hell to pay...

The man in the shop is shit at his job then, surely. 

Who steers customers towards items with less revenue?

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The man in the shop is shit at his job then, surely. 

Who steers customers towards items with less revenue?

people with a soul, my bad!

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

people with a soul, my bad!

"I have a soul, therefore I will lie to this customer and sell them an inferior product for less money", thought the angelic GAME employee.

I’m not sure which bit of Sean’s post was a lie. I don’t work in retail but generally want shop assistants to provide me with the information to help me choose, not invariably guide me to whichever generates the most revenue. 

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

"I have a soul, therefore I will lie to this customer and sell them an inferior product for less money", thought the angelic GAME employee.

No, I saw it very much as the second part of a conversation that started like this

”series x?”

*mumbling*
”HOW MUCH!?!”

”well, there’s series S, it’s cheaper and plays all the same games”

but sure...

I’ve always been of a mind it will have a different   name - it’s not even released yet.

xbox one x , and x box one series x - too close.