rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

What if this is an X-Cloud based handheld/dockable switch like device  with matching X-cloud server chips and gubbins. Feasible ? Probable ? It certainly would end the confusion at the point of sale for all those casual dafties. Expecting people to use a controller with their phone seems a little off to me, and having tried it, it didn't ring as the future of gaming it's purported to be (be that 5 or 10 years from now). However a dedicated streaming device that can be used both with the TV and as a handheld kinda does.

Merely throwing ideas out there to be ridiculed, derided or give food for thought.

A 4 teraflop handheld would cost a fortune though surely?

PS4 Pro is around that so imagine somehow condensing that kind of power into a handheld. A Switch by comparison is around 1 teraflop. 

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

A 4 teraflop handheld would cost a fortune though surely?

The GPU in the iPad Pro is 1.3tflop. That is about as fast a mobile GPU as you can make at the moment.

2 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

From Software going to XGS would be megafuckington but I really really doubt it. Just for multiplatform reasons. But how are their finances working out with their current owner - maybe they feel they can get a better development environment within XGS?

I'm sure it won't happen here but let's not pretend it's inconcievable it'd ever happen.

Ask Bullfrog, who went from Theme Park and Hospital to ending up porting Quake 3 to the PS2.

Is it? I don't really care what consoles look like, so I'm not bothered one way or another, but what's cool about it? It just looks like a subwoofer.

• Upvote 8

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

Is it? I don't really care what consoles look like, so I'm not bothered one way or another, but what's cool about it? It just looks like a subwoofer.

I just love minimalist stuff. They started heading in the right direction for me with the Xbox One S, but even that had too many superfluous bits. I’m a designer though and love Apple’s approach to industrial design, so maybe I’m a bit biased.

Could they be intakes, with heat coming out the top? I don’t know if that makes more sense with heat naturally rising or if that makes no practical difference. 

Yes, the cool air comes in the bottom and the heat would come out the top, like the (old new) Mac Pro.

You let convection work for you, not try and fight against it.

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

What’s the middle left port on the back?

Probably some sort of diagnostic / debugging port. 

I'm more interested in the hole at the top and the wee button looking bit at the bottom. Looks like the back could be removable. I doubt it is, and I doubt Microsoft would do it, but access for user upgradable storage would be class.

It's tiny, I'm a bit concerned about cooling in the Series X and PS5 (especially the PS5 if the leak is true, at least MS showed this gen they got cooling right)

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

It's tiny, I'm a bit concerned about cooling in the Series X and PS5 (especially the PS5 if the leak is true, at least MS showed this gen they got cooling right)

15*15*29cm. Looking at it, there are the two input vents on the back there, but it also looks like there's a wee stand on the bottom for when you have it vertical. It wouldn't surprise me if there are vents in that too.

I was thinking about wall mounting my TV and just having this sat under it, all minimalist douchebag style. But that doesn't look that great.

Might just bung it behind the telly, where my One X currently sits.

32 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It’s a black fucking box . Jesus . 

And? It’s the first console to look like that and I think it looks good.

• Upvote 1