Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Recommended Posts

I suspect the large, narrow port in the back is an expansion slot for an additional M.2 SSD.

 

If so they'd probably be Microsoft branded and come in a custom cartridge enclosure, though, akin to Xbox 360 HDDs. That approach would be more justified this time around given that they'll want to ensure a minimum SSD specification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I suspect the large, narrow port in the back is an expansion slot for an additional M.2 SSD.

 

If so they'd probably be Microsoft branded and come in a custom cartridge enclosure, though, akin to Xbox 360 HDDs. That approach would be more justified this time around given that they'll want to ensure a minimum SSD specification.

Taken from the Thurrott.com write-up on the images:

Quote

The holes on the side of the ports are for venting and that large rectangle port in the middle is for diagnostic reporting. I don’t expect that port to be on the final hardware and as always, these ports could change.

 

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/228561/xbox-series-x-hardware-shows-up-early

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Xbox VR isn't happening until this thing at the very least gets a a revision mid gen. Also it's a prototype hence the cheap looking plastic, they could have at least  have wiped the jizz stains off it before taking the pics. 

 

well they are Leaks after all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Ok mate :lol:

 

Pete, you're part of the problem with your weird Jesus Christ type post.   

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

Pete, you're part of the problem with your weird Jesus Christ type post.   
 

 

I.... don’t think I care ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

 

I.... don’t think I care ?

 

Your posts clearly say otherwise!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chalk me up as another one who likes the boring black box approach with a logo on it at most. 

As distinctive as past consoles looked I think we're at the point where they just need to blend in with all the other shit under the telly.  Down with curved surfaces.  I want them stackable to be honest.   I believe @SeanR has a lovely stackable setup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

believe @SeanR has a lovely stackable setup.  


not since I got the pro and (second) X.


too risky.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

49 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

 

Your posts clearly say otherwise!  :)

No, you misunderstand, I mean I don't  care if you think I am part of the problem.

 

EDIT : ignore me , I’m a stroppy twat today . Apologies @JPL and @rafaqat

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

 

 

No, you misunderstand, I mean I don't  care if you think I am part of the problem.

 

EDIT : ignore me , I’m a stroppy twat today . Apologies @JPL and @rafaqat

No worries mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of interesting that it only has one of those little two pin power connectors, it's not likely to be a 300w+ monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Revival said:

It might not be a debugging port after all.

 

 

 

"What do you reckon", "I believe", and "I feel" makes me think this may not be a series of statements based on inside information.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is therea reason you couldn't attach a large USB drive to store things on, but have to move the game to the nvme drive to play?

Same as you can on a pc, have a large external or nas attached and move things over when you want instead of redownloading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be done, but it’s going to be a pain in the arse if you’re going to have to “install” things from your external regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Is therea reason you couldn't attach a large USB drive to store things on, but have to move the game to the nvme drive to play?

Same as you can on a pc, have a large external or nas attached and move things over when you want instead of redownloading.

 

That would not be a very console experience. 

Makes sense for that port to be a expansion port for extra storage.  Although I'd be a little dissapointed if I have to keep my current exernal USB drive with my Xboxe Ones and not just plug it into the new one.   I liked that feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, that makes me wonder how these fast storage systems will work on the next-generation versions of XCloud and PSNow. Right now presumably they can get a decent chunk of the streaming game library on any given server. Surely they're not going to have quite as big an SSD in every server instance?

 

I mean more as a logistical issue than a can-they-do-it one, there are probably a lot of interesting options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How fast is USB 3.0 now? Could they do one of these high-bandwidth SSDs (or something that was slower, but still usable) over that connection, as an external box rather than an add-in card? You can feed a GPU over that bus after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't GPUs done over Thunderbolt 3? USB 3.2 done over USB-C can apparently go up to 2500 MB/s according to a quick look on Wikipedia.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, so they could do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

@Dudley what have you started ?

 

giphy.gif

 

10 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Xbox VR isn't happening until this thing at the very least gets a a revision mid gen. Also it's a prototype hence the cheap looking plastic, they could have at least  have wiped the jizz stains off it before taking the pics. 

 

I almost hope it doesn't, because I'm not sure console VR's userbase can support competitors.  An Xbox VR might kill both of them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the thread title change? Have I missed something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why the thread title change? Have I missed something?

 

Yeah, seems you may have been preoccupied at the time.

 

f5vNtyd.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dudley said:

 

giphy.gif

 

 

I almost hope it doesn't, because I'm not sure console VR's userbase can support competitors.  An Xbox VR might kill both of them.

 

Why? It should be easy to port PC VR titles to XSX. A few million extra customers isn't something to be sneezed at.  It should offer at least that.

 

MS clearly don't give a monkey's though, if they're not including Virtualink or a second hdmi port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.