rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Needs more tractors, horses and witches broomsticks! And the option to WALK

(presumably the horizon games have some bullshit story mode populated by all white men characters?)

29 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

(presumably the horizon games have some bullshit story mode populated by all white men characters?)

au contraire! The boss of the horizon festival is a female woman of the opposite sex.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bojangle said:

It’s their GDC stuff. I wouldn’t expect any megatons. 

They did have a ray tracing and mesh shader talk schedule for tomorrow but swapped it out for an indie dev talk instead. 

14 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

In as much as it has a story, no, like Sean says, the festival boss in 3 and 4 is a woman,  at least one of them the mechanic is female.

What there isn't, in a game with about 3 physical characters per game is a lot of BAME but Colorado, Australia and middle England are fairly white places. 

And the "player character" of Forza Horizon 4 can basically be anything you damn well like.

I think, after watching the Sony tech reveal, the next generation is Microsoft's to win, providing they have the games. Hopefully the mad buying spree they went on recently results in some decent Xbox + PC exclusives.

Do clocks not matter for the ray tracing parts? It’s only a 25% difference at the max clock?

10 hours ago, Hitcher said:

They are, it's just for longer and at home.

And we’ll be spending the little income we have on beans and big sticks, not £500+ boxes of electronics.

Well it’s obvious that Microsoft have made a far better first impression and I just hope they keep the momentum going.

For an example of the audio stuff that Series X is doing, here's a 9-year old tech demo.

Someone released it as a mod around then and it was really resource-intensive, so it's cool to see it start appearing in games, and it seems a more practical solution than scanning people's ears and relying on them sitting on the same place on the sofa.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

I think, after watching the Sony tech reveal, the next generation is Microsoft's to win, providing they have the games. Hopefully the mad buying spree they went on recently results in some decent Xbox + PC exclusives.

I think the problem is Sony just haven't given us any real information on anything that matters. What's the price? What are they going to do about Game Pass? If you buy Cyberpunk on PS4 do you get the PS5 version? (if anything, they should be more keen on doing this, given their BC strategy looks crap).

And of course, are the games going to be exclusive to PS5? Microsoft's strategy of their first party games coming to both One and Series X for 2 years might mean I'm more likely to buy a PS5 and keep playing Microsoft exclusives on my One X.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

When can we get our preorder on?

I'm sure if you pop down to your local GAME, they'll gladly except your £50 deposit. ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

It seems Microsoft will be combining the different versions of DX12 used on console and PC into one. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-directx-12-ultimate/

About time.   I'll spoo my pants if they let us use the Series X as a PC but locked down(ish) like a Mac.   I can't see them letting it be PC like and let people install anything they want on it.  It'd be cracked in seconds. 

Bah. No optical out means both my Sonos surround system and surround headset are toast. There should be more of a backlash here - these things work totally fine.

That is pretty annoying although it seems hdmi splitters that will take the audio signal and push it out through tos-link are only about 10 quid. Although I have no idea how well they work.

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’d just settle for it working with a Rift.

You spelt Quest wrong ;)

It would be lovely if it worked with currently available VR headsets, but it’s lacking ports for the PC VR ones isn’t it?

So much shininess it actually looks a bit retro. Beyond the Mind's Eye for Series X launch exclusive.

• Upvote 2

The video that Boozy posted looks awful. I can't even tell if it's supposed to be technically impressive or not because it looks like an episode of ReBoot.

• Upvote 2

It looks like 2001 CGI!

Graphics cards manufacturers need to stop because their efforts are always the "programmer tech over art design" mess.

Even just showing RT in a not-even-particularly-new game can show how it looks so much better:

• Upvote 3