rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Yeah, second hand is an issue that kind of burned itself out with the decline of the high street and ubiquity of digital. Game was once about 75% second hand; now it's 75% merchandise and close to going away completely. There's not much for publishers to lose sleep over. I dare say a far bigger proportion of physical game purchases are now motivated by collectability and much less likely to be resold.

20 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Would have to say, with the benefit of cheap digital sales, more digital only games and Gamepass my physical game collection is much reduced this past gen. I have also found the second hand market is not as cost effective as it once was.

I think it depends how willing you are to wait for games to drop in price, etc.

Nintendo Games are often cheaper at release than at any other point, so you can buy and sell them without losing too much money. If you finish a release quickly enough, you can usually get your money back - I bought Doom Eternal for £37 and solid it to CEX for £36.

In general, I rarely play games again, so the option to get any money back at all is a good one for me. I hardly ever buy anything digitally.

Although selling to CEX right now is a hell of a faff.

• Empathy 1

17 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Although selling to CEX right now is a hell of a faff.

CEX give you a free tracked postage label insured up to £100 and 10 days to get the game to them. This is great because you basically have a locked in price for 10 days and can happily keep playing while the price they offer in store drops.

Why anyone would bother going into their shops, quarantine or no quarantine, is beyond me.

• Upvote 8

On 01/04/2020 at 11:49, rafaqat said:

Interesting point about the MS solution being better as it's focused on textures rather than Sony's general purpose solution.   I guess we'll see when games launch. 

We already know how much better Microsoft's BCPack texture compression is over the industry standard Kraken compression tech.

XSX SSD:

2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed) - 2X compression ratio

PS5 SSD:

5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed) - 1.45-1.63X compression ratio

So BCPack is significantly better at compressing texture data. It still doesn't close the gap enough as the PS5 has a significantly faster drive in the first place. PS5 with Microsoft's compression tech would be pushing 11GB/s.

So what happens come launch day and both machines load content within about 4 seconds of each other?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Revival said:

So what happens come launch day and both machines load content within about 4 seconds of each other?

WAR!

• Upvote 4

On 04/04/2020 at 12:27, Revival said:

You really need to get past the whole faster loading aspect of SSDs, that is the least interesting aspect of what they can do versus the current I/O setup. It's one of the major things most developers are actually excited about regarding the Next Generation consoles' capabilities.

When you've even had Phil Spencer tell you in no uncertain terms from the very start why the SSD is important, it seems to be completely ignored, for *reasons* I presume...

On 03/04/2020 at 01:17, wretcherd said:

And we might see an identical £/$/€ figure this time.

Yeah, that’s my $ and £ guess. 

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Game reveals coming soon says insider.

He’s not saying June by any chance is he?

• Upvote 1

He's not saying much. It's a response in a resetera thread to the criticism that all Xbox games are cartoony. This guy says that the games to be revealed soon include high fantasy, big sci fi and that those not impressed by the likes of Bleeding Edge and Grounded's art styles will be impressed by some very exciting reveals.

Also IGN are teasing some big Xbox news for Monday.

• Upvote 1

Which Xbox games are cartoony? I mean, I’m sure there are some, but it’s not a style I’ve noticed as being overly prevalent.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

He's not saying much. It's a response in a resetera thread to the criticism that all Xbox games are cartoony. This guy says that the games to be revealed soon include high fantasy, big sci fi and that those not impressed by the likes of Bleeding Edge and Grounded's art styles will be impressed by some very exciting reveals.

Also IGN are teasing some big Xbox news for Monday.

High Fantasy: Fable 4

sciFi: Halo: Infinite

to be frank, Microsoft have been mostly buying up second tier indie game studios, which makes a lot of sense for ensuring there’s something first party AA coming to Games Pass every three or four months: but I don’t think anyone’s really expecting the likes of Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog’s output - and it wouldn’t really make sense for Microsoft’s subscription service to have two tentpoles per studio per console generation.

Which of Microsoft's studios would you regard as being capable of a tentpole/traditional AAA release? Off the top of my head they now have 343, Turn 10, Playground, Coalition, Ninja Theory and Obsidian who have in the past released games of that scale. Anyone else?

Rare. It just doesn’t seem likely that most of them will.

On 03/04/2020 at 14:03, HarryBizzle said:

Why anyone would bother going into their shops, quarantine or no quarantine, is beyond me.

The only reason I can think of is if you're studying the many and varied types of BO that are available.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Which of Microsoft's studios would you regard as being capable of a tentpole/traditional AAA release? Off the top of my head they now have 343, Turn 10, Playground, Coalition, Ninja Theory and Obsidian who have in the past released games of that scale. Anyone else?

The Initiative (AAAA Studio) Also Flight Sim doesn't exactly look like a it's aiming low. I think Footle's got it massively wrong here. I can see why based on this gen's output that it's easy to expect very little from these studios but I'm expecting big titles from many of MS's first party studios. Ultimately as a Forza fan I got 6 new titles this gen. All of which could be classed as top tier games. I expect the same level of quality if not regularity from most of their new studios next gen.

• Upvote 2

On 04/04/2020 at 13:37, Phil said:

More unendingly tedious posts by fanboys of one corporation or the other proclaiming some sort of victory/failure for one corporation or the other. Also starring generous helpings of Youtube videos from self-proclaimed 'insiders' explaining why console X is doomed/failing/in trouble/the king. 

download.gif

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Rare? Non goggly-eyed Rare preferably. 

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The Initiative (AAAA Studio) Also Flight Sim doesn't exactly look like a it's aiming low. I think Footle's got it massively wrong here. I can see why based on this gen's output that it's easy to expect very little from these studios but I'm expecting big titles from many of MS's first party studios. Ultimately as a Forza fan I got 6 new titles this gen. All of which could be classed as top tier games. I expect the same level of quality if not regularity from most of their new studios next gen.

ok... ... ...

Could they do a new perfect dark game and NOT have whatever remnants of RARE  remain work on it?

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

5 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Asobo Studio are independent currently so it's more of a Crackdown sort of deal where Microsoft own a brand that they've hired a contractor in to do a new iteration for. They've done the same for some other brands they own like Age of Empires IV, where SEGA have loaned out another of their developers (Relic) with apparently nothing better to do than go contracting for somebody else instead of building games directly for them, as The Creative Assembly also did Halo Wars 2 for Microsoft.

That's one way you can increase owned IP output, hire mercs to do it instead of directly employed staff. They've partnered with other indie developers for exclusives, but I doubt they would want to spend the proper big money on a developer who might not be able to do a sequel as they aren't owned by Microsoft, like they used to do back in 2005-2015.

I'm not expecting most of the developers Microsoft have bought recently to morph into the massive budget 5 year+ development schedule league of development.

The stated aim of XGS is to have a new product for Gamepass every 3 months:

For Booty and Microsoft, "every three months feels about right."

"I think about like how long you spend with a game and just sort of the cadence of discovery there," Booty explained. "So if you can do a game every three months, and if a game takes somewhere between two years and four years, I mean, just think about things that have come out recently, you know, things like Red Dead and God of War need to be getting into five, six years. Right? But let's just say for the sorts of studios, like a Ninja theory or a double fine that two, three years starts to be the cadence, right?

"So, then if you've got a game a quarter and you're taking two to three years." Booty continued. "You can kind of back into the math and say, well wow, you probably need somewhere between 10 and 12 studios. But... making games is not yet a perfect science, right? There's no creative endeavor that is. So there's going to be things that take longer. There's going to be some things that we start and say, hey, great idea, but it just isn't, you know, the Jello doesn't want to set. Right. Um, and so I think we need some, some buffer in there, right? So the first, that's kind of my basic answers. We'd love to be feeding a high quality game into game pass about every three months."

42 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I'm not expecting most of the developers Microsoft have bought recently to morph into the massive budget 5 year+ development schedule league of development.

The stated aim of XGS is to have a new product for Gamepass every 3 months

I really like their first party strategy.  In principle, I'll get a lot more entertainment out of four smaller, diverse games than them trying a poor Naughty Dog rip off.  

• Upvote 2

In principle there is nothing wrong with the lower budget more indie style output as it leads to more potential variety. It's more a problem for the section of the fanbase that wants product to compete against the competition, the prestige productions that grab all the headlines and move hardware, like Halo and Gears of War did in their respective hardware generations.

16 minutes ago, mushashi said:

In principle there is nothing wrong with the lower budget more indie style output as it leads to more potential variety. It's more a problem for the section of the fanbase that wants product to compete against the competition, the prestige productions that grab all the headlines and move hardware, like Halo and Gears of War did in their respective hardware generations.

I’m pretty sure they’ll try to emulate what Sony have done this generation with the well crafted, single player epics. You’re right though, they need to variety.