Wonder Woman 1984

Spoiler

A key plot point is that they have to nick a plane because reincarnated Steve Trevor doesn't have a passport. Ignoring the ridiculousness that is apparently the Smithsonian keeps a bunch of planes by the back door, all fuelled up and with the keys left in the ignition. Also ignoring that the guy who has his mind blown by the concept of an escalator can just hop in and pilot a modern jet fighter expertly because he used to fly a biplane. What's the range on a small jet like that btw, USA to Cairo and back seems like a stretch, I wouldn't nitpick it but they specifically raise how far jumbo jets can fly without refuelling shortly before in the film, so it was in my mind at the time. The point I'm trying to get to in a rambling way is the guy whose body he's possessing, the one who the rest of the world see him as, would presumably have a passport back at his flat and they don't even think about using that.

So is everybody still looking forward to Rogue Squadron?

Yes this was long. Suicide Squad is NOT better than this. There are plot holes and stupid, such stupid script choices!  But what I really liked is the relationship between WW and Steve, there’s a few cute moments where WW is leading him by the hand, the time in the plane was lovely too. CatWig looked cool too. 

This needs a recut, there’s plenty of meat to save but this script should have been questioned and talked about before they filmed. 

On 26/12/2020 at 19:11, RubberJohnny said:

The movie physics in here is baffling, I'm not one of those pedants moaning about movie mistakes on a youtube channel, but trying to get the audience to accept that scraping 6-year olds along the asphalt at 80mph counts as saving them from getting hurt because you rolled on top of them was a bit much.

I didn’t mind that. The cartoony physics and tone felt quite fun and silly, at least when they weren’t deployed via weightless CG. The problem is it’s not very tonally consistent and doesn’t have much flavour or character as a result. That bouncy early action scene felt like something out of a Schwarzenegger comedy but wasn’t repeated. 

Somewhere in here is a 90 minute film which works, but it’s far too bogged down in unnecessary extraneous detail and wrinkles which don’t serve the characters or the plot. I wanted one or two of the leads to go away so the film could focus for a moment. It felt like being told a poorly remembered story by three drunk people at once. 

There are some far too extreme opinions in this thread though. It’s a faltering and bloated 5/10 sort of film but it’s not remarkably catastrophic or really remarkable in any sense. 

On the plus side Pedro Pascal is very watchable, he must have read the script and thought he’d bring the appropriate level of nuance to the role :lol:

The film seems to emphasise non-violence, with WW taking pains to avoid killing anyone throughout. But then at the end she knocks a bunch of soldiers into the water and they don’t get out, and then the water gets electrocuted.

I think you’re just supposed not too think about anything too hard.

There are some far too extreme opinions in this thread though. It’s a faltering and bloated 5/10 sort of film but it’s not remarkably catastrophic or really remarkable in any sense. 

I can’t name a single thing it does as well or better than the original, that’s pretty remarkable.

9 hours ago, Sabreman said:

The worst thing about this movie is the Operation Wolf cabinet in the mall, in 1984. Like... at least do a bit of homework eh.

Escalators were invented in 1892, Underground Stations in London started having them installed prior to WWI. That's the thing they decide to have him staggered and confused by using, but modern fighter plane controls are a-ok.

EDIT: Lol I forgot that fireworks are apparently an amazing new concept to him as well.

Was surprised by how awful this was after really enjoying the first film. 

Spoiler

Also, can someone explain to me why Kristen Wiig turned into a fucking cat person at the end? She had already used her wish and she asked the monkey paw bloke to make her into an apex predator.

Even if he used his wish-consequence power to direct some strength and agility etc. to her from other people I still don’t see how that turns her into a cat unless after pets were making wishes as well.

nvm, according to the internet he just decided to be generous and give her a second wish... 

The campy 80s opening made me think we were in for a fun superhero movie and then the following 2 hours proved to be waaay worse than I could’ve imagined.

What a deeply strange film! Bits I absolutely loved: 

Spoiler

the mall opening. Steve looking at a bin as if it was art. Kristen Wiig simply existing. Pedro Pascal going full ham. The invisible jet. 

And bits that I hated

Spoiler

Why was Steve inhabiting someone else's body never really addressed? The Egypt scenes. The Reagan scenes. Jellicle Wiig. 

Overall a solid 9/10 because fuck it it's a superhero film in 2020 I'm willing to throw away critical thought in favour of escapism. Maybe if we'd had some MCU lately I'd be more critical but as we haven't I properly rate this. 

2 hours ago, bobontheway said:

Was surprised by how awful this was after really enjoying the first film. 

Hide contents

Also, can someone explain to me why Kristen Wiig turned into a fucking cat person at the end? She had already used her wish and she asked the monkey paw bloke to make her into an apex predator.

Even if he used his wish-consequence power to direct some strength and agility etc. to her from other people I still don’t see how that turns her into a cat unless after pets were making wishes as well.

nvm, according to the internet he just decided to be generous and give her a second wish... 

The campy 80s opening made me think we were in for a fun superhero movie and then the following 2 hours proved to be waaay worse than I could’ve imagined.

My only guess is because 

Spoiler

She got her wish before he became the Wishmaster

19 hours ago, Madness said:

What a deeply strange film! Bits I absolutely loved: 

Hide contents

the mall opening. Steve looking at a bin as if it was art. Kristen Wiig simply existing. Pedro Pascal going full ham. The invisible jet. 

And bits that I hated

Hide contents

Why was Steve inhabiting someone else's body never really addressed? The Egypt scenes. The Reagan scenes. Jellicle Wiig. 

Overall a solid 9/10 because fuck it it's a superhero film in 2020 I'm willing to throw away critical thought in favour of escapism. Maybe if we'd had some MCU lately I'd be more critical but as we haven't I properly rate this. 

Username checks out.