rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

There's a lot of rumours that John Delaney might be forced out of the FAI in the next few days. Great news but it'd only be a start. 

Ashley Barnes got booked yesterday for kissing Joe Bennett on the nose.

_106441470_hi053428131.jpg.7841ba94c40782c908d771a364b2b987.jpg

Cardiff are virtually relegated. 5 points off Brighton with 5 games left and Brighton have a game in hand. and the goal difference is hugely in Brighton's favour so that's another point. They play Brighton next Tuesday and anything but a Cardiff win won't be good enough as they've got Man Utd and Liverpool still to play. Cardiff were a surprise promotion last season and I think Warnock will likely retire at the end of the season.  Love him or loathe him, I think he's the last manager of his type we'll ever see.

It would be lovely to play a side just once whose entire gameplan against Chelsea wasn't "Constantly hack down Eden Hazard".

• Empathy 2

Of course it'd also be nice to be a Chelsea whose entire gameplan wasn't "Hazard will save us"

And a brick wall wouldn't have stopped that one.

Why don't Chelsea have a player like Salah?  Oh yeah, when he played for Chelsea I was literally the only person who liked him.

• Upvote 2

It’s going to be a interesting finish to the league for the title and top four, my day of Liverpool supporting is over and ended with a good result for Spurs as pressure is off against Man City now - can only see an Arsenal win tomorrow so suddenly Chelsea v Man U is a huge game for both of them.

Loads of matches for all the teams in the final chase that are complete banana skins so can see it all being decided on the last day!

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

It’s going to be a interesting finish to the league for the title and top four, my day of Liverpool supporting is over and ended with a good result for Spurs as pressure is off against Man City now - can only see an Arsenal win tomorrow so suddenly Chelsea v Man U is a huge game for both of them.

Loads of matches for all the teams in the final chase that are complete banana skins so can see it all being decided on the last day!

5 of Arsenal's 6 remaining games are away so they'll only get 3 points

5 minutes ago, wev said:

5 of Arsenal's 6 remaining games are away so they'll only get 3 points

Thats part of it, easier on paper games but poor away form while we have plenty of home games inc West Ham’s cup final - every team has the ability to throw it away or win the rest of their games!

20 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Ashley Barnes got booked yesterday for kissing Joe Bennett on the nose.

_106441470_hi053428131.jpg.7841ba94c40782c908d771a364b2b987.jpg

Cardiff are virtually relegated. 5 points off Brighton with 5 games left and Brighton have a game in hand. and the goal difference is hugely in Brighton's favour so that's another point. They play Brighton next Tuesday and anything but a Cardiff win won't be good enough as they've got Man Utd and Liverpool still to play. Cardiff were a surprise promotion last season and I think Warnock will likely retire at the end of the season.  Love him or loathe him, I think he's the last manager of his type we'll ever see.

I don’t think we’ll do it, but we still have a small chance if, if, if we win Tuesday given how bad Brighton looked against Bournemouth.

We obviously aren’t too good to go down and we’ve never had the squad, but I fell like we ‘deserve’ at least a couple more weeks and a few more points before we go back to the Championship.

We (Liverpool) will probably lose to Cardiff because it'd be such a Liverpool of old thing to do. 

I heard several people on the radio over the weekend asking what had Neil Warnock done in a previous life to get such a run of bad luck with refs.

A previous life ? 

• Upvote 8

"Kingsley Coman has won the league every season since his professional debut - 2013 and 2014 with PSG, 2015 with Juventus and 2016, 2017 and 2018 with Bayern."

3 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I don’t think we’ll do it, but we still have a small chance if, if, if we win Tuesday given how bad Brighton looked against Bournemouth.

We obviously aren’t too good to go down and we’ve never had the squad, but I fell like we ‘deserve’ at least a couple more weeks and a few more points before we go back to the Championship.

Unfortunately for you, Brighton have us coming up, and we love losing to teams down there, and also, Brighton are a bit of a bogey side for Wolves.

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Unfortunately for you, Brighton have us coming up, and we love losing to teams down there, and also, Brighton are a bit of a bogey side for Wolves.

As a Brighton fan, I desparately want this to be true but I fear we might scrape a draw against Cardiff given how we struggled against Huddersfield a few weeks ago. Wolves are simply much better than us (that win against you earlier in the season aside) so our poor current form coupled with our abysmal away form will probably result in a Wolves win.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirkCrisis said:

As a Brighton fan, I desparately want this to be true but I fear we might scrape a draw against Cardiff given how we struggled against Huddersfield a few weeks ago. Wolves are simply much better than us (that win against you earlier in the season aside) so our poor current form coupled with our abysmal away form will probably result in a Wolves win.

I was at the game earlier in the season at the Amex and we absolutely battered you, but Duffy and Dunk played out their skin, and the ball just dropped on Murray's toe for the only goal (His 100th for Brighton I think).

We don't like playing teams in blue and white stripes.

The only time I remember us beating Brighton was in a 1-0 win where Wolverhampton-born Connor Goldson was kind enough to score an own goal for us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, humdrum said:

Surprised there has been no mention of the flare/smoke grenade apparently thrown from liverpool supports into the away end.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11694672/merseyside-police-looking-into-flare-thrown-into-chelsea-fans-during-liverpool-match

Fucking dickheads. Hope they catch the twat who did that. Bad enough any time, but fucking moron doing it yesterday of all days. 

• Upvote 2

Relegation update.

Last, last chance saloon edition

Cardiff 28pts 

Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Fulham (a), Palace (h) Man U (a)

We are almost certainly done for after losing at Turf Moor, with only 1 team left to try and catch. Fortunately, we play them on Tuesday – win in Brighton and we go 2 points behind with 4 to play. Brighton have a slightly worse run-in with a very difficult game in hand so we’d still have a chance. A draw on Tuesday is probably no good and a loss would be game over with us then needing 3 wins out of 4 at a minimum with Brighton  (or Southampton) not picking up anymore points. We aren’t playing badly and not getting a lot of luck with decisions, but we are too toothless up front.

Brighton 33pts

Cardiff(h), Wolves(a), Spurs(a), Newcastle(h), Arsenal(a), Man City(h)

A terrible result at home to Bournemouth and Brighton look in big trouble if not for Cardiff being 5 points behind them. They have to avoid defeat against the Bluebirds on Tuesday or they could be in trouble given they appear to be in freefall.

Southampton 36pts

Newcastle (a), Watford (a), Bournemouth (h), West Ham (a), Huddersfield (h)

A very good win at Wolves means Southampton are pretty much safe. Even if Cardiff start clocking up wins, it is hard to see The Saints not getting to at least the 40 point mark with a nice 5 game run-in.

Newcastle 38pts

Newcastle’s win at Leicester means they are all good for next season barring a Cardiff miracle and Brighton also clocking up loads of points. A win against Southampton would make 100% certain regardless of what anyone else gets upto.

Southampton(h), Brighton(a), Liverpool(h), Fulham (a).

Burnley 39pts

Chelsea (a), Man City (h), Everton (a), Arsenal (h).

Beating Cardiff has to be enough to ensure Burnley stay in the top flight next year. They may struggle to pick up anymore points, but 39 should be enough.

Crystal Palace 39pts

Arsenal (a), Everton (h), Cardiff (a), Bournemouth (h).

As with Burnley, 39 points will be enough, but Palace have games they can get more points in although they may get conflicted against Cardiff if Brighton can be relegated.

• Upvote 3

"Whenever I play against Arsenal, I’ll go up and think ‘let me whack the first one and see who wants it’.”

At least he's a man of his word. 

• Upvote 1

He's done a lot for this club but sometimes he just needs to shut up. And it's not like we beat Arsenal a lot, I think it's happened twice in recent memory. 

Also that was a deserved sending off. 'Leaving something on them' is one thing, stupid shit like that when you've just gone one down is unforgivable. Annoying because he's been pretty good on the disciplinary front this season.

• Upvote 2

a) how the fuck have Watford not equalised?

b) how the fuck have we got to the point where Arsenal can be played off the park by 10 men of a mid-table side?