Football Thread 2018/19

Plissken

I assume it didn't escape your attention that the first one was "scored" by one of the Chelsea loanees too.  They actually announced the 2nd as a Zappacosta goal in the stadium. I don't know how, we all saw it.

Lovely reception for Lampard by the way, he stayed on the pitch for a good 5 minutes after the match along with Jody Morris who isn't getting the same coverage but got exactly the same reception.

2018-10-31 19.34.59.jpg

2018-10-31_19_35_49.jpg

Not going tomorrow as I'm away, but imagine it's going to be a very emotional day for Leicester and a strange one for Cardiff (if that's the right word)

By the sounds of it, we've got things planned to show support and respect towards Leicester and last Saturday's terrible tragedy.

Hard to contemplate what might happen on the pitch. It's not going to be business as usual for the Leicester players and I suspect our players are going to be feeling something as well.

Leicester's last match before Vichai took over was the end of the 2010 season - Cardiff vs Leicester in the play off semi final second leg.

The plan amusingly includes Arsenal which reminds me of the old Bolton chairman wanting to make the Premier League a closed shop just before they were relegated. It’s always been a case of when and not if with the European Super League especially for teams like PSG who are not in a competitive domestic league.

A European superleague would mean a lot of entitled fans would have to get used to losing a hell of a lot more, someone's going to be bottom.

I think the lower end of that group, and a lot of years I absolutely count Chelsea as a candidate for that, might end up regretting it.

EDIT : Ah I see it's a closed shop CL replacement rather than an EPL one.  That's somehow even dumber.

I don't get it. I am in the minority of liking the current champions league format. I like the group games. I like that teams from lesser leagues go up against big clubs and can conceivably end in the top two and go far in the tournament. It rarely happens, i know, but that's not the fault of the format. And when it does, it's fantastic. Yeah the name 'champions league' doesn't work. 

A closed league would be the worst thing - what's the point? Any tournament or league without that possibility for unexpected outstanding teams to beat the bigger sides and progress far loses the spirit of sport. Also would it not further create a divide between the top teams and the rest, in terms of players desiring to play for a select group of teams ?

The only thing i don't like about the champions league is that by the time the quarter and semi finals come around and the big match ups are made, players are often too knackered to perform at their best. Resulting in dire nullifying games, or ones so lopsided that it's ultimately disappointing that you don't get classic back and forth goal fests. It's all one way, every time. Kind of. You do get a few slight comebacks. It's just not two big teams performing at their best. I think the group games better reflect that. 

Also the away goal rule should go. The most stupid thing in high level football, along with penalties awarded for unintended hand balls. 

Pushing forward the champions league second round, quarter, semi and final to finish by Christmas wouldn't be possible and would seem weird. Maybe decrease the number of teams in each league? Drop to 18/16 maybe. Always so much shite there anyway. A few less games wouldn't make much difference i suppose. Cup games are mostly knock out now, still replays sometimes though. Maybe start the season earlier. When is the premier league getting its winter break? It's just one weekend isn't it. woww. 

I like big teams going against small teams. So often the big team batters the small team. So what, don't be shit. Some people moan about it because they've betted on the small team winning and been let down again. 

I don't want to see the big teams face each other often, 20 years of that will get boring fast. It should be rare. Like how you think Arsenal haven't faced Real Madrid that much...just..twice?? in 2006, when the bbc report has it that 'David Beckham wasted Real's best two chances in the first half'. Yeah Arsenal have faced Barcelona and Bayern Munich dozens of time in the last 12 years...it's not perfect. Or Liverpool vs Barcelona, I'd love to see that this season and would prefer it be something of a rarity; if not this season then maybe next. A site has it that they've faced each other competitively just 8 times in 42 years. Mid 70s, early 00s, mid 00s.

this is an old perennial story that tends to come up whenever the PL collective bargaining or distribution of UEFA CL funds come up for negotiation

I do believe that the recent international national league games have shown you do generate a bit more interest in something when you stream teams together based on some sort of ranking, but that has the idea of relegation and promotion baked into it.

the current CL format does see a lot of crap matches that struggle to classify as elite, I'd rather see some sort of tiered european competition with promotion/relegation and a route in/out as incentive to clubs - closed shop is a bad idea.

It really wouldn't. There'd be no more highs of the underdog getting everything right and beating Utd at Old Trafford with all of the associated fallout. You'd just have Boro vs Stoke playing on a damp Friday night and everyone moaning about rubbish negative football.

A Premier league without the top organised teams would be super crappy.

It was more of a comment that the plan includes Arsenal who have gone from being a Champions League constant of the last 20 years but have fallen back in the last two into the Europa League and are now missing out on the riches that the Champions League provides and becoming part of a closed shop would stop that being a problem.

This most recent plans appear to be driven by Agnelli at Juventus who wants to move away from Serie A because it is not attractive to him 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/23/juventus-andrea-agnelli-reshape-european-football-infantino-champions-league

His proposed reordering is clearly thought out already: for the top clubs to play more European prestige games – and make more money – by expanding the Champions League format. He argues the European elite should play fewer games in their national leagues, which should reduce the number of clubs, even divisions.

This prospect has barely been raised in England, where the so-called big six clubs are more immediately trying to secure a greater share of their own league’s international-TV millions. But Agnelli repeatedly emphasises that top Premier League teams are involved in the discussions.

“We all want more international [European] games and less domestic, combined with an overall reduction of games because we don’t want to go over a certain number. And we said: ‘Let’s come up with a proposal.’”

Agnelli suggests the expansion should keep 32 clubs qualifying for the Champions League, but have four groups of eight teams in the opening stage instead of eight of four. That would mean each club plays at least 14 matches, eight more than the current six. Asked what this will mean for national leagues, Agnelli appears comfortable with them being further undermined.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

It really wouldn't. There'd be no more highs of the underdog getting everything right and beating Utd at Old Trafford with all of the associated fallout. You'd just have Boro vs Stoke playing on a damp Friday night and everyone moaning about rubbish negative football.

It would, because you'll still have promotion and regulation, which for most 'real' football fans makes or breaks their season. 

21 minutes ago, Revival said:

What's the definition of a 'real' football fan?

I think it's somebody who watches shit teams for years and was unfortunate enough not to have been born near any of the bigger teams.

By default being born near say Arsenal or Liverpool means you are a stupid glory hunter and should really be watching Barnet or Tranmere anyway whose grounds were 500m closer to your exact point of birth, if you were a proper fan and not some glory hunting scum you'd be watching crap teams in dilapidated half empty grounds as some hair shirt like penance instead of choosing at the age of 5-6y old to be attracted to high level football with top level players who you have followed ever since.

I think it's all about suffering, then like some football vegan you can announce yourself as a proper fan whenever the chance arises - and it arises often if you think you are one. 

3 hours ago, Revival said:

Or, you know, just an even playing field? There were 'big clubs' before Man City and Chelsea bought their way into this closed shop. I'd love to see an English top division with the likes of Leeds, Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland, Derby, Everton, Forest, the Sheffield clubs etc competing on an even keel and a genuinely unpredictable title race. 

14 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm still not sure why clubs would go for it, certainly in England where the big sides can double dip on Premier League money and Champions League money.   Will this new European Super League generate £150m a season for each club involved?  Will it fuck. 

Depending on how they structure things it could generate that sort of money by boosting their commercial revenue in addition to their share of the broadcast rights. 

If they ever did go for a full on European superleague then it's pretty much a given that teams would give up some of their home matches in order to play matches in front of their international fans. The English teams, and possibly Celtic, would probably all want a match in Dublin, Man Utd and Liverpool would want matches in Thailand, Man City and PSG in the UAE and Qatar etc. 

I reckon the teams could easily get £150m a year from a "Hurricanes" style Euro-League. For TV companies itd be the biggest priority to obtain the rights, as whose gonna watch La Liga, Bundesliga etc without Bayern, Dortmund Barca et al? Or how much would EPL viewership drop without "The Big Six"? Would Champions League and Uefa cup still exist or not? And again whose gonna watch that on TV without A-List teams? 

As for "real fans" anybody who goes to local teams games regularlyor as much as can be afforded is a real fan to me.