rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stejay

Gaming surfaces

I’m never going to own a purpose built gaming table, but would like something better than just playing on our bare dining table. We’ve tried a table cloth in the past, but even with weights or clips on the corners there can be unwelcome movement. I’m leaning towards getting a sheet of neoprene that will hopefully roll up and flatten out again repeatedly. What do you lot here use?

35 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

We got a neoprene mat from Deep-Cut Studio to cover our table, really good value considering the size and how costly some smaller playmats are.

Which one did you get? They all appear to be designed for wargames really, and I’d like something more neutral for general board gaming. I was thinking about the cobblestone one, but it’s hard to judge what it will be like from the web site.

We got the space one, which is neutral enough (although sometimes it does feel a bit funny to be playing stuff like 7 Wonders: Duel in spaaaaace...) They do plain black as well as far as I know.

• Upvote 1

At home I use custom-made wooden table surfaces, but when I play at my FLGS we use neoprene mats from Microart studios. I was skeptical to begin with, being firly old school, but they've won me over.

One of the benefits which may not be obvious to begin with is that chipping is apparently lesser on a mat, due to models falling onto a padded rather than hard surface.

• Upvote 1

You could always take a look at Yoga Mats, as they're usually either made from neoprene or a similar non-stick surface over a foam backing. They're generally 6ft x 2ft, so are a good size for gaming tables. Two of them may only set you back about £20ish, compared to about £60 for a printed 6x4 from Deep-Cut or UrbanMatz.

That said, I've got about 10 neoprene gaming mats hanging around the house, and I absolutely love them. I've just received one of Deep-Cut's 6x3 Wild West mats, which is great for Star Wars Legion.

• Upvote 3