Life Is Strange 2 | Episode 1 of 5 released 27th September 2018

ryodi

I noticed that the Episodes 2-5 bundle has now been priced at £26.79. That prices the season at £33.58 if you buy Episode 1 separately, which is all of 79p more expensive than the complete season. You miss out on the Arcadia Bay sticker pack for your backpack if you buy it this way, but that's it.

Where's all the buzz on this? LiS was a real forum darling, but it's tumbleweed in here. I wonder if having BtS in the middle has fatigued people a bit on the whole thing?

Don't snooze on this if you liked LiS, it's fantastic. I played through part one in a single sitting last night, I was gripped.

I was a bit apprehensive for the first half hour or so as starts out with you doing the usual LiS stuff of rooting round your own house looking at invoices and postcards and talking to yourself whilst getting ready for a high school party and I was thinking, well, this is all very all LiS reheated and served back to us then BAM it all totally kicks off and never looks back.

The interactions between the brothers and dialogue in general is much more natural than the first game (either they've got better at it or find writing boys easier).

For me, it's a combination of the price (£25 is the cheapest I can find it) and the fact that I'm not really especially interested in two random brothers. I'm sure it will all tie in but at the moment I don't see why it's called Life is Strange, and it costing twice as much as BTS (£13.50 at launch for the deluxe edition) makes me very hesitant to take a punt on it.

It’s very good. It’s very much its own thing despite some slight links to both the first one and Captain Spirit. If you’re not sure that they can do a story about some other characters and make it work, just get Captain Spirit first (it’s free!).

16 minutes ago, Radish said:

For me, it's a combination of the price (£25 is the cheapest I can find it) and the fact that I'm not really especially interested in two random brothers. I'm sure it will all tie in but at the moment I don't see why it's called Life is Strange, and it costing twice as much as BTS (£13.50 at launch for the deluxe edition) makes me very hesitant to take a punt on it.

I can see how some people wanted more Max, to be honest I think your concerns will melt away when you play this. It's very much in the same mould as the first one. As for cost, you could buy it an episode at a time? As pointed out up thread, buying the whole season will only save you 70p.

But yeah, I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper down the line.

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Where's all the buzz on this? LiS was a real forum darling, but it's tumbleweed in here. I wonder if having BtS in the middle has fatigued people a bit on the whole thing?

Just waiting for all episodes to be released + the inevitable sale price.  Divinity OS2, FH4 and ACO are all monsters of games time wise, and The Council is my current episodic game of choice.

Life is Strange came out of nowhere and blew everyone away with this obviously fictional rites of passage tale about time travel. Sure, it tackled some pretty dark stuff, but it never felt real to me. It was an adventure. A good time despite

Spoiler

not saving Kate on my initial play, and the horrible things that transpired for poor RA.

Life is Strange 2 feels all too real. A proper sign of the times, and proof that reality is always darker than fiction.

Spoiler

From the cop's shoot first question later response, to the old guy at the petrol station's 'you are why we need a wall' comment. This is post Trump US at it's worse with added Carrie.

It's tough going. Those poor kids man. At least Seth Rogen offered some actual humanity.

I really wanna play it but I'm also waiting for all the episodes to be out and the bundle to go on sale. Way too expensive for me, at this point. And I'm waiting precisely because I do not want another Walking Dead situation on my hands.

13 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Someone mentioned upthread that buying each episode as it comes out only works out as 70p more expensive than buying the bundle and that tipped me over the edge. With a bit of credit from selling cards it only cost me a fiver on Sunday morning.

Well, it's 70 more expensive if you buy Episode 1 and the 2-5 bundle. Nobody knows what the other episodes will cost yet, assuming you can buy the rest individually.

The setting/theme hasn't enticed me  - and none of the trailers changed my mind

I got LiS pretty much on the basis on a single trailer (think it's this one - but dont have sound) - I'm a sucker for a good marketing campaign

Also lots of other games atm...so even when I waiver on episode 1, WoW, Destiny etc distract me

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Someone mentioned upthread that buying each episode as it comes out only works out as 70p more expensive than buying the bundle and that tipped me over the edge. With a bit of credit from selling cards it only cost me a fiver on Sunday morning.

That isn't true for the PC version - it's £25 for the season, so that's cheaper than buying the episodes individually - but still twice as much as Before The Storm and the first Life is Strange. 

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

18,000 peak players of the original on Steam

16,000 peak players on Before the Storm

4,407 on this.

Uh ho....

Yeah, that's the impression I was getting. So did BtS shit the bed (which I don't think was the case), or was it Captain Spirit that did (which would be weird given it was a short freebie), or have people got so hung up on the idea that LiS has to be teenage girls that they are skipping this? Or simply the higher price?

Or possibly - a post-Telltale backlash against episodic games? Timing of that was pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Yeah, that's the impression I was getting. So did BtS shit the bed (which I don't think was the case), or was it Captain Spirit that did (which would be weird given it was a short freebie), or have people got so hung up on the idea that LiS has to be teenage girls that they are skipping this? Or simply the higher price?

Or possibly - a post-Telltale backlash against episodic games? Timing of that was pretty bad.

Combination of the last three, I think. If it starred Chloe and Max again it'd be doing better, but the increased price is a factor (even if you can see where the money went) and wariness of the episodic model with TWD being left in limbo will hardly have helped. Seems to have had less coverage, too. 

1 minute ago, Rudderless said:

Combination of the last three, I think. If it starred Chloe and Max again it'd be doing better, but the increased price is a factor (even if you can see where the money went) and wariness of the episodic model with TWD being left in limbo will hardly have helped. Seems to have had less coverage, too. 

At least with an episodic game they will have a couple of saving throws. A demo, perhaps (up to the turning point of the first episode), or making episode 1 free when episode 2 comes out. I hope they don't end up having to cut it short.

I'm fairly certain they'll see it through. Telltale might have seemed to come out of the blue, but they had a large round of layoffs last year and a report of bad management came out earlier this year, so while the closure was a shock there were clear signs of trouble. Not so much with Dontnod, far as I can tell. 

Vampyr might have a negative affect on Dontnod's finances. Shortly after release it had sold nearly 500k copies, which they said they were pleased with - but initially said they needed to sell 1m copies for it to be considered successful. It has time to reach those sales, but it didn't review especially well unfortunately so there might not have been much interest in the game post launch. 

Despite my original stubbornness I got round to finishing Captain Spirit (using a walkthrough to save time) and actually got quite into it. So much so that I then bought Life is Strange 2 and finished the first episode over a few days. It's brilliant. It doesn't feel especially like Life is Strange due to the different tone and types of relationships, but the quality is certainly there. It's a far better introduction to the series than the first Life is Strange episode was (although I liked it more than most other people seem to). 

I haven’t bought it yet mostly because of the price and Before The Storm dropped in price very quickly after release. I wonder if it being a slow burn sales wise is expected, I didn’t get into the first game until Episode 4 had been released and this game has also come out at the same time as FIFA, Tomb Raider and Assassins Creed which cannot have helped.

Was peak players for the first two during first episode? Or at the end when lots had picked it up (and or were rushing for the ending?)

I might get this this weekend. I like Dontnod and want to support them, and I'd be getting it eventually anyway...