Life Is Strange 2 | Episode 1 of 5 released 27th September 2018

ryodi

• 2 weeks later...

Finished episode 1 tonight. 

Really enjoyed it and the quality of storytelling was excellent. Gonna listen to the computer game show spoilercast on my run in the morning. 

I really hope this gets picked up by more places and does well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And done. Really enjoyed that and played it in one setting. Looking forward to the next episode! Seth Rogan was great. The kid reminds me a bit too much of Max and the boy in Captain Spirit though, facially.

Spoiler

What is it with all the amazing, dead fathers in Life is Strange though. It's so sad :(

Edit: lmao I take it that comment above was a joke regarding Seth Rogan. I just kept thinking "I know his voice" so I thought it was for real :facepalm::lol: 

• 1 month later...

Confirmed that season 2 episode 2 will launch at the same time on Xbox Game Pass. A big "fuck you" to people that had already paid for the full season. Really annoyed as I was hesitant to buy it as it was twice the price of the first season and now it's available on a service I've already subscribed to (before even the second episode is out), so that's £25 wasted. Certainly the last time I buy anything from DontNod.

Well, I was ready to play it :D I should have learned from Telltale not to buy something before the entire season had finished, but I heard really positive things about LiS 2 episode 1 and wanted to play it.

I could see the argument that these sorts of games need support from fans but it doesn't feel like I was given a choice in the matter - if I'd known from day 1 that it was going to join Xbox Game Pass before episode 2 was even released, I'd definitely have held off from purchasing it.

Anyway, Episode 2 is out tomorrow apparently. Doesn't seem to be much hype? Maybe releasing it at the same time as RE2 and KH3 is less than ideal.

Episode 1 was available to buy individually though, although to be fair I'd have probably been tempted to buy the whole season if money wasn't a bit tight at the time. And yeah, if I'd known it was headed to Game Pass I would have just waited for that too, but I can't say I'm too bothered about that.

There seems to be less of an appetite for this sort of game in general these days, which is no doubt partly down to Telltale releasing a new one every other week before they went under. Episode 1 was great though, so hopefully the Game Pass release will generate a bit more of a buzz.

Incidentally, the first two issues of the Life Is Strange comic are out now, and it's rather good so far. It captures the feel of the first season perfectly.

I'd be pissed off too if I had an XBox, that's crazy. If they need the cash to keep going (surely the only reason they would do such a dick move) then I guess it's better than the alternative but doesn't inspire confidence for the rest of it. I'm going to keep buying the episodes individually even though I presume it's now a lock in for PS+, Twitch Prime, Humble Bundle and whatever else is going.

The first episode probably sold terribly (the hype has been non-existant so far as I can see) and Microsoft have basically given them a lifeline. It definitely sucks for people who paid for the season pass but preferable to the season not being completed/being produced on a shoestring budget.

11 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Everyone's angry that the game no-one bought is going on gamepass...

:doh:

There are nearly 500 people playing Lis 1 ep 1 right now. There are 82 people playing LiS2 ep 1 right now. What do you expect them to do? 

I don't think anyone was particularly annoyed at ep 1 going on gamepass, it ep 2 going on release day that sets alarm bells ringing. Not so much in a "oh no I wasted money" type of way, but more in a "oh dear, this project seems fucked" kind of way. It's a crying shame, episode 1 was excellent.

On that reasoning all Microsoft 1st party games are fucked as well.  The rationale that increased awareness generates sales but of course these days we're all whistling in the wind when it comes to sales data.....  I think medium-term trends in the types / variety of games going onto the programme and / or any increases in cost of subscriptions will tell us if either the publishers or MS are having second thoughts.  

2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I don't think anyone was particularly annoyed at ep 1 going on gamepass, it ep 2 going on release day that sets alarm bells ringing. Not so much in a "oh no I wasted money" type of way, but more in a "oh dear, this project seems fucked" kind of way. It's a crying shame, episode 1 was excellent.

Not just here, it's getting neg review bombed on Steam for it too I see.

I think the first ep of Season 2 was amazing. Just a great story to put out with the world in the shit state that it is. The more people that get to play it the better, and I just hope it can get enough momentum to see the series completed.

I think it was a massive mistake releasing LIS ep1 like 4/5 months before ep2 has come out. I'm just going to wait for all the episodes, especially when the price drops considerably anyway.

It's bad form to treat your fans like that. Also, if it took 4 months for the ep2 to come out, will it ever all come out this year?

Have Dontnod confirmed whether or not this is doing badly? I received a survey from Square-Enix a couple of months ago asking me if I was going to buy it and if I wasn't, what I'd like to see from it that would bring me on board. Made me wonder if SE or Dontnod are going to revise their original plans to introduce changes that would bring LiS1 and BtS players back.

Episode 3 opening caption:

"Sean and Daniel died on their way back to their home planet".

Enter - Chloe and Max!

Funny to see how they managed to jog a mostly male playerbase out of their rut of expecting to play as male characters and have them buy into playing as teenage girls, only for them to be stuck in their new rut of wanting to only play as teenage girls.

15 hours ago, Radish said:

Confirmed that season 2 episode 2 will launch at the same time on Xbox Game Pass. A big "fuck you" to people that had already paid for the full season. Really annoyed as I was hesitant to buy it as it was twice the price of the first season and now it's available on a service I've already subscribed to (before even the second episode is out), so that's £25 wasted. Certainly the last time I buy anything from DontNod.

I guess it's slightly different because it's being released episodically but that's still not that different to you buying a game that'd take you ages to complete and MS sticking it on GamePass.  that's going to happen more and more right?  Just wondering where the annoyance was coming from.

LOL, either that's a quick U-turn, or the XBox twitter account really messed up. Dontnod crying for their Steam reviews.

10 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I guess it's slightly different because it's being released episodically but that's still not that different to you buying a game that'd take you ages to complete and MS sticking it on GamePass.  that's going to happen more and more right?  Just wondering where the annoyance was coming from.

It was more like if you pre-ordered a game, and it came to game pass on the same day it was released. (Don't even need the analogy in fact, that's exactly what it was said to be.) But it seems like that was not true after all, and we can all stand down.

OK, so I went to buy this last night on PSN, and it's not 'available for purchase'?! I was kindly directed to a page inviting me to buy a 2-5 bundle for £26.99, who knows if that would even let me download ep 2 if I bought it. Even so, I just want to buy the single episode! Christ alive they are not doing themselves many favours. Is this a timed restriction?

OK, well if it has been fixed on Steam already hopefully it is just a glitch. Episodic games are often a faff, some of the Telltale games required the most esoteric workarounds to get episodes to download.

EDIT: Haha, just checked their Twitter feed and the replies are wall to wall complaints about this. No official response, which is worrying.