Desert Island Discs - game edition.

GamesGamesGames

Ooooo this is a good one, going to want generally games with quite a bit of replayability but my choices -

Luxury item first - HTC Vive so that should I want to escape from the desert island I can do.

Assuming we don't need to pick the console as our luxury item?

Games -

GTA V (My online choice as it's such an open sandbox that you can have plenty of fun in) - PS4

Fallout 4 VR (For some escapism) - PC

Minecraft (Again I can use the VR if I want to escape) but with all the free time I have imagine what you could create  - PC

The Witcher 3 as it's my top game currently - PC

Beat Saber (I haven't played this yet but it sounds like it would be a good way to keep fit / in shape) - PC

Civilization V (Just the single player mode here as already chosen my online game) - PC

Mario Kart - Switch

Zelda Breath of the wild - Switch

Super Monkey Ball - Gamecube
OutRun 2 SP - Xbox 360

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii
Hotline Miami - PSP
Point Blank - PS1

Forza Horizon 3 - XB1

Tiger Woods 2004 - PS2

Halo Reach - Xbox 1 (online)

Edge Special Edition: The 100 Greatest Videogames to browse through.

A little stuffed Yoshi to keep me safe at night.

OK let's do this.

Sleep Is Death (PC online; trusted friend): I would get lonely. This would take me out of that more than any other game. Plus no game offers more benefit to getting good.

BotW (Switch): Haven't played. Reads like a dream game. Happy to take a chance.

Into the Breach (PC): My favourite TBS? Maybe. So pure.

Doom (PS4): Something has to distil the pure action urge. Sorry Nex Machina, you just miss out.

Pro Evo latest iteration (PS4): Football.

Bloodborne (PS4): Could I finish it solo? Then Chalice Dungeon forevermore.

No Man's Sky (PS4): Live a parallel life amongst the stars (and pray for VR).

Wipeout VR (PS4): I would need some forward momentum.

Book: Art of Atari. Just to help me dream.

Luxury item: VR. I'd build my fancy hammock regardless.

Deepest regret: Katamari Damacy (PS2)

Good thread... 

Fallout 3 (360)

Animal Crossing NL (3DS)

Football Manager 18 (PC) 

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch) 

Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS)

Stardew Valley (Switch) 

World Of Warcraft (PC) 

Enter The Gungeon (PC) 

I actually put quite a bit of thought into this, I tried to pick games that if stuck on a desert island I wouldn't get bored of, so games with huge replayability, although it wouldnt get into my Top 10 games of all time, something like Puyo Tetris I could happily play until I starved to death. 

Luxury item would be my PipBoy that came with the Special Edition Fallout 4 because I'd look cool as fuck sat on an island with that on. 

Online (well, LAN) - DOOM - Atari Jaguar

Super Burnout - Atari Jaguar

Power Drive Rally - Atari Jaguar

Alien vs Predator - Atari Jaguar

Wolfenstein - Atari Jaguar

Cannon Fodder - Atari Jaguar

Rayman - Atari Jaguar

Raiden - Atari Jaguar

Luxury item - Atari Jaguar beach towel.

Great thread! Really makes you think about games that are single player and have proper longevity.

1. Rocket League (XB1, online game) - almost infinitely high skill ceiling, could play it forever against real opponents
  2. Trials Evolution (360) - never ceases to be fun. Endless entertainment shaving down times by milliseconds and trying to crack those last few extreme courses
  3. Street Fighter IV (360) - mastering every fighter's combos would guarantee weeks of entertainment, even against the CPU
  4. Watch Dogs (PS4) - strange one this, but some of those side missions provide infinitely fun gameplay loops that I could replay for a long time to come, especially with the bullet time mode that was lost in the sequel and using the PS4's DVR function to watch them back.
  5. Metal Gear Solid V (PS4) - such a huge, deep game. I could attempt to S-rank each level and then get all the optional objectives. Fucking around with the AI in different ways would take a while to get old.
  6. Forza 7 (XB1) - I'd definitely want a track racing game, so I'd probably go with this as it'd work well solo. It'd be nice to get the time to play a racing game properly!
  7. Ghouls n' Ghosts (arcade) - so many old classic to chose from, but this is always my go-to when I'm on MAME. I might even be able to get past level 3 eventually.
  8. Elite Dangerous (XB1) - I've hardly played it, and only getting stranded on a desert island is likely to encourage me to get around to it. Shame I'd miss out on the live content though.

Luxury item - hmm, some kind of controller probably. An XB1 Elite pad or if that'd already included a full wheel, shifter and pedals set up for Forza.

Literature - no idea. Maybe the SFIV guide with all the frame data in it?

Online:

- World of Warcraft (on a busy server) - PC

Games:

- The Binding of Isaac - PS4 (but any platform will do). That one rogue-like that grabbed me and never let go.

- The Witness - PS4 (but any platform will do). I have yet to finish it so this might be the opportune moment.

- Daytona USA - Arcade

- Super Mario Odyssey - Switch. Never played it.

- Ridge Racers - PSP. This'll have to do due to criminal lack of a Ridge Racer Remastered.

- Dead Space - PS3. I'd come up with fantastical achievements, such as 0-hit and 0-save runs.

Luxury:

- Access to /noclip documentaries (or do future ones count as online? edit: they do :()

- a comfy couch

Literature:

- Could not think of any, so I stole @Fletch's answer: EDGE Top 100.

Obligatory joke answer: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for those moment where the dessert island offer too much excitement and I need to be bored to tears.

Yoshi's Island SNES

Dragon Quest VIII PS2

MGS V PS4

Chronicles of Riddick remastered 360

RE 4 Wii

Metroid Fusion GBA

GTA V (online)

Skyrim VR PSVR

ZZap 64 annual.

Move controllers

Probably.

Final Fantasy XII (PS4) - it's just such an awesome world with a bunch of stuff to do, and even when you're not dungeoning you can get lost in the tweaking to gambits or licence setups or equipment loadouts. Everyone needs at least one epic RPG to keep them busy whilst stranded. But not me...

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita) - but of course you knew this was coming. I'm one of the biggest evangelists of P4's brilliance - even after you've gone through the 50something hour experience there's still the bonus bosses, the other endings, the social links or stat boosts you didn't quite finish off, and it's just as suited to short bursts as it is longer sessions.

Enter the Gungeon (PS4) - when stranded for an unknown amount of time, a game with some sort of procedural-generation is an obvious choice, and Gungeon rarely gets boring.

WarioWare Inc (GBA) - why take one game when I can take several dozen? Even when you're finally done unlocking everything there's still a lot to come back to here. Rhythm Tengoku would be an honourable mention.

Animal Crossing WW (DS) - Animal Crossing is an obvious choice - those games last for years - but the DS one goes in the list because it's the only one I've really played for any length of time. Even when I couldn't get the wi-fi working there's enough to do offline.

Bloodborne - online enabled (PS4) - as a base experience the journey of the hunter could make days fly by whilst you wait for rescue - throw in chalice dungeons, optional locations, and lots of scope for goofy builds and there's a lot to keep you busy

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (multi) - again, lots to do, plenty of opportunity to mess around with equipment setups, and that ever-elusive goal of 200.6%.

Literature: a guide for FFXII so that I might be motivated into doing more of the optional stuff!

Luxury item: Tekken body pillow. Of Gon.

Games -

8 games 

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Zelda - Breath of the Wild (Switch)
GTA V (Online)  (PS4)
Ridge Racer 2 PSP 
Metroid Prime 4 (Switch)
Halo (XBOX One X remastered)
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (PS4)

Book - Probably one of those Nintendo book. 

Luxury Item - SNES mini 

Offline games:

Football Manager 2018 (PC) - The game that never ends.

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC) - Again, no run is ever the same. Well, they'd end up being the same but it'd take fucking ages.

Super Metroid (SNES) - A masterpiece. What I will always see as one of the most important games ever.

Trials Evolution (360) - The absolute best game in a monster of a series

Borderlands 2 (PC)  - All these years later and I'm still not bored of its gaming hooks.

Breath of the Wild (Switch) - Similar to above, despite it being a new game. I feel its one I'll revisit constantly.

Dark Souls Remastered (PC) - Never been into the MP and its fucking amazing.

Online game:

The Golf Club 2019 (PC) - I played the beta. Its amazing. All those courses. Incredible game.

Literature: 

Breath of the Wild guide, as even with all the free time in the world I'd still never be arsed to find all the korok seeds naturally.

Luxury:

XBox Elite Pad - Its so freaking sexy.