rllmuk

The most interesting thing about the AC+ top 8 was that player getting so far with a fisher price DBZ arcade stick.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

The most interesting thing about the AC+ top 8 was that player getting so far with a fisher price DBZ arcade stick.

Haha! In all seriousness that was my first arcade stick and i still have in boxed my loft. 

Was interesting to see he had some kind of adapter for it which makes wonder if my gaming setup needs it back in my life. 

• Upvote 1

I've been playing a fair bit of Tekken Tag Tournament 2's ghost mode since it what was one of the Games With Gold last month.

It's hit a  perfect sweet spot for me where the loading times are near instant and the AI feels like a halfway point between an arcade mode and playing against actual people with a bit of variety in enemy tactics. It's stress free (no real competition, because it's against the CPU), seamless match after match after match of junk food gaming goodness.

Is there anything current gen that's going to give me a similar experience? E.g. very little downtime between matches, varied single player experience. I was tempted to buy Tekken 7 but I heard the xbox version is a mess and suffers from long loading times.

For me Tekken 7 is no where near as satisfying as TTT2, especially so in one player. I saw everything it had in one player mode in less than 48 hours. 

I'm not too sure what I'd suggest as an alternative. In terms of good one player modes the Mortal Kombat games always deliver tons of content and variety (well as much as you can in the fighting genre). 

If you want more like the style of Tekken then Virtua Fighter 5 (any version) is likely as good as you will get (even though it's knocking on a bit now). It has the ghost type opponents with different playstyles and still plays a good game. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

For me Tekken 7 is no where near as satisfying as TTT2, especially so in one player. I saw everything it had in one player mode in less than 48 hours. 

I'm not too sure what I'd suggest as an alternative. In terms of good one player modes the Mortal Kombat games always deliver tons of content and variety (well as much as you can in the fighting genre). 

If you want more like the style of Tekken then Virtua Fighter 5 (any version) is likely as good as you will get (even though it's knocking on a bit now). It has the ghost type opponents with different playstyles and still plays a good game. 

I've got VF5 Final Showdown, so I'll install that. I was a big fan of vanilla VF5 with the single player mode where you travelled from arcade to arcade challenging opponents back in the day (that was also the first fighting game I played online, and the first game I bought a stick for!). I was never a big Mortal Kombat fan to be honest, but there's one on Game Pass I could take a look at.

Probably going to grab a cheap arcade stick to replace my old Hori EX2 too.

• Upvote 1

New Guilty Gear trailer for Axl.

The trailer confirms it will be playable at Arcrevo American on 16th of November so we should start to see full match footage by then. I wonder if the stage transitions will have greater impact than just spectacle? 

The next character trailer will be in a couple of weeks.

I ended up buying the Switch version of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R (videogames!) to play while on holiday. Venom's buttons feel real similar to his Xrd moveset on a surface level at least. He's such a cool character and I hope he makes it into the new game too.

• Upvote 4

Yes it's crazy how similar xx and xrd feel!.

I hope I can get good enough fast enough so when the user base drops to 3 players (of ludicrous high level) I can at least enjoy losing against them 

• Upvote 1

Riot showed off a little bit of their fighting game "Project L", apparently still in a very early stage of development.

It certainly looks like a Street Fighter game. I'm not at all familiar with League of Legends so I'm mostly interested seeing what they do with the game to appeal to their huge eSports audience and, more so, how other fighting games will adapt to include Quality of Life options Riot might develop.

Yeah, I know nothing about LoL really aside from how popular and well supported it is but you get the feeling this might be the game that finally forces the Japanese devs to sort out their netcode etc.

ArcSys seem to really be nailing their character designs, the brief glimpse of that new character was great and both Axl and May look far more appealing to me than they used to. Obviously it's still anime as all hell so I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is (probably the collective effect of various smaller things) but they're definitely doing something right.

• Upvote 1

The Skullgirls devs are hitting up Capcom on Twitter to let them make a new Darkstalkers.

Chances are minimal I'm sure but it's a lovely thought.

• Upvote 3

I got an invite for the One Punch Man beta, so i guess I'll see how that goes. If you applied for an invite maybe check your junk mail - the message will include links to PS4 and Xbox One keys, but on a first come first served basis. Also, beta times are below:

Beta session #1: November 1st - 10am to 12pm

Beta session #2: November 2nd - 6am to 8am

Beta session #3: November 2nd - 9pm to 11pm

Beta session #4: November 3rd - 9pm to 11pm

I've had a pretty mixed experience with Bandai Namco beta weekends - DB FighterZ was pretty easy to get into; Jump Force was a bit of a mess. We'll see.

I've played a bit. My first match had me taking out two team members and bring the third to 25% health - all with my first character - before my opponent disconnected. That said, I've also had matches where I get blown the fuck up and can't touch my opponent. The story of anime fighters :lol: I kind of struggle when games have this much free movement compared to 2D fixed-plane stuff, because people get in and get out so quickly!

The Saitama system is actually pretty decent - you knock seconds off the countdown with sweet combos and things, but there's enough floatiness to launching attacks - and enough opportunity to chase down - that it's not too hard to discover neat-looking combos with characters, unless you're playing the unorthodox weirdos. Then again, there are a lot of characters that are immediately fun to play as: Mumen Rider, Terrible Tornado, Speed o' Sound... And that's always good because I'm often expecting to have a limited selection of people I enjoy. Especially when I know nothing about the characters or story.

I don't know if it's something I could truly "get into" because of the 3D space and how fast and floaty everything is - bizarrely, I'd probably feel more comfortable getting blown up in FighterZ because at least I know more about my spacing and range! (PS. still totally open to casual scrubby FighterZ games on PSN ;)

I didn't realise the USB retrobit Sega controllers work on the PS3 - just plug and play, so I've spent all afternoon on Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown with the Saturn one and it is glorious. I just can't understand why Sega have left this series out to pasture, when pretty much every major fighting game has made an appearance these last couple of years. 

Akira's catchphrase is 十年早いんだよ!(Jūnen hayainda yo!) which roughly translated to "You're ten years too early" It's been 14 years since the last numbered sequel next year. Time flies.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

New Guilty Gear trailer for Chipp and Potemkin 

Some gameplay footage here too. I've not watched it yet; looks early enough for the HUD to be at a functional stage.

• Upvote 1

Fatal Fury Special, KOF '95/'97/2000 and Mark of the Wolves are half off on Switch at the moment (just over £3 each). They're all Hamster Arcade Archives ports, so they're good. 

As for cheap stick options for Switch, I've just bought a Mayflash F300 for £20 on eBay (£25 after shipping), so I'll let you know how it fares! I'm hoping to swap the stick for a Seimitsu LS-62 with the short throw mod (this commits it entirely to shmups - for fighters I'd recommend the LS-32 or Sanwa JLF), and I'll probably change the buttons too, but it's not going to push the total cost much over £60. The F300 might not be the best option if you want to mod the artwork, etc, but it's great as a cheap 'base' and has an almost universal PCB, covering all consoles from this gen and the previous one (with the slight pain of having to plug official controllers into it in some cases). 

I also have a Brook converter (PS3/4 to Switch), but I've only tried it briefly with a HRAP4 Kai and the console (or Darius Cozmic Collection at least) didn't seem to recognise more than two of the buttons. Possibly something to do with it having connected as player 2, but I'll have to wait a few days to experiment further... 

• Upvote 1

Did anyone bother with Sirlin’s Fantasy Strike? Was kinda put off cos the visuals/character designs are pretty bland, but I like the idea of it being cross platform. And it’s on sale on Switch at the min. 

Yeah, I have it and think it's pretty good.

It has a small but active community, and I've never found it hard to find a game. There's a very active discord too.

On Switch, it is cross play with Steam, and cross play with PS4 is coming soon.

• Upvote 1

Big fighter game offers at the moment!

Dragonball Fighter Z - https://store.steampowered.com/app/678950/DRAGON_BALL_FighterZ/ - £11.24 (other additions and discounted DLC available).

Tekken 7 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/389730/TEKKEN_7/?curator_clanid=33042543 - £10.49 (Other additions and discounted fighters and fighter passes).

Soul Calibur V - https://store.steampowered.com/app/544750/SOULCALIBUR_VI/?curator_clanid=33042543 - £14.99 (Same as above).

Injustice 2 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/627270/Injustice_2/ - £12.99 (Legendary Edition is worth that extra £1, for  all ten extra characters and more IMO).

Mortal Kombat 11 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/976310/Mortal_Kombat11/ - £24.99 (£34.99 for the fighter pack amongst other things).

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - https://store.steampowered.com/app/520440/GUILTY_GEAR_Xrd_REVELATOR/ - £7.49 (deluxe edition).

Many, many more over at steam including SFxT, KOF13 & more. 

• Upvote 2

Razer have the MvC Infinite version of their Panthera stick on sale for £105.99 which is a decent price. No idea if PS4 sticks are gonna be compatible with PS5 but maybe Razer do.

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-controllers/razer-mvci-panthera

I've heard that they don't replace or even sell the detachable USB cables the stick uses though. Its sliiightly different from the one Mad Catz used on their TE2+ apparently.

That's good shit, I paid double that for my SFV one when it came out :facepalm:

Couple of things to note: the plexi can just crack around the hinges for no real reason, mine did and that's pretty annoying on a premium stick. No idea how common that is though. If you buy one, have a conveniently faulty cable and they'll send you another rather than have you return the stick so you'll at least have a spare in future. Performance-wise, it's brilliant and has almost zero lag once you update the firmware.

All that said, I've been tempted by the Hori Fighting Edge now that it's out in the UK for a decent price (around £140 on Amazon) even though I don't really need it. That cracked hinge really does bug me more than it should! If it was guaranteed to work with the PS5 I'd definitely go for it and, to be honest, I'd be really surprised if they weren't supported at a hardware level since there's software back compatibility and the new Dualshock sounds so similar to the old one aside from haptic feedback.

With this generation coming to an end, the question is; will it be backwards compatible with the new machine...?

21 minutes ago, Goemon said:

With this generation coming to an end, the question is; will it be backwards compatible with the new machine...?

Microsoft have confirmed Xbox One controllers will be compatible with Scarlett; hopefully that extends to third party and wired controllers. I don't think Sony have made any statement on that.

I picked up DBFighterz given it was cheap...

I need to apologise to that game for sleeping on it until now. It's bloody fantastic and so much love has been put into that game. 

Fighting games!

• Upvote 2