Yeah, I bought it on Steam a while back and had to refund it because there was literally one other player playing it according to Steamcharts. It was also laggy as fuck and had weird slowdown and frameskipping. I assume the PS4 version is better? I think they're both DotEmu who don't have a great track record.

I feel like there could be a little bit of uptake for some SNK fighters collections online if they were done well but instead they go for sloppy ports of individual games with optimistic RRPs which seems a shame.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I'm a big fan of the two Injustice games. I'm a bit of a no-thumbed gibbon when it comes to fighting games, I can't FADC, I don't really know what frame data is, but I have a lot of fun with these. They're really easy to play and play well. Enjoyable story modes, loads of single player content. Just good games.

Same with Mortal Kombat, really. Have been having lots of fun with the last couple.

My finger was hovering over the buy button for “The Last Blade 2” on Switch. It looks really interesting. 

I must say it’s a bit bewildering with the choice, same problem with old Neo Geo Schmups - I look through them all for ages then end up buying something else so this thread is most welcome for insight and opinion.

Also a shout out for ARMS - fascinating game and had  (has) amazing support from Nintendo

I just bought under night in-birth exe late in the steam sale for €6.99. I think it's a slightly older version of the ps4 game. Seems quite cool! It feels less overwhelming than games like Blazblue, so that's good for my aging brain. 

40 minutes ago, Junker said:

Also a shout out for ARMS - fascinating game and had  (has) amazing support from Nintendo

Why has it taken this long for someone to mention ARMS. :( I feel ashamed. Easily the most 'raw' fighting game out there. Forget flashy combos, this is all about footsies, spacing, timing, mind-games, and counter-picks. I guess it's a real 'meta' heavy game for people who are usually disjointed by the overly technical combo execution found elsewhere.

To be honest once you hit the rank 15 region it begins to push 60FPS to the limits, like F-Zero GX. I'd love it if the next Nintendo console was able to push higher than 60FPS. My new monitor and GPU combo is spoiling me. :(

5 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Smash.

... Don't look at me like that, pleb. All games mentioned so far are, essentially, Street Fighter. Only 3D fighters like SoulCalibur, Tekken, Virtua Fighter en DOA manage to truly break away from the mold, but even then they still share mostly the same concepts. Smash is the only fighting game that shares the same fundamentals and mechanical depth as Street Fighter (footsies, zoning, pressure, etc.) without copying everything that made Street Fighter Street Fighter.

You should look at Rivals of Aether, it's like it took competitive Melee and built from there. There's a lot of variety in the small roster, definitely worth a look! 

Jokes aside, both Power Stone games on the Dreamcast were great. Most non-street fighter fighting game I've played remains DOA4 however. I miss those lobbies sometimes, so far ahead the curve for it's time (online-wise).

Can't find a longer clip showing it off better. But you could buy items for your chibi lobby character and all.

DOA5 took it all away.

16 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Everyone buy Garou : Mark of the Wolves for £3.99 on PSN right now. You also get the Vita version and a nice PS4 theme included in the price too!

If you've never played it or don't rate SNK fighters for some reason (u wot m8 etc) then you should still give it a chance as it's the most Capcom like fighting game they have produced (parry type system in just defend, nearly all supers are qcf x2, no line sway or dial a combos)

Also the roster is small but puts most fighting games to shame and the stages and music are top tier.

There's very few people online though but i'm sure a few mukkers could get together some time.

giphy.gif

Rocky inspired stage always makes me smile, that train lighting effect is pure amaze.

garou-markofthewolves-background-rockhow

£3.99 ends tonight, back to £11.99 tomorrow !

Just bought this on your recommendation.

Still £3.99 if anyone else is interested.

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I wasn't mad on Injustice 1, but 2 is a great fighter. The presentation is wonderful and the Turtles are incredibly fun to use. MKX is great too, I was gutted MK11 was a no show at E3. 

I really enjoyed Injustice 1 at the time (I picked it up stupidly cheap at some point without knowing a lot about it), but went back to it recently and it wasn't as good as I remember. I suspect, however, that it's been spoiled by the sequel, which is really a very, very good game. I even like the loot / level system. 

The big frustration with I2 is the Multiverse events are clearly designed to try to get you to use a range of characters, rather than sticking with a main all the time. However, they also seem to assume that you've already levelled all your characters fairly high. You need them to be around level 20 before you start any of the events with decent rewards. This is somewhat mitigated by being able to use the AI system to effectively auto level characters, but this still needs babysitting and sort of defeats the purpose of getting you to use different characters.

I've started playing MKX again in the last week or so. Still a great game but, after playing a lot of Injustice, I'm finding there's not a lot of motivation to keep playing. Where Injustice has constant rewards for completing Multiverse events, MK doesn't really give you a lot for completing Living Towers. You get Koins but nothing else. In Injustice I'm constantly chasing better gear, shaders and higher levels, MK doesn't have that loot to chase.

13 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Massive fan of The Last Blade which definitely offers something different, albeit most characters have very similar shot-style movesets. 

If anyone has Twitch Prime (Amazon Prime linked to their Twitch account) if you hurry you can claim a FREE snk games back which has Last Blade in it!

20 hours ago, Sane said:

I just bought under night in-birth exe late in the steam sale for €6.99. I think it's a slightly older version of the ps4 game. Seems quite cool! It feels less overwhelming than games like Blazblue, so that's good for my aging brain. 

I got it on the steam sale. I have it downloading now.

Consider adding me to steam so I can lose agaisnt  you.

edit: although I cant see any sort of tutorial! I am too old to learn a fighting game from scratch with just the practice mode!!!

The guilty gear xrd revelator tutorial has spoilt me!!!

18 hours ago, NEG said:

Jokes aside, both Power Stone games on the Dreamcast were great. Most non-street fighter fighting game I've played remains DOA4 however. I miss those lobbies sometimes, so far ahead the curve for it's time (online-wise).

Can't find a longer clip showing it off better. But you could buy items for your chibi lobby character and all.

DOA5 took it all away.

What this man said. Why Capcom have a) chosen to never do a third and b) have only rereleased it on the psp a platform so unsuitable to it vexes me so. 

I find this thread very interesting. Fighting games are obviously held close to gamers hearts when compared to most other genres.  It’s probably fair to say they are no longer the mainstream genre these days but in their time new versions were released almost annually akin to sports games. Yet, I never hear anyone reminiscing how Fifa 07 was in their opinion the best version or pro evo etc.  Usually the previous versions are largely dropped when new ones come out. This is probably the same for MP FPS games too to some extent (particularily on consoles). 

What is it about fighting games that has always managed to debunk this effect? It is great to read from posters on here how much an older game can hold its own against newer titles with the benefit of decades of technological advancement. 

Actually people actively talk about how Pro Evo was godlike in the PS2 era with 4-6 all being very well regarded.

Also helps that fighters are very closed games by nature, by design they can give players an extreme amount of control freedom over very specific things because of how limited the area of play is. The play either takes place in a box (2D) or an axis (3D). These basic things mean we are able to take radically different approaches on the same basic premise.

Can't believe everyone's ignoring Fighting EX Layer... :(

I downloaded it last week on release day, fully expecting the usual SF mandem - @joffocakes @Down by Law @Plopboy , etc - to be playing alongside and... nowt. Zilch. Nothing.

It plays a solid game of 2000s-era DC fighter. If you enjoyed, MvC2, Tech Romancer, Project Justice, Plasma Sword, etc. then it'll fit like a glove. Not much single player content but a lot of fun games ranked online.

9 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Can't believe everyone's ignoring Fighting EX Layer... :(

I downloaded it last week on release day, fully expecting the usual SF mandem - @joffocakes @Down by Law @Plopboy , etc - to be playing alongside and... nowt. Zilch. Nothing.

It plays a solid game of 2000s-era DC fighter. If you enjoyed, MvC2, Tech Romancer, Project Justice, Plasma Sword, etc. then it'll fit like a glove. Not much single player content but a lot of fun games ranked online.

I've not bought it yet; I've not played any of the earlier games in the series either (or Street Fighter EX) so I'm interested in trying it.

I did buy Pocket Fighter (EDIT: Pocket Rumble!) though. I love its NGPC style and the character playstyles are more varied than I expected; unique uses of their meter and very different movement styles. Netcode seems decent enough from the few games I played.

Gonna be difficult to rewire my brain for those direction+hold button special moves. Reminds me of the (very impressive) GBA port of Street Fighter Alpha 3.