Yeah it’s very similar to Baroque cancels from Tatsunoko vs Capcom too. 

Had a frustrating couple of hours trying to play the beta. When it’s not working you get to play against the CPU with both yours and the CPU’s characters on random select. No training mode either. Not ideal. 

Then the lobbies didn’t work at all and we kept getting kicked. My friend managed to play against some randoms and said it ran smoothly. Also like that it has Granblue lobbies instead of Strive lobbies. 

Overall game feel is nice. Leans towards Granblue more than Guilty Gear. No air blocking so even closer to anime Streetfighter than Granblue.

AA

AABB

AAB Crouching B seem to be universal combo routes. Striker also has the Under Night type strings where she can go A B then back to A again.

Characters don’t seem to have a classic crouching heavy or 6P anti air, feels quite strange and very different from other games of this type. 

The forward + guard dodge feels a lot faster than Granblue. 

Other than that barely scratched the surface. Day 1 beta issues, hopefully it’s better tomorrow.

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Yeah it’s very similar to Baroque cancels from Tatsunoko vs Capcom too. 

Had a frustrating couple of hours trying to play the beta. When it’s not working you get to play against the CPU with both yours and the CPU’s characters on random select. No training mode either. Not ideal. 

Then the lobbies didn’t work at all and we kept getting kicked. My friend managed to play against some randoms and said it ran smoothly. Also like that it has Granblue lobbies instead of Strive lobbies. 

Overall game feel is nice. Leans towards Granblue more than Guilty Gear. No air blocking so even closer to anime Streetfighter than Granblue.

AA

AABB

AAB Crouching B seem to be universal combo routes. Striker also has the Under Night type strings where she can go A B then back to A again.

Characters don’t seem to have a classic crouching heavy or 6P anti air, feels quite strange and very different from other games of this type. 

The forward + guard dodge feels a lot faster than Granblue. 

Other than that barely scratched the surface. Day 1 beta issues, hopefully it’s better tomorrow.

I tried to have a go this morning. First (first world) problem was that my PS4 razer panthera isn’t supported in the PS5 version of the beta, so had to redownload the PS4 version.

Managed to get one game with someone from Asia before the server went down, will try again later!

The game looks lovely in motion - the backgrounds could definitely have been ripped straight from granblue!

The beta is back online, played a good few matches. Faves so far are Hitman and Striker, but I'm yet to try Vanguard or Kunoichi who both seem cool as well. Still figuring out consistent combo routes with Hitman, who I've spent the most time with.

Yeah, spent a bit more time with it - netcode felt very solid. Also, Inquisitor is probably my favourite now, as I originally expected!

Still need to try out Kunoichi and Vanguard, but I went for my booster jab this morning and now I am fully spaced out.

OK, after another hour I've tried out every character except gunslinger and grappler and really like loads of them!

Dragon Knight has edged to the top of the list for potential main chicken. Really nice balance of fast normals, set-play and some weird movement nonsense with her flight mode. Kunoichi also seems brilliant. Although her teleport stuff seems very gimmicky and fairly easy to block, I really like her mobility and pressure. Also Berserker is ridiculous right now - very much seems like easy mode considering the speed of his huge buttons.

I still think I might end up maining Inquisitor, but she's a bit tricky to learn the game with, I think - will probably go back to her once I'm more familiar with the systems.

5 minutes ago, imp said:

Are you Pablette? I'm not singed into PSN on my phone so can't message back!

I'll be Benny. I'm doing room search but it seems to give me random results?

Edit: game just crashed as well while searching which was odd. Maybe the beta isn't going to allow you to pick your lobby with specific players at the mo?

37 minutes ago, imp said:

GGs @Benny - Gotta dash to make food!

Good lord, that Gunslinger though!

When you were playing him I was finding him more annoying to fight than Axl from GG Strive, which takes some doing. Guns should definitely be banned. He wasn't quite up there with Cable from MvsC2 at least.

I think my favourites to play were Gunslinger (yep, love the cheapness), Inquisitor, Hitman and Striker, who felt great when I got some combos off.

Edit: I keep saying Gunslinger but I think it's Ranger

Been playing the Ranger/Gunslinger in rooms with randoms. He's genuinely a total wanker. Just stupidly obnoxious, especially against the Vanguard and certain other characters.

I've not lost a game with him yet basically, but with the rest of the cast it's been a lot more varied. I think Inquisitor is the other one I do best with, but without feeling like a horrible person doing it :lol:

I am enjoying this a lot.  Not played a fighting game in a very long time, and the ease of execution (along with the Max videos) got me to try it.  It is a lot of fun.

Without training mode it is a bit of a case of mashing stuff out and seeing what happens.  Being able to just string A B Skill Magic from the off means even an idiot like me can do some sort of combo.

All the characters seem to have some sort of grade A bullshit.  This does not feel like a civilised fighting game.  I did like being a Crusader against Jam..I mean Striker.  Put the wall down, hit her with the hammer and she went flying upwards.  Repeated, and it looked like some beam of light from where hammer hit wall kept knocking her up.  She stayed airborne till the wall went.  Incredible.

I’m quite liking Vanguard.  BIG BUTTONS.  Almost everything hits for half screen at least, and you can just plain combo skill + direction into each other.

I am interested in just why Ranger is so good against him.  Do the gunshots just shut down all his attacks?

Basically yeah it seems so. Every time someone I played against used Vanguard when I used Ranger I could just lock them down in the corner. There is a dash/dodge function in the game though that I think people haven't worked out how to use yet, as that can close the gap.

The trouble is the Ranger just has an incredibly oppressive kit. So far the other character apart from Inquisitor that felt as oppressive was surprisingly enough the beefy Crusader. Was playing someone earlier who just completely locked me down with him, and looks like he found the infinite corner combo that you mentioned, by popping his bubble then doing a big hammer strike that basically launches you and keeps you up forever (10+ hits). He was the only one who beat my Ranger once. Then normal service resumed when I learned his one weird trick.

Ranger has the kind of bullshit I'm definitely here for:

He has an M. Bison style sliding low, that if it doesn't connect you can cancel into a step back and a mid range low shot, giving you back the distance. If it connects, you can follow up with a launching kick conbo that sends them to the other side of the screen, and chucks a timed grenade out to set them up for more of your poke shots from the other corner.

Also an almost instant reversal special that sends them back if you're stuck in the corner, Dante from Devil May Cry style spinning guns that keep you afloat, which you can use to get to safety to get your health back, or cancel into as you're using the bullshit leap over their heads as they try to close the distance. :lol:

Also had a very easy route to connect his Super: spam the neutral special three hit combo and if any of them hit they're vulnerable to the super to finish it off as the connect range is similar.

I really like playing him but I bet people hate him already.

Having played it a bit more, despite the "simplified" inputs, it has a good number of interesting mechanics. The first is of course that specials use the MP meter, like EX moves, but what you can do is if you have white health, you can press B+Skill to convert the white health to MP, instead of waiting for it to recover. This *also* acts as a universal cancel. You can use it to cancel any move, like a Guilty Gear Roman Cancel but universal I think. So as long as you have white health you have a cancel and a source of MP whenever you want in exchange. It's a really cool risk reward system.