I saw quite a few fighting game community people on Twitter complaining that this doesn't have a training mode for them to test out characters etc before getting unleashed on it. I mean, it's a free open Beta, guys, get over yourselves and your entitlement. It's probably also not part of the game they want to test.

I think they're just afraid that experimenting might mean losing a few rounds to randoms to start with.

I think it’s an understandable but very annoying decision to not have a training mode. Sure you want people to play online so you can test the netcode, but I think some people will play less overall as they find it frustrating to be launched into combat without finding their feet first and just give up. 

I’m sure they’ve got the numbers to have mathed it out from the GGST betas (the first couple didn’t have a training mode, but the last one did), so I’m sure it’s a toss up between player satisfaction, the purpose of the beta and the amount of effort involved to get a training mode up and running that is a decent experience for the players. 

There is no word of a release date yet either.  I don’t think it will be Feb with KoF, but maybe it is much further down the line and this was a pure network test.  Balance aside it feels pretty complete game wise, so I dunno.

Being brand new I do love the simple things.  Like discovering Kunochi has a double jump, then completely messing with people expecting to punish a jump in.  Well, maybe they’ll learn after the eighth time, here I go…

Have played a fair bit of this now and it's a lot of fun. Character balance is a bit all over the place at the moment though, especially compared to GG Strive. I think the Ranger is way above the rest, and Crusader is actually broken. The only games I ever lost with them were mirror matches. Like a lot of fighting games you just need to work out what the most obnoxious things each character can do is and spam/exploit the shit out of it. In the case of Ranger that's basically his entire move set.

I don’t think many fighting games boil down to spamming your most obnoxious tools if you’re playing against competent players. Against randoms online who don’t know to play though, yes, and in DNF Duel that’s all of us because the game is six months away from release and we’ve had access to it for two days. 

Really obvious stuff like infinites it’s safe to say are unintentional and “broken”, but almost anything else I think it’s extremely early to say. 

In this game currently, nobody is able to use training mode to find answers to anything and we don’t fully understand the questions. We don’t know match ups, we haven’t see the full roster, so it seems very very premature to be discussing balance or tier placings. Grappler has an infinite combo in this build, he won’t have it in the full game. Saying what buffs or nerfs he needs seems moot when the game is still at this level of janky. 

We’re flailing about in the dark and testing the netcode.

This isn’t aimed at you in particular, I just think “broken” is so wildly overused when discussing fighting games, and especially when discussing fighting games that aren’t even real games yet.

I saw a comment today “I can’t believe this infinite made it into the game in 2021”. 

It didn’t make it into the game! The game isn’t out until summer 2022! Arrrgh! 

It worries me because fighting games can be written off so early in their lifespan. Niche games inside a niche genre can die so easily in the court of social media opinion and I’m always sad when it happens.

Aside from that, you also have the issue of developers caving to the loudest complainers and making crazy sweeping balance changes before anyone’s had a chance to try and figure things out. 

People  jumping to conclusions about the game at such an early stage always makes me want to plead the case for letting them breathe first. 

30 minutes ago, JLM said:

I don’t think many fighting games boil down to spamming your most obnoxious tools if you’re playing against competent players. Against randoms online who don’t know to play though, yes, and in DNF Duel that’s all of us because the game is six months away from release and we’ve had access to it for two days. 

Really obvious stuff like infinites it’s safe to say are unintentional and “broken”, but almost anything else I think it’s extremely early to say. 

In this game currently, nobody is able to use training mode to find answers to anything and we don’t fully understand the questions. We don’t know match ups, we haven’t see the full roster, so it seems very very premature to be discussing balance or tier placings. Grappler has an infinite combo in this build, he won’t have it in the full game. Saying what buffs or nerfs he needs seems moot when the game is still at this level of janky. 

We’re flailing about in the dark and testing the netcode.

This isn’t aimed at you in particular, I just think “broken” is so wildly overused when discussing fighting games, and especially when discussing fighting games that aren’t even real games yet. 

Yes I should be clear: I only meant against online randoms. Once you're playing "properly" any decent fighting game players will have gotten that shit locked down. And of course I wouldn't use "broken" entirely seriously as it's a beta.

I think in general from what I played this one has a lot of potential, and it's great to play a fighting game where I've enjoyed playing so many of the characters. I actually don't even mind the more simplified inputs if it draws more people in.

It does make for some quite different tactics in some cases, especially when reversals are just one button while crouch blocking from any angle. This is offset by them needing meter, and there's also the alpha counters which I was trying to get the hang of.

I've been thinking about the beta quite a bit since it finished as I got that new game smell in me and I'm already getting withdrawal. I think it's almost certainly a summer purchase. It's good to be interested in fighting games again, broken crap hands permitting. Everything about the characters' moves just *feels* great to pull off and impactful, even moreso than Strive somehow.

Plus rollback is the future.

Apparently Famitsu are reporting that P4A Ultimax won't have rollback on launch but may be considered in a future patch. Probably not a huge dealbreaker as I might end up spending more time with the solo content, but others might want to reconsider a day one purchase.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What's the fightstick situation on PS5? Now that I have a number of fighting games, with more on the horizon, I was looking at picking one up. Need one that obviously works with PS4 and PS5. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently bought Guilty Gear Strive and by gum, is it a stunning looking game, but it’s a bit dense for a newcomer! I also didn’t realise “story mode” was literally just a feature length anime you watch but don’t play! 

It's probably for those weirdos out there who are only interested in the games for the "story", so that they can watch it on YouTube.

Yeah maybe. I know fighting games aren’t exactly known for their great stories but with this being my first GG game I have no idea who anyone is, who is good and who is bad. All I know is I like the big robot guy, the weird doctor guy and the guitar witch. 

Jimmy??? I’m pretty sure he’s Guile’s friend Charlie who was turned into a green bloke by mad scientist Dhalsim.