Bought it last night on a whim. Very nice game at a nicer price. Rock hard though for me!

The visual style is very charming but still manages to feel very responsive. However, My hand cramps a little bit when playing handheld with joycon a attached - ingetbthis with Hatou too though. 

I love how charming Pocket Rumble looks.  This video is very handy to learn the basics of the game.

The tutorial is a bit too minimalistic imo.

By the way skullgirls port confirmed for Switch!!!

15 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Can't believe everyone's ignoring Fighting EX Layer... :(

I downloaded it last week on release day, fully expecting the usual SF mandem - @joffocakes @Down by Law @Plopboy , etc - to be playing alongside and... nowt. Zilch. Nothing.

It came out at a bad time for me since I have a bunch of other things going on. I still admire the roster and the potential madness of the GOUGI system though.

9 hours ago, daifuco said:

I love how charming Pocket Rumble looks.  This video is very handy to learn the basics of the game.

The tutorial is a bit too minimalistic imo.

By the way skullgirls port confirmed for Switch!!!

That video is pretty superb. Covers some basics nicely and touches some of the game's inspirations and variety. Plus they're enthusiastic and not too elitist which is always a good.

Had a few wins online now that I've got some basics down. It's very satisfying when you make the correct decision. I still jump around like an idiot though.

I love fighting games but I'm terrible at them, which is why my favourite of all time is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, which bothered to include an absolutely brilliant single player mode (Quest Mode) that actually taught you how to play as you went along. I thought at the time it would set a new standard that all subsequent fighters would emulate but none of them (to my knowledge) have ever done so. Quest Mode didn't even make it into VF5. So if there's a good modern fighter on PS4 or Switch that has something similar I'd love to know.

I agree with you. This week I have been trying to learn blazblue central fiction and it has so many meters and mechanics that the tutorial feels completely overwhelming for a new player.

I'm considering to use a mind map software  just to cover the mechanics. Leaving combos alone.

22 hours ago, joffocakes said:

That video is pretty superb. Covers some basics nicely and touches some of the game's inspirations and variety. Plus they're enthusiastic and not too elitist which is always a good.

Had a few wins online now that I've got some basics down. It's very satisfying when you make the correct decision. I still jump around like an idiot though.

I think you have to jump around like an idiot. Meaties are a bit strong in this game, and it seems to be a legitimate part of your oki.

The ranked matches don’t seem to have any sort of even matching though, my first match was against the number 2 ranked person in the world, and I just got destroyed and I’ve often come across single digit ranked people.

It it is good though, and apart from the sword guy, I feel I can at least hold my own and run some sort of game plan. 

On the subject of liking fighters but not being great against human opposition, I really like ideas such as Tekken Dojo in the PSP games (I think), where you essentially train an AI to act as ghost data to be downloaded by other players. It was a cool way of finding strong “opponents” without all of the salt and rage that goes with it, and it was something you could keep plugging away at. At least in theory. I liked the idea but remember it being a bit simple in practice - even so, ghost data would have been a fun addition in something like Street Fighter; SFV even has that little charts showing an opponent’s playstyle, so it’s partway there :P 

Fianlly played some Garou online last night - first guy had a ping of 30-40ms and it was great, played around 7 games with him (it's great there is no match limit so you can just keep going till one of you has enough) then played a chap with a ping of 100ms and it was ...alright to be honest, I dropped some combos and breaking moves were not happening but I must have played about 15 matches with him and it was about even.

Being able to decline a bad ping and being able to keep fighting as long as you want too are great though...

If anyone wants to go a few rounds my psn is DownByLaw85. I use Jae Hoon, Dong Hwan, Butt, Terry, & Rock so plenty of diversity!

Still really enjoying Pocket Rumble. Even more than I anticipated. I was worried it might be over-simplified but it strikes a balance between accessibility and depth better than many other fighting games which have promised the same.

Plus the Twin Peaks-y boy has a diner stage and (admittedly easy) parries!

23 hours ago, Pixelbark said:

... Garou has online? 

Sorry, this seems to have passed me by completely. Which platform does it have online play on? Rollback or the bad kid of netcode?

PS4 does. Netcode has always seemed fine to me but I've mostly played the same mate who doesn't live that far away so I'm perhaps not the best judge.

I've not tried it yet but FOOTSIES is a little free game in PC and it seems very cool. It's all about spacing yourself, sticking out normal attacks and cancelling them into specials if they hit. You win the round as soon as one connects but specials are unsafe so if you accidentally cancel a blocked move into a special you've basically lost. Sounds like a fun distillation of the genre.

You can get it here:

https://hifight.github.io/footsies/

God. Guilty Gear Xrd is such a different game to SFV.  After a few days I still struggle to understand what's going on. Everything feels more subtle and flexible than Street Fighter. So I find it harder to learn.

Of course the user base is just a tiny fraction so you normally end up playing against sharks.

On 03/07/2018 at 14:10, Pixelbark said:

In the meantime - PLAY UNIST

I did this. The game itself seems very good, at first glance I got the impression of a mash-up between the Alpha series, ArcSys stuff and SNK's weapon fighters.. But with normals that can go pretty much full screen. Would that be fair to say? It's very grounded for an anime styled game.

I expected the online to be pretty dead, but not to the extent that it appears to be. Generally there are like three people in lobbies at any one time and 90% of them are 0 and 1 connection quality. I'm too old and lazy to try and learn a game where you've got to hit up Discord to get matches so it'll probably be going on eBay unfortunately. Having a little mess with it should give me a little bit of an appreciation for watching it at Evo though I guess.

I have Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 on both PS4 and steam. On PC there are normally from two to five EU rooms. 

On PS4 it is all quiet. 

So I expect people to play UNIST on PC when it arrives on Steam next month!

I think these days the PS4 is pretty much a SF/Tekken machine.

Yeah PC seems to be the more popular option for fighters in Europe for some reason. Sadly the Guilty Gear online is fucked for me on PC so I had to refund it but I might give UNIST a go when it comes out to see if it fares any better.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention but the UNIST tutorial and trials look absolutely brilliant at a glance and seem to go into various situations in quite a lot of depth. I wish more games would make as much of an effort that way.

Blade Strangers!

The cross-over fighting game that probably nobody was asking for, but I'm really looking forward to this after watching the WNF above. It's a crossover fighter featuring characters from:

Code of Princess

Cave Story

Shovel Knight

Binding of Isaac

Also, some girl riding a cat!

It seems to be pretty slow and accessible (specials are all direction+button) and despite the aesthetic there's no air block, so jumping is a commitment and combos are short. I was considering the SNK Heroines game as a switch fighter before the character reveal videos started getting released revealing the game to be high on the fanservice, but this looks wicked and I'm really looking forward to being utterly dreadful at it.

There's some good matches towards the end of that video - the start is a lot of people fumbling around not knowing how to play.

The Twin Galaxies Fight Club event on the Saturday has a phenomenal line up. Super excited for Choi vs. Valle on ST and Alpha 3. Also plenty of excellent MVC2 and 3 action all hosted by Yipes and Chris Matrix. 

Some tasty SFV exhibitions and Go1 vs Sonicfox in Dragonball again as well. 

AnimEvo will be stellar again  I’m sure. Wonder if Puyo Puyo Tetris can steal the show again.