rllmuk
JohnC

Hobbs and Shaw (Fast & Furious spin-off)

I’ve never seen any of these films but am on holiday with my niece who wants to see this at the cinema..... does it matter that I’ve not seen any previous F&F movies?

Does not matter in the slightest, especially with this being a spin off from the main movies.  All you need to know is the 2 leads have appeared together in the last couple of F&F films, other than that it is totally stand alone.

• Upvote 1

On 01/08/2019 at 23:13, Ork1927 said:

Hide contents

Reigns does a spear and someone else does a Samoan Drop and The Rock fucks up Elba with a German Suplex.

Spoiler

It was Reigns doing both moves.

Is there a F&F mega thread with rankings? Like many I found the original to be a bad remake of point break, with none of the irony, charisma or directing genius. But over Christmas I drunkily watched a few and really enjoyed them. Especially the one with all the flying cars. I had no idea what was going on, but I got that family was key. Family. 

Overall I enjoyed this, big dumb fun, but the constant alpha male bickering really got annoying.  They just needed to ease back on it a bit, some scenes it worked really well, some scenes with it were funny, but there was just far too much.  For me Vanessa Kirby was the badass cause she just got on with things without having to state she was the badest motherfucker in the room every other sentence.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Is there a F&F mega thread with rankings? Like many I found the original to be a bad remake of point break, with none of the irony, charisma or directing genius. But over Christmas I drunkily watched a few and really enjoyed them. Especially the one with all the flying cars. I had no idea what was going on, but I got that family was key. Family. 

I love the first one! Of course it’s just a pale imitation of Point Break with cars, but so what? It’s still thrilling throughout, which is all a film like that needs to be.

Here's my suggested F&F viewing order. Watch 1, google the events of 2, 3 & 4. Then watch 5 (the best in the franchise.) Google 6 & 7, watch 8. If you're still into it at that point, watch Hobbs and Shaw and then all the rest, maybe.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Tfatf: 10/10

2f2f: 8/10

tfatf: td: 5/10

faf: 8/10

f5: 11/10

f6: 9/10

f7: Statham/10

f8: 10/10

so in my view fast7 is by far and away the best by dint of having the Stath in. 

Followed by fast5 which is actually the best of the films from a plot viewpoint. The it’s a coin flip between the first (iconic) and the eighth (stupid fun)

tokyo drift is utter shite though but still worth 5/10. Han was shoehorned into 5, the retcon of the Stath is unfeasible and the VD cameo at the end is possibly the most unintentionally homosexual scene in cinema. 

I am a bit of a fan of the films however. 

• Upvote 1

This series used to be about cars. Now it's about...

Breakfast, Rock's workout videos, family, more breakfast, bro-handshakes, bro-banter, baldness, spies, motorbikes, stunts, bigger stunts, how-does-Rock-have-any-skin-left-on-his-hands stunts, oh-my-god-everyone-must-be-dead stunts, faaaaaaaaamily, punching, melee weapons, transforming motorbikes, bus, sloooooooooooooooooo-mo, posturing, knob-jokes, exposition, HALO jumps, heists, torture, schmenocide, Mission: Possible, all the family, The A-Team, hakas, wrestling, explosions, helicopter, heavy rain, Roman Reigns, sunsets and cars.

I'm okay with this.

I was reasonably interested in this, then I saw Elba was in it. Fuck that shit, I am fed up to death with him appearing in everything 

Please tell me he’s not in the new Star Wars.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, sandman said:

Please tell me he’s not in the new Star Wars.

They’ve recast Rey with him.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was okay. I enjoyed the last bit of the island more than anything though as it seemed more like F&F. 

These are more like super hero movies nowadays though.

Quick question...

Spoiler

After fighting all those bad guys in the room with the retina scan, why didn't Statham just walk back out of the door and through The Rock's door instead of doing about twenty failed retina scans with the bad guys?

On 12/08/2019 at 12:58, Darhkwing said:

These are more like super hero movies nowadays though.

It's been that way ever since they decided to go full on unrealistic with Fast Five, that safe :lol:

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

It's been that way ever since they decided to go full on unrealistic with Fast Five, that safe :lol:

As unrealistic as that scene with the safe might appear, it's amazing how much of it is practical FX.

• Upvote 1