The Staircase (contains verdict spoilers)

I just finished this and wasnt as gripped by it like some of you were. I felt they dragged it out too much and I also think it suffered from only having the Petersons side of things. It felt like it was editted to make you be on his side and I imagine theres a lot of stuff that probably got left on the editing room floor. 

I can't decide if he did or didn't do it as theres evidence leaning to both sides. I dont see how a fall down the stairs from only a few steps up creates 7 lacerations and so much blood. But then there's the lack of blood patterns on the walls that should be visible from a beating.

I'm definitely going to watch and listen to those things people have suggested to get another perspective on it.

Is that song at the end him trolling us all though?

"Everybody knows that the good guys lost"

I've just watched the Forensic Files episode and it has me convinced he killed her. Regardless of the ramped up drama of the show, theres so much in the show missing from the documentary. Even with Deavers fuck ups I think he did it and he's lucky that Deavers other cases came to light and allowed them to use that to free him.

I think he did it, started to try and clean it up, realised it was impossible and went with the accident story. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

What things are missing? I'll have to give it a watch

an awful lot of motive detail and forensics - which even allowing for the discredited blood spatter and eyebrows DA lady still seem worthy of mention in a programme with such a generous runtime.

much like Making a Murderer its looking a bit one sided to me - good doc and good story, just wish they'd been more balanced in their presentation, would still be gripping stuff.

I read that the DA removed permission to film them early on during proceedings (you see them not featured from the inside only an ep or 2 in) and wonder if the film makers just sided with the defence. 

Forensic files is totally bonkers though, I love it. I wouldn't necessarily believe it more than anything else, they've covered a few things I've seen elsewhere and similar to the history channel, pay attention to who the talking heads are that they use on their shows, some are pretty bloody random.

It's unintentionally hilarious, id recommend it to anyone that likes crime stuff just because it's almost a brass eye version of a crime show.

On 18/07/2018 at 16:30, b00dles said:

Forensic files is totally bonkers though, I love it. I wouldn't necessarily believe it more than anything else, they've covered a few things I've seen elsewhere and similar to the history channel, pay attention to who the talking heads are that they use on their shows, some are pretty bloody random.

It's unintentionally hilarious, id recommend it to anyone that likes crime stuff just because it's almost a brass eye version of a crime show.

Oh no doubt but there stuff like that the doc misses out that FF episodes brings up. They wouldnt be allowed to bring that stuff up if it wasnt true surely. 

12 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Oh no doubt but there stuff like that the doc misses out that FF episodes brings up. They wouldnt be allowed to bring that sruff up if it wasnt true surely. 

No I suppose not and I can't really remember the episode that well but it's a very odd show in general and they always have little undercurrents of homophobia and not liking anything remotely out of their "norm" it's a good way of seeing that trump getting voted in wasn't as surprising as previously thought :P

One thing I didn't understand from the case was why the blood continued to be on the staircase well into the trial. Why was it not cleaned up? Was that actually the house Peterson was staying in during the trial? That seemed so weird but maybe I missed something.

I felt he probably did it. I keep coming back to the amount of blood in the stairwell and the lacerations and I just can't reconcile that with a fall. Seems so implausible. I'd even say the owl theory is more plausible than a fall theory.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/07/2018 at 19:58, Mystacon said:

Worth also giving the BBC podcast ‘Beyond Reasonable Doubt’ a listen, which very much feels as if they’re on the ‘he did it’ side of the fence. Peterson was not happy with the way he was portrayed on it, but ends up giving the guy an interview.

I've almost finished this BBC podcast and think its pretty poor - if I hadn't been gripped by the French documentary I probably wouldn't have stuck with the podcast - its so one sided despite telling you every 5 mins it isn't.

Its repetitive, never challenges any of the experts who've never met a Petersen but claim to know them intimately and seems to give Michael and his lawyer a much harder  time.

Its easily as biased the other way as the Frenchies are.

Couple of interesting points raised, mostly I'm amazed owl theory isn't totally nuts.

Having watched the whole tv show and now listened to this I still haven't got a real idea whether he did it or not, if he didn't he sure is unlucky.

• 1 year later...

I completely devoured this when I first watched it. The court case and criminal proceedings are gripping of course, but as a portrait of a complicated and almost certainly a very terrible man it’s about as good as it gets. For what it’s worth I think he was absolutely guilty. It’s easy to get drawn in by him, but came away in the end thinking he’s just doing what he’s spent his life doing which is spinning a massive yarn. 

There’s stuff I’ve read more recently that I guess you can take with a pinch of salt, that firms up his motivation – or at least would explain him losing his temper on the night. I’m still convinced his weirdo son knows more than he’s letting on too. 

• 1 year later...

I’d forgotten there was a thread for this but did mention I’d watched it again in the Netflix topic. It’s still brilliant and what I found interesting is that the prosecution makes a huge blow poke for their own back with the murder weapon. I’ve read far better explanations that fit with all the timelines and the evidence and motives that were omitted from this documentary that would avoid it altogether and make the case a home run. I think the prosecution just weren’t very good and had bad expert witnesses and discredited methods, they just got gifted a few tap ins that sealed the deal in the end. 

I think even ignoring the evidence he and his family are deeply odd and there seems to be all sorts of skeletons knocking about in the closet. His two weirdo adopted daughters who looked exactly the same as him for instance. Aside from anything else, how many people have you ever found dead at the bottom of the stairs covered in blood? Well this bloke knows two. The prosecution rests.

Apparently he still lives in the town which must be fun. Also, he got sued for a lot of money by one of his kids so if he earns anything it goes towards paying that off, and he can't file for bankruptcy to avoid it as that's an omission of guilt or something. Sounds like he's just sort of spinning his wheels and spending quality time with fellow intellectual Todd until he finally shuffles off.