IGNORED

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

Jug McKenzie

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I can see them being similar to the Jedi ghosts we’ve had, but I was more wondering whether they can take over a physical being and sort of become them. It’s definitely an interesting idea and I can totally see it going that way, to at least give Snoke a bit of context.

I've not read any canon related things on possession. I just made that up, as I thought it would certainly give a little more context to Snoke, as you mentioned. 

Who's ready for a force ghost Emperor vs force ghost Luke in the final scenes then? With the Emperor using Kylo's body as a host, and Luke using Rey's, just after she is beaten by Kylo and is on the brink of death herself. Calling it.

48 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It looks like "Sith Ghosts" being "trapped to their tombs" is a Legends thing yes. They're anchored to the physical world as they can not merge with the Force on death. 

Looking at Wookipedia. This isn't in any of the canon stuff - yet - and  certainly none of the films. Think there might be Sith ghost stuff in Clone Wars though. 

Darth Banes spirit has a go at Yoda in the clone wars. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I've not read any canon related things on possession. I just made that up, as I thought it would certainly give a little more context to Snoke, as you mentioned. 

The story of the Sith Lord Momin (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Momin) in one of Marvel's Vader comics was a bit of canon groundwork which may point to what's going on, I feel.

Momin's spirit inhabited a mask, possessed living people, and ultimately used the dark side to resurrect himself fully.

I would be astonished if JJ Abrams is going to be scouring Star Wars novels and comics looking for precedents for what he's planning for Ep IX, or if he paid any attention at all to that stuff for that matter. He's in the position of someone who creates canon. If he wants to have the emperor haunting the ruins of the death star, surrounded by a forest full of force-corrupted man-eating ewoks - and he'd be a fool to want anything else - then he can make that happen. Obviously, he hasn't got final cut and has to get Disney to agree with him, but I don't think he needs to worry too much about contradicting some spin-off novel, or videogame.

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It also harks back to two other massive franchises, Sauron is of course the big bad without form stuck in his tower, and I think something similar with Voldemort? I'm not that versed in the ways of Harry Potter.   

Voldemort makes the most sense. Star Wars seems to be like LOTR where they die but their power is strong so a shadow of them is left to slowly regain its power. 

Voldemort used magic to protect himself from dying. He split his soul and stored the other parts in objects, so that when his body died they would survive. That left him as a ghost thing, then he possessed people, then got someone to make him a new body. The relics he stored his soul fragments in also caused a bunch of trouble.

12 minutes ago, K said:

I would be astonished if JJ Abrams is going to be scouring Star Wars novels and comics looking for precedents for what he's planning for Ep IX, or if he paid any attention at all to that stuff for that matter. He's in the position of someone who creates canon. If he wants to have the emperor haunting the ruins of the death star, surrounded by a forest full of force-corrupted man-eating ewoks - and he'd be a fool to want anything else - then he can make that happen. Obviously, he hasn't got final cut and has to get Disney to agree with him, but I don't think he needs to worry too much about contradicting some spin-off novel, or videogame.

There is however a literal full Lucasfilm "story-telling" group who work to bring all this stuff together. Normally I'd totally not care - and still don't really - about lore and even narrative logic making full sense, and I sometimes think it gets in the way of good story telling.

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There is however a literal full Lucasfilm "story-telling" group who work to bring all this stuff together. Normally I'd totally not care - and still don't really - about lore and even narrative logic making full sense, and I sometimes think it gets in the way of good story telling.

Yeah, but I get the sense that if Abrams wanted to do something and the story-telling group said "this contradicts something that was established in Shattered Empire issue #2", Abrams would win. I would have thought that the story-telling group's job is to make sure all the comics and games are consistent with that Abrams and Rian Johnson and Lawrence Kasdan decide to do, rather than the other way round. 

On 28/08/2019 at 16:30, K said:

There's just so much to choose from. I'd go for "FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, THE JEDI ARE EVIL!"

That is a clunker but I always liked Obi-wans reply "Well then you are lost!" and McGregor's delivery of the line.

I'm willing to bet that unless the actors totally flubbed their lines then Lucas would have gone with first takes every time. Or said he would fix it later.

50 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That is a clunker but I always liked Obi-wans reply "Well then you are lost!" and McGregor's delivery of the line.

I'm willing to bet that unless the actors totally flubbed their lines then Lucas would have gone with first takes every time. Or said he would fix it later.

McGregor pretty ropy in both TPM and AOTC imo but come into his own in ROTS - in spite of the material/Lucas, I think.

You can see little flashes of personality escaping every now and then "Another happy landing!", the 'couldn't be more Scottish shout' when he tries to kick Grevious in the balls. 
And the end speech after chopping off Anakin's legs and arm is still genuinely good. 

Immediately ruined by the "I HATE YOU!" shout after, mind but that's not his fault.

It’s gonna be something like Palps had a bunch of clones/potentials seeded all over the shop after his death, the idea being full on Sith/Darwinian survival of the fittest shit just abandoning the little tykes on their tod in hostile dumps. Any that survive then Highlander their way to being a Sith equivalent of the all powerful Chosen One and goes all fire and blood on the galaxy.

The twist is Rey has somehow come through it all as a genuinely good and empathetic person so instead of the ultimate Sith, she becomes the ultimate Jedi, a complete opposite of Anakin.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Pretty sure the story- telling group has final say on what is and isn't ok.

Yep, it's not like during the Lucas era where the films took precedence (along with the Clone Wars Animated series later) and any expanded universe material had to keep in line with that. I remember the headaches caused by the Clone Wars animated series changing stuff like the Mandalorian back story, which had already been established in various novels, and the fan meltdowns that erupted on places like the Force.net

Now everything Star Wars that is made post Disney buy out sits at the same level of continuity be it comic, film, mobile game, reference book etc.

5 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

It’s gonna be something like Palps had a bunch of clones/potentials seeded all over the shop after his death, the idea being full on Sith/Darwinian survival of the fittest shit just abandoning the little tykes on their tod in hostile dumps. Any that survive then Highlander their way to being a Sith equivalent of the all powerful Chosen One and goes all fire and blood on the galaxy.

The twist is Rey has somehow come through it all as a genuinely good and empathetic person so instead of the ultimate Sith, she becomes the ultimate Jedi, a complete opposite of Anakin.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

One of the fan theories I've read since the new trailer came out is that the infinite mirror scene in The Last Jedi was not just a surreal, symbolic metaphor for looking inward, facing herself, and experiencing her connection to the Force; but a literal representation of her being one of many clones scattered around the galaxy as part of Palpatine's plan. (Can't be leaving anything up to interpretation in my Star Wars!)

Some others I've seen suggested in the last few days:

1) The people we see in TFA's flashback abandoning her on Jakku were not her parents... but the people who rescued her from the cloning lab! It explains why she was so convinced they'd be back for her!

2) The dark Rey we see in the trailer is not a vision, or a clone... but her twin! (Like Luke and Leia, like poetry...)

3) Or if you want a twin theory that would completely undo the revelation of Rey's unremarkable parentage and the message that Force sensitivity can turn up anywhere: maybe Rey is... Anakin's hitherto-unknown twin sister! :omg: So a Skywalker, but from a generation earlier than most people were speculating prior to TLJ!

I can see the clone theory but then, who is she exactly a clone of and how is she so powerful (did Palpatine somehow manage to replicate the midichlorians), is she a straight clone of some long dead powerful Jedi/Sith?

I'm going to stick more with the "virgin birth" theory. Like Anakin, she was a direct product of the force created to counter an extreme Dark side convergence like Palpatine. He knew she, or someone like her, would be created, and is now actively seeking to take control of her body to come back and take over the galaxy yet again. 

The more I typed the above the more I could see the Clone theory, especially in light of the "mirror" sequence in TLJ.

20 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Pretty sure the story- telling group has final say on what is and isn't ok.

The Lucasfilm Story Group isn't directly involved in making the movies or dialog or scripts. They're not continuity police either. I don't think JJ actually met with them at all while making IX, and Rian said they never shot anything down.

34xlr2r1fq631.jpg

They were basically there to plan spinoffs featuring things from the films, but that plan basically exploded with all the reshoots and rewrites and changes in direction, and for a while they basically had to stop all the sequel era stuff because they had no overarching plan. The one thing they listed as a success was Darth Vaders castle, which they put into a couple of books and a mobile VR game.