IGNORED

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

Jug McKenzie

16 hours ago, Clipper said:

I watched the first film at the cinema on a rare treat outing and the other two followed soon after. It was such a rare treat the only other films I recall seeing at that tender age were Watership Down and Jungle Book.

The prequels came and went, nonsense not worthy of the name.

Then Disney bought it out and we got the "memberberries" - a phrase often used to decry something but I use it as a positive. The Force Awakens just brought out the 7 yr old in me once again - lifted him up and took him on a journey - and then crushed him quite badly (a fantastic moment I won't forget). The Last Jedi brought my Luke back to me, broken in many ways but the spark still there and with a fantastic visual sequence near the end (the red on white) and yet another crushing ensued.

And now this one will hopefully do the same.

Yes I KNOW it is nostalgia and I KNOW it is playing on my 7 yr old self and it's a rerun or a remake. I don't care I just want to be reminded of it - have it played back to me with a new riff I recognise. I am older , I don't want a fucking trade war or midiclorians I just want my Star Wars , the one I remember.

After this trilogy do what you like - just like you did with Rogue One. I don't mind, have new films, I might watch them I might enjoy them I might think they are "better" than the new trilogy. But just let me/us have this...

All the memberberries.. every single fucking one :D

That's fair enough, and it's also exactly the polar opposite of what I want. In fairness that's what JJ seems to want to deliver so you've got the right man there.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But here's the thing.you can go back and watch the films (ok not in their original "Han shoots first" way) but you can be a 7 year old and watch Empire and still be thrilled as Vader tells Luke who his father is. 

You don't need to go to the cinema and watch a pale imitation  of greatness. 

I dont understand "Star Wars" fans that hate anything other than the original films, surely you can appreciate something of the new films (and even the Prequels).

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

I dont understand "Star Wars" fans that hate anything other than the original films, surely you can appreciate something of the new films (and even the Prequels).

Are there actually that many of them though? Most of the vocal backlash seems to be directed at TLJ and to a lesser extent Solo. The rest of the films seem to get a good spread/mix of likes and dislikes.

As much as C-3PO is easy to dislike, he's an iconic character and I hope he gets the send off he deserves. The friends comment, whilst cheesy was great.

There's no Han, Leia's appearance is based on clips from the cutting room floor, Luke is a ghost. Let us bid at least one character from the original film and subsequent saga an emotional hero's farewell.

I can’t see either Artoo or Threepio getting ‘killed’ in this. I firmly believe they’ll both be the final characters on screen right at the end, just as they were both the first on screen 42 years ago. I’ll go as far as to say that I’m going to be very disappointed if they’re not. 

23 hours ago, PK said:

I might have a little cry at the end, even if the film isn't very good.  I'm going to see it at the Odeon Leicester Square with a mate from school, we've been to see all the prequels and Force Awakens at that cinema, life having gotten in the way of TLJ.  20 years ago we were there stoned out of our 15-year old minds not really believing we were seeing new Star Wars and thinking the Phantom Menace was the best film ever made, then a few years later we were pissing ourselves laughing with the rest of the cinema at the dodgy dialogue and wet dream in Attack of the Clones, and we watched Revenge of the Sith and then spent the rest of the night trying to convince each other it was a good film.  We had to go and see Force Awakens twice because we initially made the stupid mistake of meeting in the pub at 1pm for a 22:30 showing, but the first trip involved buying bottles of red wine with our popcorn and using a tuk-tuk & a taxi to get back to Peckham before our dealer arrived, and was one of the funniest nights of my life.  We're both rapidly approaching middle age now so it'll be a little calmer but on the Friday of opening weekend for this we're going to get a little bit sozzled over dinner, laugh a lot, sit in reclining Luxe seats and finish a lovely tradition.

Two wee bottles of red in a big plastic cup and a movie at the Peckhamplex? You are me and I claim my £10. 

3 hours ago, cubik said:

As much as C-3PO is easy to dislike, he's an iconic character and I hope he gets the send off he deserves. The friends comment, whilst cheesy was great.

There's no Han, Leia's appearance is based on clips from the cutting room floor, Luke is a ghost. Let us bid at least one character from the original film and subsequent saga an emotional hero's farewell.

Yeah, fuck you Chewbacca  you walking carpet.

12 hours ago, bridger said:

I can’t see either Artoo or Threepio getting ‘killed’ in this. I firmly believe they’ll both be the final characters on screen right at the end, just as they were both the first on screen 42 years ago. I’ll go as far as to say that I’m going to be very disappointed if they’re not. 

I agree the 3po 'death' will be a fakeout of sorts - he'll be back before the end.  i think they'll both be there, but they won't be alone.  as much as it could be seen as a re-tread of RotJ, i think a happy band of heroes, plus force ghosts, will be in attendance too.

17 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I don't hate the other films .. Well maybe the Phantom menace, because midichlorians.  but i do object to them just remaking the same old film time an again. I loved Rogue one because it wasn't a skywalker poncing around being all jedi mind tricks and hokey religions. It was a new story in a universe i love. 

they can tell new stories but keep fucking it up with slow interstellar chases, irritating characters and  superfluous plot dead ends. And whilst i know there was no overarching story in the originals, it at least felt like there was.

These last three just feel like opportunities to be parted from my cash, not entertainment. Soulless attempts to pander to the "fans" and do nothing new or interesting. 

1 hour ago, Darren said:

But who will be on the inevitable funeral pyre?

My money's on

Hide contents

Rey

That's not a spoiler, just a guess...

Oh hang on, I've just realised, it will almost certainly be

Spoiler

Leia

for maximum heartstring tuggage.

18 hours ago, superfunk said:

Daniels’ performance of Threepio is so different now to the first Star Wars, too. His voice gets higher pitched and more staccato as the films progress. Relatively speaking, he’s almost laid back in the first movie. 

Yep, it's like he's trying to do an impression of Threepio, rather than actually being Threepio. Daniels is a twat anyway. 

23 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But here's the thing.you can go back and watch the films (ok not in their original "Han shoots first" way)

Says you Bob ! I’ve still got .iso files of the last run of THX laserdiscs before they switched to the SEs.

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I don't hate the other films .. Well maybe the Phantom menace, because midichlorians.  but i do object to them just remaking the same old film time an again. I loved Rogue one because it wasn't a skywalker poncing around being all jedi mind tricks and hokey religions. It was a new story in a universe i love. 

they can tell new stories but keep fucking it up with slow interstellar chases, irritating characters and  superfluous plot dead ends. And whilst i know there was no overarching story in the originals, it at least felt like there was.

These last three just feel like opportunities to be parted from my cash, not entertainment. Soulless attempts to pander to the "fans" and do nothing new or interesting. 

Fair enough, I think with these recent Saga films Disney felt they had to play it safe with their new purchase by being overly reverential to the original trilogy to keep the masses happy and onboard. They obviously didn't want a Prequel Trilogy situation, even going so far as to distance themselves from that era by cancelling fantastic stuff like Clone Wars at the time.

I think now the whole Skywalker saga thing is coming to a close we should hopefully see more original projects that can explore the SW universe in greater detail without being tied to the Skywalker name and time period. I am all for delving into a Knights of the Old Republic era Film/TV series or even something set far in the future. 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yeah, those failures have only made billions. The people have spoken and it's certain they don't want them.

What does that even mean though? Of course all Star Wars fans have been to see them all and paid their money. It’s only after that they feel let down.

But, let’s not do this again. Everyone knows these new films have been very divisive. I just hope they can give us a good one with this final part. And obviously going forward.