Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

Jug McKenzie

10 hours ago, KriessG said:

10 films? That doesn’t sound right.

10 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I guess he is including rogue one and han solo ? 

the chronological order is :

Solo

Rogue 1

Original trilogy 

New trilogy 

=8 films

so to get to 10 you’d need to add in caravan of courage and the battle for endor. 

5 minutes ago, And said:

Solo

Rogue 1

Original trilogy 

New trilogy 

=8 films

so to get to 10 you’d need to add in caravan of courage and the battle for endor. 

Oh wait hang on.

He must be referring to the Shadows of the Empire book, comic and N64 game. 

I'm halfway through a re-watch and am doing something I don't normally do with films: I'm biasing my view towards it, and being forgiving. On that level, i'm ignoring its biggest flaws and focusing on the good parts. 

I struggle hardest with (and it's a problem I have with TFA, to a lesser extent) is the lack of important roles for droids and non-humans. Weird beings speaking (subtitled) alien languages adds that extraterrestrial lack of familiarity good fantasy needs, and droids add technological sophistication that stops it just being re-skinned medieval knights and WWII Axis vs. Allies I N... S P A C E...!!!!.

Both Rogue One and The Mandalorian have their faults - some of them pretty glaring - but I feel both get those aspects of the Star Wars universe right. Whatever their failings, they are quintessentially Star Wars in a way that supersedes TFA and completely eclipses TLJ. That's a big deal for me, probably less for the average filmgoer mind.

10 minutes ago, And said:

Solo

Rogue 1

Original trilogy 

New trilogy 

=8 films

What? So the prequels don't exist i get that. 

But fucking solo counts? Worse than the phantom menace.

3 hours ago, Treble said:

First impressions are out

Reveal hidden contents

and a tad mixed. Sounds a bit expository in the first half, and lore-heavy to explain what's been going on in the previous two, with a couple of reviewers mentioning stuff that implies JJ has wallpapered over RJ's ideas. 

However, there's some really positive impressions as well. It certainly sounds action-packed. No doubt its still going to divide people, although it sounds like it's pitched firmly at appeasing the fanbase, if I'm reading between the lines properly. 

No actual plot spoilers here, but ignore if you're going dark:

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-early-buzz/

There was an interview with JJ Abrams a few months ago where he pretty much said that he'd be addressing (i.e. changing) the stuff around Rey's parents in the new film:

“I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”

Super-vague, but it sounds like her parents will be revealed as nobodies - secret Jedi master Az Nobudeez and his wife Mon Mothma, that is! 

ABRAMS YOU COWARD

27 minutes ago, whizzo said:

What? So the prequels don't exist i get that. 

But fucking solo counts? Worse than the phantom menace.

for the purposes of the joke, yes.
Though I think Solo is brill. Not a tax treaty in sight. And my kids loved it. Though both say their fave so far is Rogue 1 

I’d have watched the prequels with the kids but 1 and 2 are on dvd in the loft and I lent 3 to someone a few years ago and never got it back and for the first time didn’t care. That’s how little I think of the prequels 

11 minutes ago, And said:

for the purposes of the joke, yes.
Though I think Solo is brill. Not a tax treaty in sight. And my kids loved it. Though both say their fave so far is Rogue 1 

I’d have watched the prequels with the kids but 1 and 2 are on dvd in the loft and I lent 3 to someone a few years ago and never got it back and for the first time didn’t care. That’s how little I think of the prequels 

I thought Solo has been the best of the new films too. Couldn't see much of it due to it being so fucking dark much of the time, and the sound mix appeared very off some of the time but in general I thought it captured the feel of the universe pretty well. 

Having said all that though, I've lost most of that love I had for the thing when I was younger. They're 'just' movies these days. 

And having said all that, I still get excited each and every time I watch the The Old Republic trailers! Honestly, you could hook all that silly shit up to my veins and I'd be perfectly happy.

24 minutes ago, K said:

There was an interview with JJ Abrams a few months ago where he pretty much said that he'd be addressing (i.e. changing) the stuff around Rey's parents in the new film:

Super-vague, but it sounds like her parents will be revealed as nobodies - secret Jedi master Az Nobudeez and his wife Mon Mothma, that is! 

ABRAMS YOU COWARD

Hadn't heard this... Oh well at least will be prepared for it now.

Kylo Ren: Rey, you are my secret, Skywalker, siamese twin. We were separated at birth by Darth Vader's lightsaber and the Emperor came back to life by eating the placenta or some shit.

49 minutes ago, K said:

ABRAMS YOU COWARD

And that’s totally the problem with this trilogy. Whether you prefer TFA or TLJ, they’re both pulling in completely opposite directions to the detriment of the story and now we’ve got this last film to pull everything back together and wrap it all up.

Obviously I haven’t seen it yet and maybe JJ has pulled it off, but it’s been really disappointing that the whole thing has been such a mess, albeit with some really good stuff in there. Hopefully they’ve learnt from their mistakes and the next trilogy is better.

Edit: I said pull a lot just then!

The overall lack of a cohesive plan and story arc for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - is a monumental failure on Disney and Lucasfilm's part IMO.

You can see they had two routes to go at the beginning. The Marvel route where you plan everything out years in advance, or the DC one where you let individual film makers control each part of their story (and don't worry about the problems with a consistent tone). Kathy Kennedy picked the film maker led approach (which I agree sounds good on paper because of the cinematic legacy of these films) but was absolutely NOT the approach to take - as they soon found out when they started sacking film makers.  

And whilst I'm sure this film will be entertaining and I will see it at the cinema - its a shame it feels like something to get out the way, rather than to savour and enjoy. 

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

And that’s totally the problem with this trilogy. Whether you prefer TFA or TLJ, they’re both pulling in completely opposite directions to the detriment of the story and now we’ve got this last film to pull everything back together and wrap it all up.

Obviously I haven’t seen it yet and maybe JJ has pulled it off, but it’s been really disappointing that the whole thing has been such a mess, albeit with some really good stuff in there. Hopefully they’ve learnt from their mistakes and the next trilogy is better.

Edit: I said pull a lot just then!

I imagine it'll be like Return of the Jedi - a safer, more crowd-pleasing ending to the trilogy that probably isn't as bold or surprising as it could be, but is still good fun. I will be annoyed if they undo some of the stuff I liked about TLJ, but I imagine I'll still enjoy it.

I've said this before but why did they not get Rogue One out first, which would have given everyone the nods and winks Disney seem exteremely fond of? That would have given them time to plot out the character arcs and fine tune the story. After that, having different directors may have not been that big a deal. 

35 minutes ago, K said:

I imagine it'll be like Return of the Jedi - a safer, more crowd-pleasing ending to the trilogy that probably isn't as bold or surprising as it could be, but is still good fun. I will be annoyed if they undo some of the stuff I liked about TLJ, but I imagine I'll still enjoy it.

I hope it is like Return of the Jedi, seeing as that’s still my favourite of the lot. I just think there are too many conflicting directions and loose ends to tie it all up satisfactorily in one film. I’m looking forward to finding out on Thursday.

14 minutes ago, Steven said:

I've said this before but why did they not get Rogue One out first, which would have given everyone the nods and winks Disney seem exteremely fond of? That would have given them time to plot out the character arcs and fine tune the story. After that, having different directors may have not been that big a deal. 

Because they had no plan.

Seeing this Thursday, really looking forward to coming out of the cinema and telling everyone how amazing it is on social media only to gradually read more negative responses and eventually come to terms with the fact that it actually was a bit naff.

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The overall lack of a cohesive plan and story arc for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - is a monumental failure on Disney and Lucasfilm's part IMO.

You can see they had two routes to go at the beginning. The Marvel route where you plan everything out years in advance, or the DC one where you let individual film makers control each part of their story (and don't worry about the problems with a consistent tone). Kathy Kennedy picked the film maker led approach (which I agree sounds good on paper because of the cinematic legacy of these films) but was absolutely NOT the approach to take - as they soon found out when they started sacking film makers.  

And whilst I'm sure this film will be entertaining and I will see it at the cinema - its a shame it feels like something to get out the way, rather than to savour. 

I am quite confused by the whole thing. It reminds me of that game where you write a line and then fold the paper over and someone writes the next line without knowing what you’ve written and in the end you just end up with a funny mess. 

Obviously it’s not the same thing but it just seems so easy to paint someone into a corner with your decisions and it certainly feels like that’s what’s happened here. This is further compounded by the loss of Carrie Fischer. 

So now we get the Emperor on his weird robo throne or whatever.