rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

7 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Grant was great but Gleeson is a good actor too and played the part he was given very well. The fact that the First Order weren't very threatening was the fault of the writing and not of the actors. 

Glad they did finally introduce a proper imperial officer in the vein of Tarkin etc. for the third film, it was desperately needed. 

Gleeson is a good actor, but misfired badly as Hux imo.  Yes a lot of it is down to the writing of the character, but he has to carry some of the blame as well.  Ade Edmondson FFS was a more convincing First Order officer at the start of TLJ!!!!

2 hours ago, ben-k said:

Here are my thoughts. They are all spoiler-y

Hide contents

- They gave him a goddamn medal. Yeah they did. 
- The Carrie Fisher stuff is fine I guess. I miss her using, you know, nouns and stuff. But you work with what you've got. 
- The little droid repair guy is the only thing that got a laugh
- There are so many open loops in this movie
- What did Finn want to tell Rey?
- Why build up the whole thing about C3PO losing his memory then not pay it off?
- Did R2 and 3PO get a bit at the end? Did I miss it?
- And if you're going to make us fear for 3PO's safety, don't write him like Jar Jar in the first act
- That said, Sith 3PO is mega
- Jesus, Lando, she could be your granddaughter. I mean, she could literally be your granddaughter
- So we're just pretending the Rose and Finn thing didn't happen because, what? To keep the manbabies happy? That's pretty fucking ugly
- Why does Jannah only get to talk to other black characters?
- The "Dunkirk crossing" shot is magnificent
- The new droid is funny. Give him and the little droid mechanic their own movie
- Palpatine is super creepy. Perfectly pitched
- But when did he have a kid?
- I would have thought the best time to track down your offspring is, I dunno, when you're supreme Emperor of an evil galactic empire, rather than shortly after your death
- Darkside Rey is super hot

I enjoyed watching it. I think I need a couple more tries before I can say I liked it. 

I don’t feel like I did when I left TLJ - which I felt had got so much right that it left me in tears. 

This is a solid and intelligent assessment which echoes my gut reaction.

Fell asleep a bit in the middle for Christ's sake.

Bring back Rian.

• Upvote 2

One thing from me for now

Spoiler

Knights of Ren were a complete waste of space

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Waggo said:

Richard E Grant is a superb sneering villainous First Order/Imperial officer.  He should have played Hux in all 3 films to give the character some proper menace, rather than the pantomime comic relief performance we were subjected to.

Richard E Grant’s inclusion can only mean one thing. That Star Wars takes place in the Spiceworld The Movie universe.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Waggo said:

Gleeson is a good actor, but misfired badly as Hux imo.  Yes a lot of it is down to the writing of the character, but he has to carry some of the blame as well.  Ade Edmondson FFS was a more convincing First Order officer at the start of TLJ!!!!

Gleeson is a great actor, but has always felt completely miscast in this trilogy. His performance carries absolutely no weight in any of them. I really wish Richard E Grant had been given General Hux’s role in TFA.

That's a fantastic rant @JLM, nice one. The "Look under your seat" part was so bang-on :D

I'm not sure anyone can refute anything you wrote, Tbh, even if they liked it. 

Sorry @freezycold, @JLMhas now knocked your post down to 2nd best of the thread. 

That wee dissection is pretty much my feelings in a better way than I could ever manage to express them, right down to Adam Driver being the best bit of the trilogy. 

JJ's treatment of Rose is shocking, in particular. He Jar-Jar-ed her. The actress must have been terribly upset.

• Upvote 6

It’s true, all of it. He forgot the worst scene in the whole movie though, the one that made me say “oh fucking hell gross”:

Spoiler

Rey and Ben kissing for absolutely no reason.

21 minutes ago, Festoon said:

JJ's treatment of Rose is shocking, in particular. He Jar-Jar-ed her. The actress must have been terribly upset.

Agreed. Rose's sidelining felt like it was caving into the hateful backlash that Kelly Marie Tran received.

I was also disappointed that Abrams' own female supporting character (Maz Kanata) got just as little to do as Rose. In The Force Awakens she didn't really live up to Han's warnings before they entered her castle, but was still interesting, and The Last Jedi hinted at her adventures outside of the Resistance. But in the end...

Spoiler

... Leia took the role of Force-teaching mentor.

But Lupita Nyong'o had nowhere near the public backlash that Tran received, so Maz doing nothing felt like Abrams' decision (and also potentially VFX budget-related), rather than a response to negative fan reaction.

11 hours ago, freezycold said:

On reflection I did like...

Hide contents

Rey’s Lib Dem lightsaber ruining everything.

Spoiler

She should have had a big Mace Windu style purple one.

6 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

The Knights of Ren could've been ace but they were essentially the biker gang from Every Which Way but Loose.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

From now on I'll even hear their signature music whenever they get screentime.

Right turn Chewie!

• Upvote 3

Hmmm, am I the only one seeing JLM's post as being just like the manbaby whining he's having a go at?

• Upvote 8

Yep, agree with the general comments and JLM, apart from revering The Last Jedi.

I was pretty disappointed in this but TLJ actually made me angry with how terrible it was and how it was caught up in trying to be too self aware of the franchise and the fans instead of just making a film. Sad that this film got itself trapped in the wake of that too, such a mess.

Force Awakens and Rogue One are still my faves, peaked so soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I'm still trying to piece it together in my mind after seeing it last night. Part of me enjoyed it, another part was disappointed. Defintely requires another viewing at least.

For what it’s worth I do acknowledge that TLJ has plenty of its own issues as well. It’s incredibly polarising isn’t it? I definitely found more to enjoy in it than to dislike, so I defend it on that basis because a lot of folks reeeaaaally hate it. I had  a much bigger issue with the unbelievably transparent pandering in this one though.

Also I don’t dispute that there is some man baby whining in my post, I’m an adult Star Wars fan writing a venomous rant about A Star Wars film after all. I just really hoped they wouldn’t cave this badly. The pandering and retconning was so on the nose that I could not engage with the film at all. I found myself rolling my eyes and laughing when I wasn’t supposed to,  and I didn’t have that problem with TLJ or even the incredibly safe and rehashy TFA.  I really wanted to like this movie guys. :( 

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, JLM said:

For what it’s worth I do acknowledge that TLJ has plenty of its own issues as well. It’s incredibly polarising isn’t it? I definitely found more to enjoy in it than to dislike, so I defend it on that basis because a lot of folks reeeaaaally hate it. I had  a much bigger issue with the unbelievably transparent pandering in this one though.

Also I don’t dispute that there is some man baby whining in my post, I’m an adult Star Wars fan writing a venomous rant about A Star Wars film after all. I just really hoped they wouldn’t cave this badly. The pandering and retconning was so on the nose that I could not engage with the film at all. I found myself rolling my eyes and laughing when I wasn’t supposed to,  and I didn’t have that problem with TLJ or even the incredibly safe and rehashy TFA.  I really wanted to like this movie guys. :( 

Don't worry, your post was funny. Something you couldn't accuse Rise of.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Hide contents

She should have had a big Mace Windu style purple one.

Spoiler

UKIP Lightsabre?

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, JLM said:

Oh yeah, it has problems, but its highs are among the best in the entire series as far as I’m concerned. The Ren/Rey interactions, Luke, Yoda’s appearance, the throne room fight, and the showdown at the end: all utterly brilliant.

It’s really missing something for the rest of the cast to do. One of the adventures/MacGuffins in this should have been in TLJ.

• Upvote 8

36 minutes ago, JLM said:

Haha I rolled my eyes too (my thoughts on the film are scheduled to go up on my blog tonight, I'll share the link when it goes live), quite a few times, there were some moments I nearly groaned but there was an autistic girl sat behind me who was really enjoying the whole thing and I just thought "as much as I have mixed feelings about this, I don't want to ruin it for her".

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Oh yeah, it has problems, but its highs are among the best in the entire series as far as I’m concerned. The Ren/Rey interactions, Luke, Yoda’s appearance, the throne room fight, and the showdown at the end: all utterly brilliant.

It’s really missing something for the rest of the cast to do. One of the adventures/MacGuffins in this should have been in TLJ.

100% agree with all of this. One of my friends I saw this with said "well it at least it was better than TLJ" and I almost involuntarily blurted out "the throne room scene in TLJ absolutely smokes anything in this film". The Star Wars-y highs of TLJ made up for any of the downsides for me personally, so on that basis it's by far my favourite of this trilogy. I also thought the handling of Luke in TLJ was perfect but I know there is a looot of disagreement about that. 

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Waggo said:

Richard E Grant is a superb sneering villainous First Order/Imperial officer.  He should have played Hux in all 3 films to give the character some proper menace, rather than the pantomime comic relief performance we were subjected to.

Hux was decent enough in the first film. Then in TLJ he was given a load of awful make up and make to act a fool. That's the pity, RJ basically wrote him out as a meaningful character in the second film, making him a comedy villain.

He was better here, but with little to do and no real chance of redemption well...