rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

I'm surprised people are angry about the film trying to please the fans.

Because if it didn't you'd all be "Well it's a shame that didn't happen".

Absolute no-win for this one for JJ.

Really though, compare this to 99.9% of other sci fi films and you're calling it rubbish? Go eat your own head.

• Upvote 8

So a question about Leia.

She didn't 'die' until Ben did. So was she keeping him alive. Was she in Ben? Did he die from the fall?

I guess it's meant to be mysterious, but it is a question for sure.

I actually liked that id forgotten she would fade away - so when she did it was a nice reminder and an "Ahhhh" moment.

13 minutes ago, Hamus said:

I'm surprised people are angry about the film trying to please the fans.

Because if it didn't you'd all be "Well it's a shame that didn't happen".

Strongly disagree with this. For example, I loved that TLJ didn't feel the need to do a stupid twisty reveal about Snoke's origin story. I respected them for not doing it. Then JJ went and did it in this film and I didn't like it. I'm not impossible to please, my  thing is that TLJ did some bold stuff that I enjoyed and then this film very very obviously and clumsily undid it all. Plus all of the other specific things I mentioned in my ranty post.  If you hated TLJ and like this one more then that's good for you. No need for any self cannibalism. :) 

Totally agree with you on TLJ's handling of Hux though. The comedy stuff with him clanged really badly and I didn't like it at all. 

• Upvote 6

I liked two of of the films in this trilogy and I loved Rogue One but I didn't like this one. I don't think anyone who disagrees with me is wrong though. It’s a discussion thread about the film, people are going to disagree. It’s ok. 

• Upvote 9

I think / hope everyone in here went the the cinema intending to like the film. I certainly did. 

• Upvote 2

I would definitely like to see what was left on the cutting room floor. It wasn’t that long ago that JJ said it was going to be a 3+ hour movie, and I wonder if that contributed to the first half jumping all over the place.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Haha I rolled my eyes too (my thoughts on the film are scheduled to go up on my blog tonight, I'll share the link when it goes live), quite a few times, there were some moments I nearly groaned but there was an autistic girl sat behind me who was really enjoying the whole thing and I just thought "as much as I have mixed feelings about this, I don't want to ruin it for her".

And this is it. This is primarily a film for  kids. And kids should be allowed to enjoy it for what it is. 

It is pish, but it shouldn’t really be made for me, a 36 year old man. I hope kids love it, and I reckon they will. 

Good for you being an adult and not ruining something for a kid. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Fucking hell this place can suck the joy out of anything :rolleyes:

I enjoyed it and I can't be arsed to discuss why cause this will just turn into another TLJ back and forth where I try explain why and people shout at me to tell me why I'm wrong.

If you don't like the Disney Star Wars, nevermind but I did so it's all good for me.

Pretty much this yes. I'm totally wanting to discuss some thing related to this new Star Wars but I'm not really interested in some dissection class like in TLJ thread, and the vitriolic discourse. I liked this a lot and that's good enough for me. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

I'm surprised people are angry about the film trying to please the fans 

I think people are angry about the film trying to please the wankers. 

There’s a way of making a great Star Wars movie without apologising to the absolute worst people in the world. 

• Upvote 8

37 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I would definitely like to see what was left on the cutting room floor. It wasn’t that long ago that JJ said it was going to be a 3+ hour movie, and I wonder if that contributed to the first half jumping all over the place.

For once I'd actually like to see the longer cut; I think it might give some things some breathing space, which would benefit the film (and that's from someone with a positive first impression).

Going again either tomorrow or Monday. IMAX screening this time. Looking forward to drinking in those sweet, sweet visuals in sweet, sweet laser projection. 2D laser projection, no less.

14 hours ago, freezycold said:

Richard E Grant’s inclusion can only mean one thing. That Star Wars takes place in the Spiceworld The Movie universe.

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the girl power of the force.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

So a question about Leia.

Hide contents

She didn't 'die' until Ben did. So was she keeping him alive. Was she in Ben? Did he die from the fall?

I guess it's meant to be mysterious, but it is a question for sure.

I actually liked that id forgotten she would fade away - so when she did it was a nice reminder and an "Ahhhh" moment.

Spoiler

She was now at peace. Pretty sure she was dead already though. 

One thing that did happen, entirely by chance..:

there were a couple of us pissing into the wind after TFA way back in the other thread suggesting Rey might be a Palpatine based on her lightsaber fighting style being very similar to his, so was pleased that one panned out, even though it was totally by accident !

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I think / hope everyone in here went the the cinema intending to like the film. I certainly did. 

I did too. Love both TFA and TLJ. It never occurred to me they could fuck up the last film. Sadly,  in my opinion they did. I'm not really angry about it, just surprised.:wacko:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Droo said:

And this is it. This is primarily a film for  kids. And kids should be allowed to enjoy it for what it is. 

It is pish, but it shouldn’t really be made for me, a 36 year old man. I hope kids love it, and I reckon they will. 

Good for you being an adult and not ruining something for a kid. 

She wasn't a kid, she was in her 20s but definitely showed traits of autism, but I don't think the "it's for kids" has ever stood, a good film is a good film regardless of any perceived target audience. People see My Neighbour Totoro or Coraline as being kids films but they're both excellent films in their own rights.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The bit that got me was 

Hide contents

Chewie collapsing with that wail when he found out Leia had died. :(

I'm glad they did this because he never got to do that when Han died. Even Leia ignored him when he got back from Star Killer Base and hugged Rey instead.

Spoiler

But watching him fall down, wail and pushing Poe away was heartbreaking. All his friends are gone :(

• Upvote 1

Just back from seeing it and thought

Spoiler

It made a decent fist of creating an ending from the reset button being pressed in TLJ. 
The first half hour is terrible, where some scenes are hacked together and you have no investment in what’s presented as it hadn’t been built up to. The scroll is a joke ‘The Dead Speak’ - Palpatine is alive! How lazy just passing of this massive reveal in a text sentence. It really should have been set up as the big reveal at the end of TLJ seeing a series of tanks with loads of Snokes in different forms. 

Also disliked the usual group meeting of how we gonna blow this up, only to have a ground and air attack on a single doodad that blows everything up - yet again. Yawn.

What happened to a Finn and Roses’ romance? Why did Leia’s green lightsaber turn blue after the training screen with Luke. Green and blue make yellow.

Too much wayfinder/dagger planet hopping 

made it a bit of video game caper.

Loved the Rey/Kylo stuff esp, the battle in the crashed Death Star and the way Threepio played more of a part especially on the worm tunnel planet where it started to feel like Star Wars.

Rolled my eyes at Chewie getting his medal, ewoks and Ootinee!! member berries ladled on at the end. 

Glad this saga is now over and would go RoS, TLJ and TFA best to worst in this series. Now hopefully onto something fresh.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, macosx said:

Just back from seeing it and thought

Reveal hidden contents

It made a decent fist of creating an ending from the reset button being pressed in TLJ. 
The first half hour is terrible, where some scenes are hacked together and you have no investment in what’s presented as it hadn’t been built up to. The scroll is a joke ‘The Dead Speak’ - Palpatine is alive! How lazy just passing of this massive reveal in a text sentence. It really should have been set up as the big reveal at the end of TLJ seeing a series of tanks with loads of Snokes in different forms. 

Also disliked the usual group meeting of how we gonna blow this up, only to have a ground and air attack on a single doodad that blows everything up - yet again. Yawn.

What happened to a Finn and Roses’ romance? Why did Leia’s green lightsaber turn blue after the training screen with Luke. Green and blue make yellow.

Too much wayfinder/dagger planet hopping 

made it a bit of video game caper.

Loved the Rey/Kylo stuff esp, the battle in the crashed Death Star and the way Threepio played more of a part especially on the worm tunnel planet where it started to feel like Star Wars.

Rolled my eyes at Chewie getting his medal, ewoks and Ootinee!! member berries ladled on at the end. 

Glad this saga is now over and would go RoS, TLJ and TFA best to worst in this series. Now hopefully onto something fresh.

Leia’s light saber is Blue. 
Luke’s own made light saber is Green. 

This is what you see during the training scene with the two of them. 

The two light saber’s that Rey & Ben have at the end are Leia’s Blue saber and Anakin/Luke’s Blue saber. 

:quote:

• Upvote 4

One last thing. Big Lime of course used to post here but no longer does not. I feel his Twitter take absolute hits the nail on the head for me. He couldn’t have said it better. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

I’m more critical of it because I love it and really wanted to like this film. I am disappointed at being left cold by something that should be a guaranteed home run for me. The idea that you can’t feel let down by something you’re a fan of is pretty ridiculous to me. I’m glad people enjoyed it though, and I was sad that so many people hated TLJ, but I love a good ramble about Star Wars either way. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Bucky said:

Anyone that ranks any prequel or standalone or modern trilogy film above RotJ needs to take a good long look at themselves.  There are times when, whisper it, that it edges out TESB just on its final third alone.

It’s the best one.

On 20/12/2019 at 00:26, Bazjam said:

overall it just highlighted to me how much of a better director RJ is than JJ.

To be fair JJ was in a kobayashi maru situation.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I actually loved Threepio in this. A pretty good send-off.

Yes, I too felt the Threepio stuff was good in this. 

I can distinctly recall, back in the early '80s, when Star Wars came on TV for the first time in my life. One scene stuck out: "Please don't deactivate me!" I was only 4 or 5, but recall being genuinely afraid they were just going switch him off permanently. Threepio's scenes in this reminded of that, reminded me of my childhood. :)

• Upvote 3