Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

18 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

2100 words and that's what you pick up on, ha ha. I dunno, my memory's terrible and I may well have got that wrong. I *vividly* remember watching ROTJ at the cinema (I remember jumping out of my seat when Vader activates his lightsaber while walking alongside Luke) and I know by then I'd seen Star Wars. A bit of digging shows that Star Wars made its UK TV debut on Sunday October 24th 1982 at 7:15pm. So I obviously saw Star Wars then or thereabouts. It's possible I didn't see Empire until after then, I suppose. I'll have to ask my parents if they remember.   

I'm sure Empire wasn't released on VHS until 1985. I remember my Dad booking it from our local video shop for my eighth birthday. I think Jedi hit VHS in 1986.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, sure. In his dying moments, Finn wanted her to acknowledge that he can feel a bit of the force, like a child showing an adult their terrible drawing. 

According to JJ logic, this probably makes Finn a Windu. 

Yeah, I found that odd. There is no doubt that they were trying to seed Finn's force sensitivity. But at the same time, it's not the type of thing you would bring up if both of you were seconds from death.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Just got back from seeing it again. Fuck it, I don’t care how many holes are in it, I loved it second time around.

My sentiments exactly.  It is a really, really enjoyable cinema experience.  

These guys taking it all way too seriously:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYnV6enNwcm91dC5jb20vMTU0ODkzLnJzcw&episode=QnV6enNwcm91dC0yMzMzMDc4

I get frustrated with the negativity. There were three StarWars films. Everything else is Hollywood bleeding the franchises dry for money and we know that.  If you stop focussing on the originals and just chill it's an amazing action movie, way better than the likes of the Marvel Universe stuff, for example.  Daisy Ridley is outstanding in this film and the set pieces are amazing pieces of art.  

• Upvote 5
10 hours ago, LyonJacques said:

Some glaring plot holes / minor nitpicks, in descending order of importance - Any answers? Forgive me if any of these have been explained:

Hide contents

Why did Sith bounty hunter take Rey’s parents off Jakku in his ship only to kill them? Why would he believe them when they said “not on Jakku honest guv”? Where else was he going to look? What other leads were there?

(As an aside, things must be pretty bleak when the only way to keep your child safe is to sell them into slavery..)

I was watching TFA the other day, and the guy she gets sold to gets one whiff of the fact that the FO are looking for a droid and willing to pay, and suddenly the whole planet is after BB8. The guy can't have been looking very hard.

Something else I've noticed after watching the trilogy in a short space of time is that BB8 was great and really funny in TFA. Since then he's still been in all the films but pretty bloody rubbish in comparison.

11 hours ago, LyonJacques said:

Some glaring plot holes / minor nitpicks, in descending order of importance - Any answers? Forgive me if any of these have been explained:

Hide contents

How did Ren get off Endor after Rey stole his ship?

[EDIT: I just remembered Kylo landed on Exogol in an OG Tie fighter (and parked it next to Rey’s X wing like a toy collector) so presumably he found it somewhere in the ruins of the Death Star. Bit handwavey but makes sense.]

Spoiler

OG Ties don't have hyperdrives! 0/10 unwatchable.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1
8 hours ago, dumpster said:

My sentiments exactly.  It is a really, really enjoyable cinema experience.  

These guys taking it all way too seriously:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYnV6enNwcm91dC5jb20vMTU0ODkzLnJzcw&episode=QnV6enNwcm91dC0yMzMzMDc4

I get frustrated with the negativity. There were three StarWars films. Everything else is Hollywood bleeding the franchises dry for money and we know that.  If you stop focussing on the originals and just chill it's an amazing action movie, way better than the likes of the Marvel Universe stuff, for example.  Daisy Ridley is outstanding in this film and the set pieces are amazing pieces of art.  

The plot is bonkers though, makes no sense at all, and was clearly made up as they went along. The various strands playing out in the final act were ridiculous. I don't see how anybody could be satisfied with it, as it's a disservice no matter if you are a Jedi fan, a Sith fan, a Rebellion fan, an Empire fan, a Force/Midichlorian fan, a fan of Star Wars clones/cloning, an X-Wing fan, a Star Wars spaceship fan, a Star Wars space battles fan, a light sabre duels fan, a little man giving it to the big man in the Star Wars Universe fan and so on. All of those aspects got a raw deal.

1 hour ago, c-cat114 said:
  Hide contents

Haven't seen anyone mention it but Lando asking the ex stormtrooper if she wanted to see the galaxy and find where she was from was creepy as ugh. Almost single handedly made me not want yo see him in any repeat viewings. 

Big thread- it has been mentioned several times. Side effect of missing scenes or dialogue about his own family.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Rudderless said:

TROS spoilers:

Hide contents

(As a side note, one of my biggest disappointments with TROS is that they have a perfect way to connect the ending of that film with the ending of TLJ. The broom kid, the Rebellion insignia, that line about being "the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order down" - you make an explicit connection between that and the cavalry that shows up at the death and it immediately solves the whole "where the fuck did they come from?" problem many had with that bit.)

Spoiler

The cavalry bit is somewhat set up in the book, Resistance Reborn, although the size of the fleet that shows up in the film is a bit much. Not sure how Lando managed to round them all up in about 30 mins though. 

47 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I was watching TFA the other day, and the guy she gets sold to gets one whiff of the fact that the FO are looking for a droid and willing to pay, and suddenly the whole planet is after BB8. The guy can't have been looking very hard.

He'd also have spotted her if he'd just looked out his rear windu. :hat:

• Upvote 4

The dumb fucks shouldn't have been celebrating so hard at the end.

The muthafucker already survived falling down a long shaft, exploding, then the entire Death Star also exploding and came away with only cataracts and some manky nails to show for it, only offering a non-explanation that would make The Master from Doctor Who do a double take.

• Upvote 6

Unlike the other two films I'm in no rush to see it again sadly apart from a lingering desire to enjoy it more on a repeat viewing.

The thing that chiefly irks me and is likely the point the film really lost my attention.

Spoiler

The Chewie fake out death. It was an utterly gutless and cheap thing to do and I just couldn't stop picking holes from that point on.

It was a genuine surprise and I was suddenly intrigued about where the whole thing might go with Rey, for the approximate 3 minutes it took for them to show him not dead and actually spirited away on a transport that no-one noticed somehow.

• Upvote 3

The really dumb thing about that part...

Well apart from having a super cheat bait and switch fake death in the first place. Was having a scene where they stand around mourning Chewbacca AFTER they already showed he’s fine and well. Why the hell wouldn’t you put that before the reveal and try and then have it as more of a surprise when they find out he’s alive later.

I’d be really interested to read all the chopping and changing that happened to this film as it went along, as I suspect it’s a lot.

• Upvote 1
On 24/12/2019 at 10:03, drmick said:

I don't see how anybody could be satisfied with it, as it's a disservice no matter if you are a Jedi fan, a Sith fan, a Rebellion fan, an Empire fan, a Force/Midichlorian fan, a fan of Star Wars clones/cloning, an X-Wing fan, a Star Wars spaceship fan, a Star Wars space battles fan, a light sabre duels fan, a little man giving it to the big man in the Star Wars Universe fan and so on. All of those aspects got a raw deal.

You see this is the point, right there. I loved Star Wars when I was 8 years old and loved Empire and Jedi as I got older.  And you know what that makes me?  That's right, I'm a 45 year old man.  I'm not a Sith fan, a clones fan - I'm a film fan.  

So why am I not a fan of the Sith, the Rebels, the X-Wing?  Because of George Lucas.  He created the three great films from my childhood, he invented the force, the Rebellion, the X Wing, the Sith.  He made a cohesive narrative that made sense, created a world we hadn't seen before.  He threw in dialogue like "I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors" or "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" without ever explaining what the Kessel Run actually was, or showing us what Toshi station looked like.  This use of language created the illusion of a world outside the movie.  We didn't know what the Kessel Run was, but we knew Han was boasting and we knew ObiWan wasn't impressed by it. That's all that was needed.  The three films were great, and I loved them.

But - George didn't know what the Kessel Run was either, and never anticipated that one day there would be a film that shows it.

When the prequels came along, George Lucas knew there was no way he could keep everyone happy.  If you watch the movie "The People Vs George Lucas" you can see these beardy fans saying stuff like "George Lucas raped my childhood" , just because the prequels were not great movies. I mean, who speaks like that?  George Lucas didn't just make a bad movie, he "raped your childhood".  I mean, calm down, won't you?

Because George realised that the Star Wars universe wasn't as big as people thought it would be.  It needed new ideas. He had created a world with the right amount of content for three movies.  He may have claimed to have a nine movie arc in his head, but did he really?   It's a bit like how, when the creators of Superman sat down that first day and made a character who is utterly invincible apart from exposure to Kryptonite.  How do you make a sequel to Superman, let alone the 7 or so they ended up making, when the main character is utterly invincible? You get a series of films with diminishing returns, ending with Man of Steel, a 3 hour epic of two invincible characters punching each other, again and again as things explode.

So for the prequels, George tried to elaborate on the story he'd made before and came up with new ideas, like Midichlorians - something that you are born with, has a numerical value that can be read with the appropriate equipment and proves if the force is with you or not. That's the point where you realise that none of the prequels were already formed in his mind all along, and George himself is making it up. But he's totally contradicting the existing movies because he has nowhere to go. These films are not part of the original plan. There are three Star Wars films.  

George is critically panned as tries to satisfy everyone and pleases no-one, he sells it to Disney for 40 billion squillion pounds.  He knows, we all know, that there are THREE Star Wars films, they were great, they were part of our childhood, and all those bearded, black-T-Shirt wearing, 45 year old men that take a light sabre to the cinema and wave it about during the film need to fuck right off.  Star Wars was great when we were kids and that is why we still love it.  We are not kids any more, and that's fine, just needs to be noted.

But, Disney know that there's still a market.  These people will eagerly anticipate the new Star Wars film for a year, then they will go and see it and hate every minute, then eagerly anticipate the next one like a battered wife who thinks her husband will change. Disney make more films.  They write new stories.  And that's absolutely fine by me, because they are not aimed at me, and I know these are Disney movies, fan service, action films with the Star Wars name.  But they are just more movies. Just like Jaws had 2, 3 and 4. Like Psycho had 2, 3, 4, 5, the Bates Motel VHS Spin off, the Bates Motel Netflix Series...  These films are not Superman - they are Man of Steel.

On that basis, watch Man of Steel (£1.50 on Bluray at CEX).  Watch Jaws 2 - 4, or Psycho 2 - 37.  Watch the Sony Spidermans.  Then watch Rise of Skywalker.  It's fucking brilliant and it's in a different league to those other farmed out, money hungry sequels.  Daisy Ridley is exceptional.  The Emperor is great.  The fight with the waves is so exciting.  Kylie-Ren - that face! That evil character.  It's beautifully made, great fun to watch.  I don't really care that Lando is in it, whether Luke catches a light sabre or not.  It's none of my business if JJ Abrahams smited Ryan Johnson.  It's how a high budget CGI fest should be done.  By this stage it should be a weary use of the name.  It might be 2 hours of fights and explosions but it's no Die Hard 5 - it's a brilliant 2 hours of fights and explosions and I loved every minute.  There are still only three Star Wars films, but Rise of Skywalker was the most enjoyable cinema experience of the year, and just because it has plot holes and contradicts elements of the original movies doesn't mean anyone raped my childhood.  There are only three Star Wars films. They were great.  Today , I'm a 45 year old man and I thought Rise of Skywalker was a great movie.

• Upvote 8
4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

About that

Hide contents

Was I the only person who saw two transports on the ground before one was destroyed, so he was obviously on the other one?

Plus Chewie flew the Falcon with Lando in the trailer, so we all knew he didn't die.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Rudderless said:

2100 words and that's what you pick up on, ha ha. I dunno, my memory's terrible and I may well have got that wrong. I *vividly* remember watching ROTJ at the cinema (I remember jumping out of my seat when Vader activates his lightsaber while walking alongside Luke) and I know by then I'd seen Star Wars. A bit of digging shows that Star Wars made its UK TV debut on Sunday October 24th 1982 at 7:15pm. So I obviously saw Star Wars then or thereabouts. It's possible I didn't see Empire until after then, I suppose. I'll have to ask my parents if they remember.   

I remember the same.  I saw Star Wars at Christmas on TV, then saw Jedi in the cinema and watched Empire sometime later on VHS.    For this reason Jedi has always been my favourite and while I love Empire now, when I first saw it as a kid it felt a little underwhelming because i already knew the ending.

• Upvote 1

The Emperor is frigging obsessed with planet destroying lasers.

Builds Death Star
Gets blown up
Builds another Death Star but BIGGER
Gets blown up
Builds a Death Star planet
Gets blown up
Builds a massive fleet of Death Star ships
Gets blown up

I bet those weirdos in the stadium seating were beavering away in fitting Death Star lasers to Ewoks next.

I saw this again and actually enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing. It’s still a flawed, messy, three-movie-plots-in-one film - but the performances are ALL great - and really carry a lot of the film further than they realistically should. None of it makes sense or has any logic but alot of the things I liked about TFA were to do with the cast, and that’s also true here.  I would happily watch another film of Rey, Finn and Poe having adventures and stuff as they are so damn entertaining to watch. Sadly that time has passed and it only entrenches my view of TLJ being a massive waste  - mainly because of the way it treated Finn and Poe’s characters.

• Upvote 9
  • Empathy 1

It's a bit like how, when the creators of Superman sat down that first day and made a character who is utterly invincible apart from exposure to Kryptonite.  It's fine for a character, but where's the longevity? How do you make a sequel to Superman, let alone the 7 or so they ended up making, when the main character is utterly invincible? You end up with Man of Steel, a 3 hour epic of two invincible characters punching each other.

No kryptonite in OG Superman (it came from a radio adaptation a few years later). As for 'where's the longevity', I'd suggest that over 80 years of stories suggests there's some mileage in him, even if Snyder doesn't understand the concept one little bit.

(ALL! STAR! SUPERMAN!)

• Upvote 6

Loved this movie. I think Kylo Ren is my favourite Star Wars character ever, by extension Adam Driver in my opinion is the best actor to ever grace a Star Wars movie. I think it wrapped up all the movies nicely. 

I’ve enjoyed all the Disney Star Wars. I’m hoping that any future movies move away from the Skywalker arch or anything directly related to the original trilogy, I want to see something brand new in this universe.

• Upvote 3