rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

To be fair, the effects have been pretty much perfect. ILM did their job well, it’s just the rest of the people involved who didn’t.

• Upvote 2

CGI may produce impressive effects but it doesn't half make for some boring making ofs. Compare the featurettes on something like The Thing to what you get on on the Blu Rays of new films.

• Upvote 1

JJ certainly builds a lot more physical sets, props and creatures than Lucas did for the prequel trilogy, where it’s practical and possible to do so. This was a point of discussion on the Plinkett ‘Revenge Of The Sith’ review, showing Scotty sprinting the full length of a physical hangar set in ‘Into Darkness’ (I think) and Anakin and Mace Windu ambling extremely slowly through a CGI hangar whilst saying they needed to hurry, because in reality they only had a twenty foot room to work in.

5 hours ago, Jammy said:

JJ certainly builds a lot more physical sets, props and creatures than Lucas did for the prequel trilogy, where it’s practical and possible to do so. This was a point of discussion on the Plinkett ‘Revenge Of The Sith’ review, showing Scotty sprinting the full length of a physical hangar set in ‘Into Darkness’

Abrams obsession with characters running around screaming like demented chimps is one of my least favourite parts of his directorial style.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jammy said:

JJ certainly builds a lot more physical sets, props and creatures than Lucas did for the prequel trilogy, where it’s practical and possible to do so. This was a point of discussion on the Plinkett ‘Revenge Of The Sith’ review, showing Scotty sprinting the full length of a physical hangar set in ‘Into Darkness’ (I think) and Anakin and Mace Windu ambling extremely slowly through a CGI hangar whilst saying they needed to hurry, because in reality they only had a twenty foot room to work in.

From memory the two scenes don't really compare...like there wasn't a ticking clock for Mace and Anakin to get to Palpatine, more that they have to deal with him before he gets too entrenched. It wouldn't have made much sense for them to be sprinting down the hallways.

23 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Such was Lucas’ talent...

It just doesn’t make a difference what you use. As long as you use it well.

Finally got round to seeing this today, and whoever compared it to GoT series 8 was spot on.  It’s like the basic plot line itself isn’t particularly an issue and could actually have been good, but by this point they’re just at the point where thy need to get to the ending they’ve decided and are doing so by just throwing what they can at the screen without really spending the time to allow it to connect.  At last for me. There’s still some stuff I enjoyed in there, and I do like (mostly) the characters.  Ridley is great as Rey, ditto Driver and Kylo, and both arch’s could have been so much better.  I like Poe too, but in this Finn is relegated a bit too much for just pining after Rey.  But for everything I liked there was at least something that ranged from kinda dumb to utter bullshit.  Such as;

Spoiler

Palpatine somehow being alive again and it never really being explained how.

Palpatine somehow managing to build the biggest fleet of ships that ever existed by himself on a planet no one knows exists that all have planet destroying lasers on

Palpatine just being all like “oh here you go mothafucka” and raising the entire aforementioned fleet which he’d not only built but somehow buried so he could do a dramatic reveal.  It’s not like he needed to hide them, no one knew he was there.

Palpatine force lightning blasting the entire fucking fleet of ships

Palpatine in general.

Hux being a spy.  Even the reveal is playing like some meta joke about it being a stupid twist for the sake of plot convenience. It’s so underwhelming though and gets brushed off.  Considering his roles in the previous films, Hux gets shat on in this film.

The bluff off killing Chewie.  Yeah like anyone believed that for a second.

The tug of war with the ship just before that.  God that was dumb.

There are probably some I’m forgetting but I think that covers most of them.  Like I said, the basic story line is sound, and could have worked, but this version didn’t for me.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Finally got round to seeing this today, and whoever compared it to GoT series 8 was spot on.

Nah, TROS is some Platinum podium, God tier, S-Rank level fuck up compared to that, or just about anything really. TROS was so bad it stands a breed apart.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Abrams obsession with characters running around screaming like demented chimps is one of my least favourite parts of his directorial style.

Or "dialogue" as we used to call it.

Even now, i'm still at a loss as to why Rey and Finn were an item.

His only qualification seemed to be an ability to sort of simper a bit whenever her name was mentioned.  Ray had more emotional connection with Kylo, and Finn was practically drooling over Rose in the second film. What the hell was Finn doing between the films to get her all fired up for him ??? Not once did I buy that they were the love interest in the film. 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Even now, i'm still at a loss as to why Rey and Finn were an item.

His only qualification seemed to be an ability to sort of simper a bit whenever her name was mentioned.  Ray had more emotional connection with Kylo, and Finn was practically drooling over Rose in the second film. What the hell was Finn doing between the films to get her all fired up for him ??? Not once did I buy that they were the love interest in the film. 

They weren't. 

• Upvote 2

As someone already said, Finn mostly seemed to spend RoS shouting peoples’ names

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

He constantly ran around asking where Rey was and was she okay. Did you not see that ?

that doesn't make them "an item" or love interest. Even if you wanted to take Finn asking if Rey was ok as an indicator of a great love story in the trilogy it is a struggle to maintain it when you see zero reciprocation from Rey and zero actual romance.

Sidewaysbob must be in the camp that guys and girls can't be friends without wanting to fuck each other.

21 hours ago, Delargey said:

Finn was definitely into Rey though.

Yep. There was that 'thing' that he wanted to tell her, but never got the chance. It was brought up again by Poe later on, but it was never really answered/revealed.

A very strangely written set of films. I honestly think I prefer the prequel trilogy. That said I've only managed to (painfully) sit through AotC and RotS once.

25 minutes ago, Fallows said:

A very strangely written set of films. I honestly think I prefer the prequel trilogy. That said I've only managed to (painfully) sit through AotC and RotS once.

I recently watched the prequel trilogy, due to both my lads getting into Star Wars and I definitely prefer it. It’s obviously got a fair few issues, but it works far better as a story. I reckon the latest trilogy will definitely drop down people’s rankings over time.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, JPL said:

I recently watched the prequel trilogy, due to both my lads getting into Star Wars and I definitely prefer it. It’s obviously got a fair few issues, but it works far better as a story. I reckon the latest trilogy will definitely drop down people’s rankings over time.

The prequel and the sequel trilogies are very much opposites in what they have delivered.

One was planned out for years but horribly executed. The other had absolutely no planning but was executed pretty well.

At some point Disney will plan these films out, AND make them well. 

• Upvote 4

On 15/02/2020 at 08:09, Stigweard said:

Sidewaysbob must be in the camp that guys and girls can't be friends without wanting to fuck each other.

Wow, broad sweeping statement there. Anymore hot takes on my personality you feel you can offer up? 

18 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The prequel and the sequel trilogies are very much opposite in what they have delivered.

One was planned out for years but horribly executed. The other had absolutely no planning but was executed pretty well.

At some point Disney will plan these films out, AND make them well. 

Yeah, that’s definitely it. Personally though, no matter how many problems there are with the prequel trilogy, I find the fact it’s got a cohesive narrative running through it a lot better than the disjointed mess of the latest trilogy. Obviously the new ones look better, but I think that’s just about all it’s got going for it.

I’ll be back for the next lot though, because I’m sure they’ll have learnt from this trilogy they actually need a story to go with all those fancy effects.