rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Fair enough, I'd still be intrigued to hear how it would be viewed if someone saw it chronologically but I'm not sure if anyone can avoid some of that known history. 

It was never meant to be viewed that way though, so what's the point? The order in which they were released is the only way that will work, as that's how the films were written. Even machete order doesn't try to do them chronologically and that's bonkers as it is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JPL said:

It was never meant to be viewed that way though, so what's the point? The order in which they were released is the only way that will work, as that's how the films were written. Even machete order doesn't try to do them chronologically and that's bonkers as it is.

Jesus you're difficult sometimes jpl, it was just a wondering aloud moment, as technically, in that they are numbered as they are, it's entirely conceivable that someone might watch them in that order. 

10 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Jesus you're difficult sometimes jpl, it was just a wondering aloud moment, as technically, in that they are numbered as they are, it's entirely conceivable that someone might watch them in that order. 

You don’t need to wonder, it’d be shit watching them in that order. :P

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

You don’t need to wonder, it’d be shit watching them in that order. :P

Well harrybizzle also said he watched them in order, so it wasn't even that strange to ask, or think that someone might do it. 

Even if you might think it would be shit it clearly has happened and probably will happen, so no need to be a dick about it. 

Just now, b00dles said:

Well harrybizzle also said he watched them in order, so it wasn't even that strange to ask, or think that someone might do it. 

Even if you might think it would be shit it clearly has happened and probably will happen, so no need to be a dick about it. 

Alright, chill out! I’m not being a dick by saying it’d be shit watching them in that order, because it would! All the reveals would be spoiled.

My boys watched Episodes VII, VIII, Rogue One and Solo, while having seen bits of the original trilogy back when they were too young to bother, then 4, 5, 6 & 9 (I got bored doing Roman numerals!). That’s probably the most mental order anyone’s ever watched them in, but they’re kids, so they’re not arsed.

Release order is the only sensible way, that’d make any sense really.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

What's machete order?

31 minutes ago, JPL said:

Alright, chill out! I’m not being a dick by saying it’d be shit watching them in that order, because it would! All the reveals would be spoiled.

My boys watched Episodes VII, VIII, Rogue One and Solo, while having seen bits of the original trilogy back when they were too young to bother, then 4, 5, 6 & 9 (I got bored doing Roman numerals!). That’s probably the most mental order anyone’s ever watched them in, but they’re kids, so they’re not arsed.

Release order is the only sensible way, that’d make any sense really.

Lol.

You specifically said it would be shit to watch it in the chronological order that harrybizzle said he did in response to me wondering about what it would be like. 

But anyway, we'll agree to disagree and have different opinions on the movies. 

25 minutes ago, b00dles said:

You specifically said it would be shit to watch it in the chronological order that harrybizzle said he did in response to me wondering about what it would be like.

Yeah, I get you. I was just trying to think what it'd be like if you had zero knowledge of Star Wars then watched the whole lot in episode order. It'd be totally broken, because you'd know who Vader is before the reveal in Empire. You'd also know about Leia being Luke's sister. And probably loads of other daft stuff I can't remember. Oh, Vader built C3PO, but has no memory of him by the time we get to the original trilogy.

It'd properly ruin the originals. It would be fun to watch someone go through them in that order though. They'd be utterly baffled.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Thanks for posting that.

This isn't a dig at you, but that machete order is ridiculous.

I think it be best to deal with the elephant in the room, to acknowledge the emporer's new clothes: Star Wars is, and always has been, shite.

And in an occurrence that has to be one in a billion, the two people had the most influence in its creation (Lucas and Abrams) have the collective scientific nous of a potato.

9 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I get you. I was just trying to think what it'd be like if you had zero knowledge of Star Wars then watched the whole lot in episode order. It'd be totally broken, because you'd know who Vader is before the reveal in Empire. You'd also know about Leia being Luke's sister. And probably loads of other daft stuff I can't remember. Oh, Vader built C3PO, but has no memory of him by the time we get to the original trilogy.

CP30 had his memory swiped at the then of Revenge. There would still be tension because although we know the connections the characters don't so you'd be like 'oh no, Luke, she is your sister - don't try to fuck her!'

11 hours ago, Delargey said:

CP30 had his memory swiped at the then of Revenge. There would still be tension because although we know the connections the characters don't so you'd be like 'oh no, Luke, she is your sister - don't try to fuck her!'

Makes that kiss at the start of Empire even more awkward!

• Upvote 1

Jesus, whatever happened to explaining enough in a film so you didn’t need spin offs or post release social media posts to make up for poor scripting or editing.....

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/star-wars-new-movie-j-d-dillard-matt-owen-writing-1202865844/

There's an Exegol film in the works. Not yet clear if it’s for cinema or Disney+. Feels to me like something for the latter. 

I hope it's called Seamstresses of Exegol and focuses entirely on the heartwarming tale of a group of women having to come together and make enough robes for when Rey shows up at the big Sith ceremony.

• Upvote 4

I see Jenny Nicholson has put up a video of her reading through (rather than summarizing) a PDF of the Trevorrow script. I really want to read that myself but I can't listen to an hour and a half of her fairly monotonous tone reading a clunky script - how long until someone transcribes it from her reading, or the PDF leaks to the public?

P.S. I do like her videos by the way, just not for this purpose

On 23/02/2020 at 00:09, Darwock said:

I see Jenny Nicholson has put up a video of her reading through (rather than summarizing) a PDF of the Trevorrow script. I really want to read that myself but I can't listen to an hour and a half of her fairly monotonous tone reading a clunky script - how long until someone transcribes it from her reading, or the PDF leaks to the public?

P.S. I do like her videos by the way, just not for this purpose

The PDF is already out there, isn't it? It was on reddit last week.

You have a link for that? If I google it I just get lots of news articles about the leak:(

That's kinda what the last 90 pages have been talking about...

My hot take is pretty simple: Iger (who @Dirty Harry Potter has now used two different thread to tell us IS OUT!!!! ;) ) probably set far too tight an agenda at one flim per year, rushing stuff into production fo' capitalism yo.

Kathleen Kennedy possibly didn't handle this as well as she might've? Maybe she did - who knows - but not laying down a concrete plan with arcs set in stone led to a DC-style wild ride through creative missteps and narrative mismanagement. All reaction, no preparation.

That might all be bollocks, but it feels close enough to me, based on what we've seen.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

How did they handle the MCU so well and make such a mess of the Star wars universe ?

Because Kevin Feige is good at his job, and Kathleen Kennedy isn't?

Also there's a lot more good Marvel material to draw from, whereas Star Wars has been drawn from the brains of people who failed high school science.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, drmick said:

Because Kevin Feige is good at his job, and Kathleen Kennedy isn't?

Also there's a lot more good Marvel material to draw from, whereas Star Wars has been drawn from the brains of people who failed high school science.

Good point - most, if not all, of the MCU is at least based on arcs from the comics. Disney chose to erase the whole extended universe of Star Wars and have been scrabbling to bring certain characters back  in. I haven’t read a lot of the eu stuff, but I’m sure there are a few good stories there that could have been repurposed not to rely as heavily on the OT heroes as the books did.

Feige is a relatively young, passionate superfan that has built an entertainment juggernaut brick by brick - because he cares deeply about the films he makes.

By comparison Kennedy is like someone's nan running Star Wars. Do any of us really think she gave two shits about the franchise before being offered the job? She proberly hadn't even seen all the films, let alone being aware of anything else the franchise had done. So why was she given the job?

History. That's why. Let me explain. 

Kathleen Kennedy is exactly the kind of Producer you want if you are a superstar director. She has made a career out of making other people look good - by saying yes - when others might have said no. And just got shit done. Consistently. The last person you want in a role like that is one with an ego. You want someone that is essentially great at doing the dirty work - without you even knowing there was dirty work to do. That's why she has such a great track record, because she could anticipate problems and was great at doing her job at the highest level. 

And Lucas had history with her. Alot of history. And maybe this is all his fault in the end. Maybe he was being too clever for his own good, when he sold to Disney with someone in place - that he thought might allow him to rule by proxy. An ally that might keep his voice in the board room.. What he didn't bet on was Kennedy's ambition to do something other than just be seen as the "yes women" of powerful men of Hollywood. She could actually do something important with this opportunity. And as soon as there was the slightest wrinkle in the Disney SW roadmap, she threw Lucas under the corporate bus in an effort to make the franchise her own. And she did what she has always done for all those other powerful men before - for Iger - she said  "yes" to an insanely ambitious project rollout to keep Disney's shareholders happy. Come what may. She would make it work. Just like she always had done. 

And that seemed to work to start with. And how couldn't it. She had gained control of arguably the worlds' biggest entertainment brand - and was making films with top talent, unlimited budgets, and enormous cultural reach. 

It was only when it became clear that there was no creative plan, and that no one was really in charge of the overall vision of the franchise - that everything began to fall apart. Kennedy's decisions in hindsight have been ill judged and show little or no understanding of the thing she is supposed to be running. 

Now look where we are. A trilogy of films that are all over that place and are actually less consistent in tone than most of the novels they replace. And a future for SW that looks brighter on TV, than it does in cinemas. What the actual Fuck.

I don't think Kennedy is an terrible person, or even bad at her job (of producing movies). I just think she is the wrong person to be in control of SW. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jammy said:

Good point - most, if not all, of the MCU is at least based on arcs from the comics. Disney chose to erase the whole extended universe of Star Wars and have been scrabbling to bring certain characters back  in. I haven’t read a lot of the eu stuff, but I’m sure there are a few good stories there that could have been repurposed not to rely as heavily on the OT heroes as the books did.

Ann Crispin's Han Solo trilogy is the perfect back story for Han, Lando, and Chewie. Even Boba Fett makes an appearance. But the film we got is downright insulting in comparison.