rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Ann Crispin's Han Solo trilogy is the perfect back story for Han, Lando, and Chewie. Even Boba Fett makes an appearance. But the film we got is downright insulting in comparison. 

Yeah, that’s one of the few sets I read, along with the Thrawn trilogy. I agree that they should have stuck closer to that story, although I actually liked the performances in Solo and enjoyed the film as a fun heist movie. Never read the Vong invasion stuff.

Confirmed that Palps in the film was his soul in a clone body.

spacer.png

image.jpeg.51a4f5813ff3ab946ec203d945b9d065.jpeg

If I was a Sith Lord I'd make sure to leave my followers instructions that in the event of my 'death' I want them to have a fresh Chris Hemsworth body ready for me instead of a grody old man model.

At least in Dark Empire he had the swagger to come back as a David Bowie looking mofo.

spacer.png

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I wonder if I should re-read Dark Empire. Does it hold up?

Hmm to be honest I enjoyed it way more when I was younger and it felt like “this is what happened next!” 

Now it’s hard to read without thinking about how it compares to the sequel trilogy, Disney buyouts, and internet trolls tbh. 

Remember when films used to have the relevant content acrualky IN them?

• Empathy 1

The dude was literally hooked up to a machine in the middle of a cloning factory.

If someone has a cloning factory, I assume they run it, not is one.

Seems a bit stupid that they can make Snoke clones which are fine to go off and potter around the Galaxy but the most important one, Palpatine can't survive without being plugged in.

But then expecting anything in this stupid movie to make sense is a bit silly.

On 02/03/2020 at 06:39, Festoon said:

Oh no, it’s a MULTIMEDIA experience now, that also means having to visit Florida to go on “The Star Wars Experience” at Disneyland in order to find out why Rey blew up a very similar looking ship to the one with Chewbacca on it....

• Upvote 1

Seems to be a gradual creeping public admission that this film was shit.

Oh, there's another backstory plot element released by Disney. Something about Rey's dad being a failed Palps clone or some shit.

What is the strange things is that usually when a film suffers from a lack of story or character clarity, it’s because the film has had to be edited to get it down to a decent running time. But typically those films would get a Directors Cut with the extra footage added in.

How all this extra storyline is being released makes me think those extra scenes were never filmed, because the original script never had that exposition in it. So instead of a directors cut, we’re finding out these essential storyline pieces through fucking Twitter posts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

So he was her Dad, not her Grandfather?

Man, I don't know. And they don't give a fuck.

3 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

What is the strange things is that usually when a film suffers from a lack of story or character clarity, it’s because the film has had to be edited to get it down to a decent running time. But typically those films would get a Directors Cut with the extra footage added in.

How all this extra storyline is being released makes me think those extra scenes were never filmed, because the original script never had that exposition in it. So instead of a directors cut, we’re finding out these essential storyline pieces through fucking Twitter posts.

They're 'essential' in the sense that essential oils are.

Yeah, they’re not essential at all. The film makes no sense with or without them.

On 05/03/2020 at 08:27, Glasgowchivas said:

So he was her Dad, not her Grandfather?

Either way, Palpatine fucks, which is the only piece of information I’ve retained from the movie.

• Upvote 5

On 6 March 2020 at 03:11, John Edward Gammell said:

I'd to sit through this bollocks, recently. TWICE! 

It had better pacing than Rise of Skywalker and made more sense.

• Upvote 4

Either the new trilogy is a revolutionary Disney plan to make people read more comics and sci-fi novels, or else the comics and sci-fi novels are desperately trying to make a coherent narrative out of the six of nine random movies with little to no connection with each other.

Clue: it’s the last one. Luckily for those that bother, the comics and books are often great.

22 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Either way, Palpatine fucks, which is the only piece of information I’ve retained from the movie.

Somone needs to put those two words in the Star Wars font and make it into a t-short.

• Upvote 1

On 04/03/2020 at 21:23, gone fishin' said:

Oh no, it’s a MULTIMEDIA experience now, that also means having to visit Florida to go on “The Star Wars Experience” at Disneyland in order to find out why Rey blew up a very similar looking ship to the one with Chewbacca on it....

I feel like this was done on purpose but you'd be very lost if you went to Florida to go to Disneyland.

Matrix Reloaded FINALLY showing itself to be the future of Hollywood.

10 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

LTaEj8cm.png

NhJQyldm.png

Those words should have been the first in the crawl instead of 'The dead speak'.

• Upvote 6

This has had an early digital release, and comes with a very good documentary; The Skywalker Legacy. Well worth a watch.

Isn’t the early release just the U.S? I had it pre-ordered on iTunes and it’s still not available.