Jump to content

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I don't even have the energy to go in depth about why I didn't like this film but the least I can say is that I really enjoyed the pizza I ate while I was watching it.

 

It took you two hours and twenty minutes to eat a pizza?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jammy said:

 

 

@Rubber_JohnnyIt’s even worse than that - why bother with a robot containing wormy things, or even with guns attached, when you’re sitting on a hoverbike at an unguarded window you’ve just cut a hole in. Just poke a bloody gun through the hole, shoot her and leg it. The Jedi don’t even sense the danger until the worms are about to kill her, so she’d have got away easily.

 

they could drop a wheely bin from orbit and destroy everything within a 2 mile radius, since sensors / orbital defenses don't seem to exist in starwars

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jammy said:

He ain’t though @Kevvy Metal.They address that in Clone Wars; Obi-Wan mentions him to the Prime Minister of Mandalore and he says something along the lines of “He’s

not a Mandalorian, and I’ve no idea where he got that armour.”

 

That's hilarious. Star Wars constantly coming up with new ways to make the Fetts seem like useless posers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched this. I can understand why a lot of Star Wars fans didn't like it but it was a solid action/buddy movie with lots of great CGI and it rarely paused for breath. I loved the comedy tiny robot expert "thing" Babu Frik. He was awesome.

It was corny as hell but then Star Wars is.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The plot of this is held together by sticky backed plastic and blue tac, but on a second viewing last night, I really enjoyed it. Yes, if you press too hard, it falls to bits, but, opening few minutes aside, this is thoroughly enjoyable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched it last night for the first time since the cinema and I have to say I still really really enjoy it, it's a great adventure romp and sure it goes at a break-neck pace but I love that it covers so much ground and is, quite frankly also completely bananas :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I do genuinely love about this film, and The Last Jedi, is the way they gradually reveal and then cleverly use force abilities that we'd not previously seen. In TLJ it's established that as well as seeing each other and being able to talk over vast distances, Rey and Kylo can actually make physical contact. In this film that contact is an actual duel, and is extended to the environment around them, with objects able to travel from one place to the other. So while neither can see where the other is as they fight, the spilt "cherries" show Rey that Kylo's down on the planet she's just come from, and the broken shards of Vader's helmet show Kylo that Rey's in his quarters on his ship. And in the final battle, both of them use this new ability they've learned together to pass Luke's lightsaber from one to the other. It's a small thing but it's very nicely done.

 

Similarly (but less cleverly) Yoda shows Luke in TLJ that ghosts can still use the force to interact with the physical world, and then in TROS Luke uses this ability to catch his lightsaber and to retrieve his X-Wing.

 

I find these to be much more interesting powers than "running really fast" or "deflect multiple laser bolts from a windmilling lightsaber" that the prequels gave us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darren said:

One thing I do genuinely love about this film, and The Last Jedi, is the way they gradually reveal and then cleverly use force abilities that we'd not previously seen. In TLJ it's established that as well as seeing each other and being able to talk over vast distances, Rey and Kylo can actually make physical contact. In this film that contact is an actual duel, and is extended to the environment around them, with objects able to travel from one place to the other. So while neither can see where the other is as they fight, the spilt "cherries" show Rey that Kylo's down on the planet she's just come from, and the broken shards of Vader's helmet show Kylo that Rey's in his quarters on his ship. And in the final battle, both of them use this new ability they've learned together to pass Luke's lightsaber from one to the other. It's a small thing but it's very nicely done.

 

Similarly (but less cleverly) Yoda shows Luke in TLJ that ghosts can still use the force to interact with the physical world, and then in TROS Luke uses this ability to catch his lightsaber and to retrieve his X-Wing.

 

I find these to be much more interesting powers than "running really fast" or "deflect multiple laser bolts from a windmilling lightsaber" that the prequels gave us.

I totally agree with this. The only one at odds though is the force healing which does rather seem to come out of nowhere. It would have been great for Rey to display a minor example of this (or some kind of foreshadowing of it) in either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It might have loads of stuff like that in, seems Kathleen Kennedy cut loads of really good sounding stuff from the movie included many filmed scenes with Rey and Luke having more developed character moments:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

I totally agree with this. The only one at odds though is the force healing which does rather seem to come out of nowhere. It would have been great for Rey to display a minor example of this (or some kind of foreshadowing of it) in either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi.

 

At least she healed a worm during one of the Desert Level side quests.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

 

At least she healed a worm during one of the Desert Level side quests.

And we all know a certain person who had been in the area beforehand had a track record...

 

 

starwars02.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darren said:

One thing I do genuinely love about this film, and The Last Jedi, is the way they gradually reveal and then cleverly use force abilities that we'd not previously seen. In TLJ it's established that as well as seeing each other and being able to talk over vast distances, Rey and Kylo can actually make physical contact. In this film that contact is an actual duel, and is extended to the environment around them, with objects able to travel from one place to the other. So while neither can see where the other is as they fight, the spilt "cherries" show Rey that Kylo's down on the planet she's just come from, and the broken shards of Vader's helmet show Kylo that Rey's in his quarters on his ship. And in the final battle, both of them use this new ability they've learned together to pass Luke's lightsaber from one to the other. It's a small thing but it's very nicely done.

 

Similarly (but less cleverly) Yoda shows Luke in TLJ that ghosts can still use the force to interact with the physical world, and then in TROS Luke uses this ability to catch his lightsaber and to retrieve his X-Wing.

 

I find these to be much more interesting powers than "running really fast" or "deflect multiple laser bolts from a windmilling lightsaber" that the prequels gave us.

The bolded bit is perhaps my favourite part of the film. It's really well done and a proper fuck you to the Emperor in front of her. I also love Kylo's little shrug and hand gesture that he does before going on to murder all those dudes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, APM said:

The bolded bit is perhaps my favourite part of the film. It's really well done and a proper fuck you to the Emperor in front of her. I also love Kylo's little shrug and hand gesture that he does before going on to murder all those dudes. 


Yep, that was brilliant. Adam Driver is so great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Increasingly omnipotent Force powers are stupid. It's a universe killing development. They mean we are not going to get any future* Star Wars shows any time soon.

 

* set after Rise of Palpatine Jr Jr

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I totally agree with this. The only one at odds though is the force healing which does rather seem to come out of nowhere. It would have been great for Rey to display a minor example of this (or some kind of foreshadowing of it) in either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi.


Mandalorian spoiler.

 

Spoiler

This won’t have helped anyone in the UK, but in the US (and other markets that had Disney+ at the time) force healing was demonstrated by ‘The Child’ in the episode that was released a few days before TROS hit the cinema. So there was some intentional foreshadowing, even if it was clumsily done and not actually available to a huge portion of the worldwide audience.

 

This is not quite as bad as the Galactic message referenced by the opening crawl (The Dead Speak!) only being audible to people who were playing Fortnite at the right time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, drmick said:

Increasingly omnipotent Force powers are stupid. It's a universe killing development. They mean we are not going to get any future* Star Wars shows any time soon.

 

* set after Rise of Palpatine Jr Jr

 

Remember when it was all a bit of floating and lightning? Just how many fans sat at home staring at a can of pop, trying to make it float... now its all super duper beams and phenomenal cosmic power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, APM said:

The bolded bit is perhaps my favourite part of the film. It's really well done and a proper fuck you to the Emperor in front of her. I also love Kylo's little shrug and hand gesture that he does before going on to murder all those dudes. 


I think that was my favourite callback as it was nice and subtle, but also actually served a function for once, showing us we were now looking at Ben Solo.


90877C11-4F5B-4974-ADC6-3D9418517915.thumb.jpeg.31dd23af8ce06ddcf0bdd9fd66420c6a.jpeg
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

This is not quite as bad as the Galactic message referenced by the opening crawl (The Dead Speak!) only being audible to people who were playing Fortnite at the right time. 

 

What

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I love that 'oh shit she's in my fucking bedroom' moment. Everything with Rey and Kylo is so good.

 

Don't look in my sock drawer!

 

7ee64585-4b1f-4a99-b3d7-68ecac0ffd0b-640-360.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gigawatt said:


Mandalorian spoiler.

 

  Hide contents

This won’t have helped anyone in the UK, but in the US (and other markets that had Disney+ at the time) force healing was demonstrated by ‘The Child’ in the episode that was released a few days before TROS hit the cinema. So there was some intentional foreshadowing, even if it was clumsily done and not actually available to a huge portion of the worldwide audience.

 

This is not quite as bad as the Galactic message referenced by the opening crawl (The Dead Speak!) only being audible to people who were playing Fortnite at the right time. 

 


Force healing is a pretty tame ability.

 

Maybe I’m dumb but I always assumed the force could do basic shit like that.

 

Our bodies in the real world have healing ability so it makes sense for these super force humans to be able to do it in an enhanced rate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, drmick said:

Increasingly omnipotent Force powers are stupid. It's a universe killing development. They mean we are not going to get any future* Star Wars shows any time soon.

 

* set after Rise of Palpatine Jr Jr

 

I too am annoyed at the decline of realism in Magic Space Wizards 9.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gigawatt said:


Mandalorian spoiler.

 

  Hide contents

This won’t have helped anyone in the UK, but in the US (and other markets that had Disney+ at the time) force healing was demonstrated by ‘The Child’ in the episode that was released a few days before TROS hit the cinema. So there was some intentional foreshadowing, even if it was clumsily done and not actually available to a huge portion of the worldwide audience.

 

This is not quite as bad as the Galactic message referenced by the opening crawl (The Dead Speak!) only being audible to people who were playing Fortnite at the right time. 

 

Id actually like to see more Rey films/shows (as long as they were planned out and overseen by a show runner). The big question left is...

Spoiler

The child would still only have been very young during the Sequel Trilogy. Which makes him a great candidate to be Rey's first apprentice...  Unless he's dead :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have always been mega force powers seen in Star Wars before Disney got their hands on the franchise.  Bastila's Battle Meditation?  Darth Plagueis prolonging life?

 

Personally, I like the introduction of different ways of using/exploiting the force beside deflecting blaster bolts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely, since the Force binds everything in the universe, it's like the code Neo manipulates in the Matrix?

 

Completely flexible, and capable of basically doing anything. Hence somehow persuasion and fucking lightning hands are manifestations.

 

I know I wouldn't just use it for baton-twirling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Surely, since the Force binds everything in the universe, it's like the code Neo manipulates in the Matrix?

 

Completely flexible, and capable of basically doing anything. Hence somehow persuasion and fucking lightning hands are manifestations.

 

I know I wouldn't just use it for baton-twirling.

 

But midi-chlorians are only present in the cells of living things... (I'm well aware that Lucas pulled the whole midi-chlorian thing out of his arse)... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.