Dead Cells - multiplatform "rogueVania" - come for the wall chicken, stay for the baguettes

Cyhwuhx

I'm too rubbish to do the daily challenges :D With the ram rune, I discovered the Ancient Sewers! Didn't quite get to the end, man those turtles caught me by surprise. What's weird is that each time I've got to the clock tower and the clock guy I've walked it. I need to figure out how to climb tall walls, there are so many goodies out of reach.

Silly question - what's 3BC?

3 Boss Cells, referrring to the difficulty level. You receive a boss cell for beating the HotK, then adding these boots cells to that horizontal glass cylinder you see right at the very start of a run (or removing them) changes the difficulty.

0BC = Normal

1BC = Hard

2BC = Very Hard

3BC = Expert

4BC = Nightmare

5BC = Hell

Oh I didn't even think to change that. Is it worth upping the difficulty if you haven't completed it on normal yet? I assume the rewards are better.

On normal, and when not distracted, I'm routinely getting to the level after the clock boss. I haven't quite got the knack of those big guards who spin.

You know the blacksmith that ups the droprates after defeating a boss? He gets more bars to fill out as you up the BC count.

PS

Spoiler

This is also why you can break the door after the Collector instead of force-spending your Cells. :ph34r:

14 hours ago, TehStu said:

Oh I didn't even think to change that. Is it worth upping the difficulty if you haven't completed it on normal yet? I assume the rewards are better.

On normal, and when not distracted, I'm routinely getting to the level after the clock boss. I haven't quite got the knack of those big guards who spin.

What Cyhwuhx said. That said, you only get a Boss Cell once upon completion of each difficulty level, so it's not possible to increase the difficulty without having completed the difficulty that you're playing on. Once you have one or more Boss Cells collected, when you pass that cylinder thing you'll get a prompt to interact with it which allows you to add or remove Boss Cells as needed.

As for the level you're on, I tend to use skills/traps to deal with those spinning guys. The worst ones are the guys that do the ground pound and lunging attacks. The ground pound can be avoided easily enough, but that lunge attack catches me out frequently, especially if you get caught out in a corridor where you can't jump up or down to another platform. Hmm. I wonder if that attack can be parried...

Currently sitting at the Clock Room on 3BC with 60% health (Explosive Crossbow, Wolf Traps, Giant's Whistle) and wondering if I want to risk the battle without using a flask (since there's bugger all time to heal during that fight) or use the flask when I could save it for High Peak Castle or the HotK. The last time I tried this fight with full health, I got absolutely wasted but that time I was going with a Brutality build and had no Wolf Traps, so in theory I should do better this time. He says. If I manage it, it'll be the first time I've reached the castle on 3BC so I expect to die horribly there even if I do make it past the next boss lol.

EDIT: Had to chug a health flask during that boss fight and then a second one during High Peak Castle, but I'm at the HotK with full health, two health flasks in reserve, plus a proper Tactics builds (replaced the Giant's Whistle that was doing fuck all damage with Wings of the Crow). 26 scrolls in Tactics, 4-5 scrolls each for Brutality and Survival. If I can use Wings of the Crow to stay out of the way of the HotK's attacks, I've got a good chance but I ballsed up countless good chances on 2BC in the past, so I'm fully expecting this to end in failure lol. :)

So, I managed to clear 3BC but only because in a moment of a weakness (well, several moments it would seem), I used the save-scum method on the Giant a few times (because I suck at that boss) and then once or twice on the HotK, which means I have very mixed feelings about this "achievement". Yeah, I still had to be able to beat them but the game is a lot easier if you can just re-do bosses until you can get past them so I'm not proud*.

Anyway, so to take my mind off the method by which I achieved my 3BC victory, I slapped on 4BC and went straight back in. Going Brutality with the Katana (my favourite Brutality main weapon), I managed to survive all the way up to Stilt Village where my slightly suicidal method kicked off one too many mobs and I got clobbered by a new enemy that only shows up from 4BC difficulty onwards (plus the Rampager and the other guys I was trying and failing to dodge but nevermind mind those guys). Not bad for a first attempt anyway, and now I can dump more cells in the Forge to get my chance of S ranked weapons up to 100% (a mere 4700 cells left to go...)

* I do think that having a way of trying bosses with different load-outs for different builds (at varying difficulties, with the assumption that you get the maximum scrolls available by the boss in question) would be a nice feature, but at the same time implementation would be a ball-ache because you would need some way of determining which scrolls went into which stats, plus how would you account for amulets? Still, one can wish, because I can't see myself beating Conjunctivius without taking damage any time soon. The videos make it look easy, but even on 0BC/Normal, those tentacles are an arse to deal with.

• 6 months later...

New update is out for both PC and consoles, overview is:

• Training room - hone your skills against all the mobs and bosses you've seen
  • Aspects - extremely strong powers to make your run easier (but you can't win the next Boss Cell if you beat the game)
  • World map - see the paths you can take through the island
  • When you pick up a scroll you can see the change to your overall damage for each colour
  • Multi-binding moved to Custom Mode
  • Lots of smaller quality-of-life changes

Can read the full patch notes here

I started this up again for the first time in a while and I'm hoping these new 'aspects' might help push me over the finish line (sigh). I just had something really strange happen in that the first 30 kill streak door I reached was open, despite me losing my streak? Is that something new to make life easier, or a bug?

Btw, the warp stones taking you out of the room you're in makes more sense, a good change. I haven't noticed any others so far.

• 4 weeks later...