Dead Cells - multiplatform "rogueVania" - come for the wall chicken, stay for the baguettes

Cyhwuhx

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I was put off by this when I saw that it was a roguelike, but with those scores I'm suddenly interested again. Does the FPS hold up on the Switch? From the videos it looks like there's a lot happening on screen all at once.

There’s a weird stuttering thing at times where it skips out like a quarter of a second, but it’s rare, and the game is so good I wouldn’t be put off by it. 

I bought this on early access ages ago but held off playing because it seemed pretty special and I wanted to get the full experience. Excited to see it's almost done and living up to the promise! 

Well this is weird, looks like the huge site IGN has plagiarised their Dead Cells review from Boomstick Gaming. IGN has taken down their review while they investigate. Can watch the Boomstick Gaming reviewer discuss it here:

In the description section of the video, the author has broken down the sections to show how similar they are, can view it here, put it in spoiler tags as its quite long:

Spoiler

00:03 MYSELF: Dead Cells takes the progression of a metroidvania and integrates it into this procedurally generated action rogue lite…
00:04 FILIP: It takes the progression system of a metroidvania and transforms it into a procedurally generated action rogue lite…

00:15 MYSELF: In Dead Cells you will need to kill your way through a labyrinth of levels all punctuated by boss encounters that starts off quite linear but the more you play the more routes and game mechanics open up to you. You might not be able to make it to the final boss on your current run but if you can manage to salvage some blueprints for some new gear or better yet, a ability altering rune, it makes it all worth your while….
00:25 FILIP: In Dead Cells you fight your way through a ever changing labyrinth of levels with branching paths, your almost guaranteed not to make it all the way through on every run, but as your efforts lead you to blueprints that unlocked new gear, it makes it all worth your while….

01:22 MYSELF: In most games of this genres your coolest skills and spells are often set to stricky long recharge timers or a limited mana system but in Dead Cells, your abilities have incredibly quick recharges and allow you to seamlessly integrate these gadgets in normal encounters and doesn’t make you feel penalized for using your cool stuff. This combat system is fast, fluid, responsive and one of the most rewarding representation of 2d combat of the entire genre.
01:35 FILIP: Most games limit your most useful skills with longcool down timers or a limited mana system but Dead Cells encourages you to use your deadliest gadgets with a fast recharge timer. It never punishes you using your best tactics. Fights are fast, fluid, responsive and hands down one of the most gratifying representations of video combat iv ever experienced.  

02:30 MYSELF: Dead Cells only falters slightly with some repetition setting in, especially on the early areas and during longer play sessions. The enemy designs here are interesting and fun to fight but in the first level alone you will probably have killed the same enemy about 50 times already and that same enemy will be used throughout various levels.
02:30 FILIP: Dead Cells does falter slightly with some repetition but its only felt in its earlier areas and during extended play sessions. While early level enemies are a good introduction and make for fun and interesting fights early on, you can only kill so many zombies before it starts feeling a little stale. 

03:07 MYSELF: Dead Cells figures out and intriguing way to have your rogue lite and metroidvania experience all in one by focusing on your failures and urging you to try something new the next time.
03:07 FILIP: Dead Cells strikes a perfect and engaging balance between the metroidvania and rogue lite experiences by focusing on your failures and urging you to experiment when you do fail.

2 minutes ago, K said:

It’s a bummer that the Vita never took off, it’d be perfect for games like this. 

Indeed. I was probably one of the few persons to use the cross-save for Rogue Legacy heavily for PS4/PSV. Main reason why I opted for the Switch version for this.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Indeed. I was probably one of the few persons to use the cross-save for Rogue Legacy heavily for PS4/PSV. Main reason why I opted for the Switch version for this.

Yeah. In a perfect world, my Vita would have this, Hyper Light Drifter, and I dunno, Butcher on it. I can't really justify buying a Switch at the moment.

This is good stuff. I don't think it's life changing but it's quite a bit better than, say, Wizard of Legend (which it most reminds me of) and I much prefer it to Gungeon. The gameplay (and unlock structure, really) rather reminds me of Flinthook, for those who played that. There are some permanent upgrades, some unlockable starting equipment upgrades/bigger pools, and then various unlockable drops. It feels very generous.

I just got to something like stage 2-3 and had a beast of a build (gold electric whip) but gambled foolishly on a cursed chest when I really didn't need to. I won't be sitting there playing for hours and hours but for a few runs every day or two, it's probably A+/S tier in the genre. 

14 minutes ago, Junker said:

I’m either going for this, Celeste or Iconoclasts next, just can’t make up my mind!

I've not played Iconoclasts but I'd put Celeste at least another tier above Dead Cells, albeit in a different genre.

I'd say if this is an A+ for roguelite fans, it's an A overall, whereas Celeste is S+ for platform fans and probably S+ overall.

Dont ask me to explain my system. 

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Surprised not to see more chat about this one. Surely it ain't DOA?

It only came out this morning. I've been playing it all day but I've been on leave. I expect most people to not have booted it up until a little while ago.

I really, really like it so far, not having much experience with Rogue games outside of Legacy. That daily challenge is tough but I guess that's the way with these sorts of things?

Ive had some great weapons - the ice blast with a broadsword was making short work of the tough enemies in the stilted village.

1 hour ago, friedgold said:

This is absolutely brilliant. The fluidity and heft to the movement and attacks is something else.

Yes. I'm really enjoying the control and feel of it.

I've played a good few hours today. Not got very far, but it's been good fun.

On 07/08/2018 at 05:47, grounded_dreams said:

Well this is weird, looks like the huge site IGN has plagiarised their Dead Cells review from Boomstick Gaming. IGN has taken down their review while they investigate. Can watch the Boomstick Gaming reviewer discuss it here:

In the description section of the video, the author has broken down the sections to show how similar they are, can view it here, put it in spoiler tags as its quite long:

Reveal hidden contents

00:03 MYSELF: Dead Cells takes the progression of a metroidvania and integrates it into this procedurally generated action rogue lite…
00:04 FILIP: It takes the progression system of a metroidvania and transforms it into a procedurally generated action rogue lite…

00:15 MYSELF: In Dead Cells you will need to kill your way through a labyrinth of levels all punctuated by boss encounters that starts off quite linear but the more you play the more routes and game mechanics open up to you. You might not be able to make it to the final boss on your current run but if you can manage to salvage some blueprints for some new gear or better yet, a ability altering rune, it makes it all worth your while….
00:25 FILIP: In Dead Cells you fight your way through a ever changing labyrinth of levels with branching paths, your almost guaranteed not to make it all the way through on every run, but as your efforts lead you to blueprints that unlocked new gear, it makes it all worth your while….

01:22 MYSELF: In most games of this genres your coolest skills and spells are often set to stricky long recharge timers or a limited mana system but in Dead Cells, your abilities have incredibly quick recharges and allow you to seamlessly integrate these gadgets in normal encounters and doesn’t make you feel penalized for using your cool stuff. This combat system is fast, fluid, responsive and one of the most rewarding representation of 2d combat of the entire genre.
01:35 FILIP: Most games limit your most useful skills with longcool down timers or a limited mana system but Dead Cells encourages you to use your deadliest gadgets with a fast recharge timer. It never punishes you using your best tactics. Fights are fast, fluid, responsive and hands down one of the most gratifying representations of video combat iv ever experienced.  

02:30 MYSELF: Dead Cells only falters slightly with some repetition setting in, especially on the early areas and during longer play sessions. The enemy designs here are interesting and fun to fight but in the first level alone you will probably have killed the same enemy about 50 times already and that same enemy will be used throughout various levels.
02:30 FILIP: Dead Cells does falter slightly with some repetition but its only felt in its earlier areas and during extended play sessions. While early level enemies are a good introduction and make for fun and interesting fights early on, you can only kill so many zombies before it starts feeling a little stale. 

03:07 MYSELF: Dead Cells figures out and intriguing way to have your rogue lite and metroidvania experience all in one by focusing on your failures and urging you to try something new the next time.
03:07 FILIP: Dead Cells strikes a perfect and engaging balance between the metroidvania and rogue lite experiences by focusing on your failures and urging you to experiment when you do fail.

The reviewer in question has been fired by IGN and they're re-reviewing the game in the next week. 

This game is so good!  Played it for about 2 hours last night.

First 5 or 6 times I played it, I kept walking up to those green little slimeballs on the floor tickling them with the R button thinking it was going to be a secret.  Then I unlocked the ability to grow those things into vines, giving me access a completely new level/branch.  Loving the slow progression of getting better and more powerful with every try.  So satisfying.

One thing though - I am dreading the thought of getting to much later levels only to die by a rockhard boss and having to start from the beginning again.

Also, here's a quick tip - there are some timed doors letting you access what's behind them only if you kind of speedrun your way to them.

On 07/08/2018 at 05:47, grounded_dreams said:

Wow, it's almost as if they're reviewing the same game!