Dead Cells - multiplatform "rogueVania" - come for the wall chicken, stay for the baguettes

Cyhwuhx

Also, back on track: this is more a "deckbuilder" than Rogue Legacy is. :) You're basically opening the odds of getting cool stuff with unlocks rather than getting permanent upgrades (even though those are available). The dodging and hitting has a definite Bloodborne tinge to it, but the Castlevania comparisons are pretty flat for now. Apart from doors and wall-chicken it's not as CV-ish. In terms of Metroid, it's definitely more Fusion than anything else, but it goes about it smartly, repeatedly dangling stuff in front of you which then becomes part of the random template if you unlock it. Very nice.

Also, the One More Go(TM) is very strong with this one. :D

End game:

Spoiler

Once you beat the final boss there are 3 more difficulty tiers with remixed enemy placement and (I think) better chance of high level items. It's basically the same though. The devs have already said there will be a fairly substantial free update after launch too.

The game encourages you to keep moving but you can play slowly if you want. There are a few exceptions but most enemies won't attack you until you're on the same platform. A tactics build also allows you to use traps while keeping out of harms way yourself. 

I like the sneaky little secret rooms that...

Spoiler

...have a teeny little platform in the middle of, suspended over a lake of lava. If you miss your jump in/out to get the loot, it is _juuust_ too high to get back on...leaving you to die.

Slowly.

1 HP at a time. 

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Bloody hate those enemies in the second area when they start to get bubble shields. Is there an easy way to kill them, or is it a matter of waiting until the shields go off?

Spoiler

There's a training dummy you need to destroy. Once destroyed the shields will disappear.

Other than the brief window you get when you take damage to hit back and some lost health, I don't really understand the comparison to Bloodborne. Do people think Rogue Legacy is like Bloodborne too? Dead Cells doesn't remind me of it at all. 

1 minute ago, Radish said:

Other than the brief window you get when you take damage to hit back and some lost health, I don't really understand the comparison to Bloodborne. Do people think Rogue Legacy is like Bloodborne too? Dead Cells doesn't remind me of it at all. 

No not directly, but if Rogue Legacy is slow, this is faster. Combined with the Souls-y mechanics it's just evocative of it. It's not 2D Bloodborne.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

The feel of the roll dodge, parry and how the weapons attack made it feel like a 2d Bloodborne to me.

This is great, had a run where I got a

Spoiler

quick bow that left a trail of fire under every shot and tactics things that did 100% damage to burning enemies

and just ripped through to about 3 stages further than I'd got before. It does a really good job of feeling tight but also fluid, and the animation's nice but it's still very responsive. Feel of the double bow and how often it lets you use your traps are both really enjoyable

This is damn good, only concern is that it might be a bit repetitive on repeat runs but I imagine when you're improving your starter gear you can just zip through the opening levels whilst still having to be careful due to low health.

I had one run which almost felt like cheating:

Got a ridiculously overpowered trap which just decimated everything.

1 minute ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Such concern. 

I'm really enjoying this. I think the controls are too complicated though. And it's not comfortable to play portable on the attached joycons. 

On the Joycons the D-pad is just horrible (npi) and I revert to the stick; much better for accessing L/ZL. The Pro Controller is much better and actually shaved off some time for you-know-what. May actually switch to a PS4 controller with the 8-bitdo USB receiver.

Wonder if anyone can help with this issue I am having with the game. For some reason when I click on the Options button on my OG PS4 , the screen that appears is cropped and has shifted to the left, to the extent I can not fully read the weapon details, and the whole screen seems to have zoomed in.
When ingame everything is fine.
As you can see in the below images.

https://imgur.com/a/PERPSNk

I've gone through the TV ratio details and it adjusts the size of the screen but can still see that its zoomed in and pushed across, so the same problem is there. I've also tried playing around with the PS4 Display Area Settings, which hasn't resolved this issue with, made the border size way smaller and larger.
I have closed / re-launched the game, rebooted the kit and I am on the latest patch. Turned the TV on / off, checked the cabling etc

Any help or suggestions?

22 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Wonder if anyone can help with this issue I am having with the game. For some reason when I click on the Options button on my OG PS4 , the screen that appears is cropped and has shifted to the left, to the extent I can not fully read the weapon details, and the whole screen seems to have zoomed in.
When ingame everything is fine.
As you can see in the below images.

https://imgur.com/a/PERPSNk

I've gone through the TV ratio details and it adjusts the size of the screen but can still see that its zoomed in and pushed across, so the same problem is there. I've also tried playing around with the PS4 Display Area Settings, which hasn't resolved this issue with, made the border size way smaller and larger.
I have closed / re-launched the game, rebooted the kit and I am on the latest patch. Turned the TV on / off, checked the cabling etc

Any help or suggestions?

Turn off overscan on the TV.