Dead Cells - Out now! - The Dark Souls of Rogue-lite/Rogue Legacy-like metroidvania-ishes

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Question: what's the deal with the wooden doors you can bang on with the dots on? Sometimes there's someone inside who will give me something, but most of the time there's no one home. Do the dots correspond to anything? I've also found some guy behind bars in the Toxic Sewers a couple of times wanting me to find his friend but I've never found him. Not sure what that's about either.

Spoiler

They're doors that can only be opened on higher difficulties. When you beat the final boss you get a stem cell. Back in the room where you respawn, you can activate this and then play the game on the 2nd difficulty level. With this active you can now go through the 1-cell doors. When you beat the final boss on this difficulty you get another stem cell, can raise the difficulty again, and now you can go through 2-cell doors. And so on.

• Upvote 1

Just beat the Conceirge! Third attempt. It was pretty touch and go but he fell to the might of my sinew slicers. Onwards!

Should I concentrate on carrying on the 'main' path or shall I try to get more of the upgrade runes? I still haven't got what I'm guessing are a ground pound-type move and a wall jump of some description.

And are the timed gates worth it? I've only opened one of them, and while it was nice to get all the stuff inside, it meant that I'd run past all the scrolls so I was quite weak for the next area with only the base 100HP.

I'd go for the runes personally, simply because they'll open up areas to loot for cells and kit in most levels you pass through, and I think upgrade scrolls also have a chance of being behind these areas. It should make each run more productive, and give you a better choice of kit.

I've not played much since the mechanic changed*, but the timed gates were definitely worth it if you're after cells. The balance was always a little off, so the first one was the hardest to hit, but after that they got easier. However, since they moved the doors to the area between levels I guess all the timings have changed too, so I'm not sure now. On the first level I'd generally take stock of my situation before moving on. If I'd got a couple of scrolls I'd probably go for the timed door, if not I'd abandon the timed door, and then try to get a bit more out of the level (and if I could do that quickly then maybe keep it brief and try for the next timed door instead, otherwise I'd just abandon them all and go about rinsing each level instead).

*The timed doors used to be found in the next level, and because it's procedural it was unpredictable. So if you finished level 1 in 1.45 sometimes that would be plenty to get to the 2 minute door, other times it was nowhere near enough.

• Upvote 1

I'm still playing this every now and again when I get a bit of time on the Switch. I get the feeling, however, that if I'm ever going to see the credits then it's a game I'm going to have to properly commit to as opposed to playing here and there, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

Today I got as far as the second boss on a run that had taken me almost 40 minutes, only for him to dismantle me in about 30 seconds flat. There was so much happening on the screen during the battle that I didn't really have a clue what was going on, and the next moment I was dead. I got booted back to the start area and instead of feeling compelled to jump straight back in for another go, I just thought 'Sod that' and turned it off. The prospect of spending another 40 minutes getting back to the same point did not appeal at all.

I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer and try to get some more of the upgrade runes, as I still only have two, but at the moment I just find each area a bit too long to be constantly replaying. Having to battle the Conceirge and spend ages whittling away his health bar each time is an especial pain in the arse.

• Upvote 1

Before the "update" wolf traps and the bi-directional turret worked for me against the Concierge (although I used to skew my playstyle heavily toward these and use the majority of upgrade scrolls to boost them). The wolf traps were key - they'll stop his lunge attack, and him traipsing about with a forcefield on. This used to work quite well against the Time Keeper too - the turret soaked up a lot of the projectiles, and the traps made him much less mobile. No idea if the rebalance has changed this. The problem with this approach back then was that it was hopeless against the final boss, so I switched to grenades instead. If it still works though it might be of use to see more of the game, and gain cells to improve your item drops etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone's on the fence about this concerning roguelite + difficulty, the new balance makes this a far more enjoyable romp. The instant gratification after finishing a level within a certain time instead of hunting for timed doors is infinitely better and can even make disastrous runs feel rewarding. Also enemies don't ramp up to insane difficulties anymore, making stuff post-Concierge a lot more palatable. The Concierge itself is also retuned a bit.

So yeah, give this another look, or jump in fresh. Perfect time to do so. :)

• Upvote 3

Had a go last night (streaming from Xbox One X to PC to cross threads - it's particularly grim for this game though so I don't know why I did), and it felt a bit weird to be honest. For some reason I was expecting the timed door to be at the start of the next level rather than in the interlude but that was kind of a nice surprise, as was realising there was a second door for me having killed x enemies without damage or whatever it was (I didn't), but then the mutations will take some getting used to given I always had an initial couple of go-to's that suited my play style (shortening cooldowns) and this whole aspect of the game has now completely changed to be far more active, not sure how I'm going to get on with that really. 

53 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve been unable to get past the second stage so news theyve effectively made the game easier is Good News!

I couldn't get past the second stage last night, went via the Toxic Sewers both times and those slugs that leave bombs on death seemed a lot more actively vicious than I remember. 

So far the difficulty is much lower imo. My first new run resulted in meeting up with ROTK for the first time! (Failed at around 30% health left.) Subsequent runs always ended at the second boss, which before the patch I only reached once. So there. :P

I found the worms to be much better now tbh.

Me too! I'd had my eye on this for a while, but heard the Switch port was apparently a little rough, and the price was a little much for that, so hearing news of the update I bought it on Monday. Ice Crossbow + Assassin's dagger, and about 15 points in brutality made short work of everything up to and including the final boss!

So I finished my first run last night at about midnight, and the character said something like "I wonder why nothing seems to have changed?" and the game gives you 40 cells, so I thought maybe I need to run through the first level and it'll explain itself on the intermission screen... Nope. So I thought, "maybe it'll explain itself when I die again?" so I just kept going...and err...finished the game a second time, about an hour later. Weirdly, with a better version of the same build - Assassin's dagger with bonus crit damage, Legendary Ice Bow with pierce all (Jesus this is good) and 19 points in brutality...

Anyway, this time I figured out you have to interact with the long horizontal glass tube thing in the starting room to start hard mode. Gulp... Maybe I'll do some hunter's grenade farming first!

So, I managed my first couple of victories in 1BC mode today, and I have to say I'm cooling on this game a fair bit.

It's quite intoxicating at first, but I've found it's settled into a very samey pattern now that I've made some progress into the higher difficulties. The most fundamental problem for me is that when playing on 1BC (or 2BC, from the couple of runs I've made this afternoon), the game is actually hardest in the first few levels, as it's all too easy to get combo'd by multiple enemies, killing you instantly. And because enemies are so much more vicious, there's no incentive to go back to any of the alternative routes once you've picked them clean for blueprints and runes as they have harder enemies but don't reward you with more stat upgrades or better quality loot. They're even harder to meet the timed door requirements too. And strangely, past the stilt village on 1BC, when you've had time to start shaping a good build, the game gets weirdly easy and you're just going through the motions until you finish it, barring any major screw-ups.

So, the other thing is all the weapons I've unlocked. I like...most of them. Some I see when starting a run, and just want to hit restart instead of playing the hand I've been dealt. I know there's a custom mode where I can fiddle with these settings, but I wish in normal mode I could remove the giant hammer and spartan sandals from my loot pool at least. 

But anyway, the oiled sword and the ice shards in a brutal build are utterly ridiculous and melt all bosses and I love it. And the 1.2 update seems to have a bunch of cool new weapons, so I'm excited to try them out. :)

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, skittles said:

Question, are the levels different each time you play or are they the same? I can't remember and having an argument with a friend. 

The level layout is different, but the order of the levels of themselves is the same (depending on the route you take through the branches) so you'll always be in the Prisoner's Quarters first. But it'll be a different map of that level every time. 

I've enjoyed this an awful lot less since the big update, just doesn't seem to suit how I preferred to play it any more so I need to unlearn that and I don't know if I can be arsed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump.

Started playing this again whilst waiting for my friend pedro to download and I took it down on my first run through ! 1hr27min. I can't believe it.

Absolutely gaming win for me tonight. 

I put 35 hours in when it came out and got to the final boss once but then got completely deflated by how easily he whooped me and didn't play it again.

Very happy !

• Upvote 6
  • 2 months later...

Holy mother of...

I'm playing this for the first time now and after a couple of attempts made it to the Black Bridge / Concierge. According to HLTB the average main story run is 14 hours. So, does this mean people play 14 consecutive hours? Because every time you die you start from Prisoners' Quarters. ??!

Every time you play, you'll get "Dead Cells" to put towards blueprints, to unlock weapons. After defeating the Concierge, you'll be able to put cells towards a better percentage of more powerful weapons appearing.

Plus, you natural skills will increase and you'll know the best routes to take and how to beat bosses. So yeah, 14 hours sounds reasonable. I've put in 230 hours so far.

Yeah. :-/