rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dead Cells - Out now! - The Dark Souls of Rogue-lite/Rogue Legacy-like metroidvania-ishes

I gave this a whirl again on the weekend and I think they’ve made it significantly easier because I was able to make it all the way to the castle - I’ve never been able to make it past the concierge before! 

Much more satisfying to play now. 

I gave this a try through Gamepass and got a good week's worth of enjoyment out of it but I think I've had my fill. I could consistently get up to whatever the level is after the second boss (I think the castle) but found it a big difficulty spike and I never felt like I got any better at that level and ultimately can't be bothered replaying the same levels over and over to have another try.

It's a bit of a weird one to me because it feels like the most effective tactic is usually just to avoid engaging in combat altogether or to chuck down some traps and a slicer and wait for the enemies to get killed that way, especially in the latter levels when one enemy attack can decimate your health bar.

It's a solid game overall though, just stopped feeling like I was making much progression after a while.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I gave this a whirl again on the weekend and I think they’ve made it significantly easier because I was able to make it all the way to the castle - I’ve never been able to make it past the concierge before! 

Much more satisfying to play now. 

Are you referring to update 1.3? I usually have my Switch on flight mode as it has poor WiFi in my study. Might update the game then. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Are you referring to update 1.3? I usually have my Switch on flight mode as it has poor WiFi in my study. Might update the game then. 

1.4 according to my Switch. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, oinkster said:

Every time you play, you'll get "Dead Cells" to put towards blueprints, to unlock weapons. After defeating the Concierge, you'll be able to put cells towards a better percentage of more powerful weapons appearing.

Plus, you natural skills will increase and you'll know the best routes to take and how to beat bosses. So yeah, 14 hours sounds reasonable. I've put in 230 hours so far.

Yeah. :-/ 

Just to clarify, do you mean that after you've unlocked all the powerful weapons etc, a successful run then takes 14 hours to complete?  Or is that 14 hours including all the grinding to unlock stuff?

2 hours ago, PK said:

Just to clarify, do you mean that after you've unlocked all the powerful weapons etc, a successful run then takes 14 hours to complete?  Or is that 14 hours including all the grinding to unlock stuff?

I'd like to know that too. Thanks.

I haven't completed it, but there's no way a successful run takes 14hrs. You can run through each level in a few minutes if you're good enough. You can get to the final boss after 14hrs of play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PK said:

Fastest run I've done was about 35 minutes from start to end, on the easiest difficulty. Average run on easiest difficulty is about 45 minutes. I've still not unlocked all weapons after 200 odd hours of play. 14 hours should enable you enough of the weapons and unlock enough of the runes to do a successful run. 

Cheers @oinkster I got a bit confused about what @alex3d was asking / what you were answering.  I won't uninstall it then! 

I love how the game looks, sounds and feels to play but I've been getting a bit frustrated now I'm hitting the Clocktower.  It sounds like I've got some more grinding to do!

Yeah, i was frustrated as hell but it hit the "one more go" itch :-)

I concentrated in using bows and traps (cross o matic and wolf trap), and pumping up the "purple" stat. For mutations I went for combo , support and the one that decreases the spawn time for traps when you kill with ranged items. If you can regularly get past the concierge, save all your cells up till that point and then pump them into the "increase the chances to get ++ items" thing.

• Upvote 1

If it's any help .....

I started a new game on the Xbox, so totally starting from scratch. A video of the Concierge without any fancy stuff here

I cleared this the first time on my 13th attempt, according to the game, but it was a hollow kind of victory since I didnt really connect with the combat and didnt find any of the sections leading up to the final boss particularly difficult. Didnt have much problem other than having to get rid of a curse half way through which ultimately paid off with one of the weapons I kept. I cant remember which one, either the daggers or the legendary crossbow. It was basically about laying down the crossbow trap in the right place and then alternating between mashing the attack buttons up close or jumping around and getting away from AoEs or tough attacks. I thought it was very scrappy, and not very satisfactory to play. I felt like I used brute force, and not much cunning, to finish the game.

I love the aesthetics and overall design, though. Great looking game.

Took me about 1 h 30 mins over two sessions.

10-10-2019_1-15-03_AM-andqvpkj.thumb.png.507827bd20f92ef2f4677be50c6ec314.png

10-10-2019_1-11-25_AM-byrfzk5g.thumb.png.12ea600daf03165f889d6ddbc29b4254.png

• Upvote 1

I really like this but I have two boss cells / am playing on Very Hard and it feels borderline impossible to even get past the 2nd boss now. I used to roll with high melee builds but I think going with a bow of choice, freeze spells and two high level traps is the way forward. I’ve also never seriously tried a shield in my runs either.

I just started playing this on Gamepass and am really enjoying it. I don’t know how long it is but I beat the Concierge on my first run through and had a great time doing it. 

I like how things keep changing on each run through and there seems to be some story exposition.

Run 4: I just beat the matey in the Clocktower. I’m glad there was a little passage section between the clock tower and actually fighting him as after the clocktower I had about 200HP. 

Bit worried about the next bit. Clocktower felt much harder than the previous sections. 

Never played a Rogue type game before but got this for my birthday. Really looked interesting and fresh (at least to me) so thought I'd give it a go, and looked different enough to Bloodstained to make it worth having. VERY much enjoying it so far. Some have criticised the grindy nature of it, but that's the nature of it. The reward of this game is simply in the playing. I'm not brilliant at it but definitely getting better and it hoovers up time like nobodies business. Shockingly addictive, and so easy to just bob on for a "quick go" and end up putting hours in. Did the Concierge for the first time this morning which was fun, have beaten him a couple of times since. The trap things work best on him, especially the turret type ones.

Amazing fun. Headache inducing!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Never played a Rogue type game before but got this for my birthday. Really looked interesting and fresh (at least to me) so thought I'd give it a go, and looked different enough to Bloodstained to make it worth having. VERY much enjoying it so far. Some have criticised the grindy nature of it, but that's the nature of it. The reward of this game is simply in the playing. I'm not brilliant at it but definitely getting better and it hoovers up time like nobodies business. Shockingly addictive, and so easy to just bob on for a "quick go" and end up putting hours in. Did the Concierge for the first time this morning which was fun, have beaten him a couple of times since. The trap things work best on him, especially the turret type ones.

Amazing fun. Headache inducing!

That's me sold. Finally going to get this in the latest sale.

• Upvote 1

It was my first real dip into the genre and became my most played game of 2019. New update on Switch this week!

Bah, the arboretum has those bastard fire hedgehogs that cause damage when hit by melee attacks. Still, nice to have more options early on. More Dead Cells is good Dead Cells.

Does anyone playing this on PC Game pass know if it's possible to have cloud saves? Does PC game pass even have then for any game?

I've been playing quite a lot of this the last few days and want to start unlocking some runes. I've been as far as hand of the king and have the vine rune plus the extra game mode ones you get early on.

I've been reading up on which order to do the biomes in order to unlock stuff but I got really confused. Is there a best order to start unlocking them?

This is a bit good isn't it?

Absolutely loving the look, feel and kinetic combat. I've always considered myself a bit crap at games so I was chuffed to beat the final boss on my 22nd run. Five hours of play notched up.

It was a strange one because I found the Concierge pretty easy once it beat me the first couple of times (just stay back and spam with traps and bombs). Then the Time Keeper owned me and I thought I'd be stuck for a while.

But on the next game I beat the Time Keeper and final boss on the same run through. I was pleased but it felt a bit of an anti-climax. Maybe I got lucky... 

So I'm looking forward to playing more but what's the main motivation? I guess it's about collecting all the trinkets. What's the Boss Cell thing all about that I picked up?

5 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

This is a bit good isn't it?

Absolutely loving the look, feel and kinetic combat. I've always considered myself a bit crap at games so I was chuffed to beat the final boss on my 22nd run. Five hours of play notched up.

It was a strange one because I found the Concierge pretty easy once it beat me the first couple of times (just stay back and spam with traps and bombs). Then the Time Keeper owned me and I thought I'd be stuck for a while.

But on the next game I beat the Time Keeper and final boss on the same run through. I was pleased but it felt a bit of an anti-climax. Maybe I got lucky... 

So I'm looking forward to playing more but what's the main motivation? I guess it's about collecting all the trinkets. What's the Boss Cell thing all about that I picked up?

I've not played it in ages, but the boss cells allow you to up the difficulty level prior to a run (before you enter the door to go again, you can select how many boss cells to use in the middle of the intro area). When I last played the difficulty ramped up massively due to an update (it's why I stopped playing). This also opens all the doors in the background with that number of cells on (all those doors you hammered on, but couldn't get in to).

(I'd like to give this another go, but the updates have been really aggressive, and actually changed a game I enjoyed to one I didn't by tweaking the mechanics on a massive scale. I wonder if it's settled down a little now... )

37 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I've not played it in ages, but the boss cells allow you to up the difficulty level prior to a run (before you enter the door to go again, you can select how many boss cells to use in the middle of the intro area). When I last played the difficulty ramped up massively due to an update (it's why I stopped playing). This also opens all the doors in the background with that number of cells on (all those doors you hammered on, but couldn't get in to).

(I'd like to give this another go, but the updates have been really aggressive, and actually changed a game I enjoyed to one I didn't by tweaking the mechanics on a massive scale. I wonder if it's settled down a little now... )

Thanks. It does strike me as a game that's hard to balance. I can only go on my recent experience but it seemed pitched just right for me. I think once I found a weapon combo that suited my play style and began using them all simultaneously (throwing traps and catapults ahead of me then firing projectiles) I cut through most enemies. I also favour the electric whip which seems to have great range (both vertically and horizontally) and ignores shields. I do think I got a bit lucky with the last boss though. Will be interesting to see how I fare next time.

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

Thanks. It does strike me as a game that's hard to balance. I can only go on my recent experience but it seemed pitched just right for me. I think once I found a weapon combo that suited my play style and began using them all simultaneously (throwing traps and bombs ahead of me then firing projectiles) I cut through most enemies. I do think I got a bit lucky with the last boss though. Will be interesting to see how I fare next time.

When I first played it my strategy was to spam wolf traps and whatever the most aggressive turret was. This worked all the way up to the final boss, where it failed spectacularly. After lots of tries I finally completed it by switching to hot and cold grenades IIRC, having changed my strategy completely. I then played through NG+, fairly easily but got stuck on the next difficulty up. I was close to completing it, I believe.Then a big update occurred and broke everything - the difficulty balancing went out the window and you had to re-read the descriptions of everything you had because most things behaved differently. That's when I gave up. It was a different game, basically.

It's the only game I've stopped playing because it was no longer the game I liked. It may well be a great game now. It may be better than when I first played it. But I put 70+ hours into that bugger the way it was, and I just didn't feel inclined to adapt to the changes it kept imposing. It would be like going back to chess only to find that all the pieces move differently now.

• Empathy 1