Marvel's Black Widow solo movie (Simultaneous cinema/Disney+ Premier Access release, July 2021)

Nick R

• 1 year later...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-widow-to-hit-disney-premier-access-and-theaters-simultaneously

In its biggest pandemic-related streaming move yet, Disney has opted to make Marvel Studios' Black Widow available on Disney+ Premier Access at the same time it hits theaters. Ditto for Cruella, another big-budget tentpole.

Black Widow is now slated for July 9, moving back from its previous May 7 date. It will be available to Disney+ subscribers for an additional $30. The studio previously released Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon for $30 through the Premier Acces tier.

And some changes to other Disney releases:

Disney also announced that Cruella, starring Emma Stone, will debut day and date in theaters and on Disney+ Premier Access on May 28. Meanwhile, the animated film Luca will skip theaters entirely and hit Disney+ June 18.

On Tuesday, Disney also shifted dates for a number of titles, including Marvel's Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, which now opens Sept. 3 and moves back from its previous July 9 date.

Ryan Reynolds' Free Guy now hits three months later on Aug. 13, Matthew Vaughn's The King's Man moves back four months to Dec. 22, Adrian Lyne's Deep Water moves to Jan. 14, 2022, and Kenneth Branach's Death on the Nile shifts back five months to Feb. 11, 2022.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JohnC said:

They shot back window!

Rear windu.

That was a bit lacklustre, wasn't it? The aerial shots sucked any sense of speed or momentum out and that music was just so generic 'action scene music' that it failed to lift it at all.

58 minutes ago, Festoon said:

that music was just so generic 'action scene music' that it failed to lift it at all.

Especially compared to the great stop/start music in Fury's Winter Solder car chase.

Agent J though, goes from being competent to rubbish as soon as Agent K is back on the scene. Strong Agent J vibes. Black widow troubled by someone on a bike? I don’t buy it, not at all!

• 1 month later...

Yeah that was pretty fun. First third reminded me a lot of a Bourne film - the plot, camera work, fighting, chases, locations, even the colour pallete! A few bits stretched credibility even for a Marvel film. Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh had good chemistry I thought.

There was one rather awkward bit of dialogue, be interested to see if anyone else thought this was odd:

Spoiler

Post-fight banter begins after the prison break and Alexei scolds his daughters.

Yelena punches her father in the face.

Alexei says something like "What was that for, are you on your period?!"

Natasha and Yelena go on to explain that they can't have periods, and give a fairly detailed explanation of the FGM they suffered when under the control of the authorities in their journey to become Widows.

Alexei says something like "Eww, too much information kids!"

Post-fight banter resumes.

Just felt like quite an interesting topic sandwiched into some light relief dialogue, it didn't land for me.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Very Mission: Impossible with a couple of great action scenes. The chemistry between Natasha and her sister was fantastic as well. 

Spoiler

That ending sequence though...was ridiculous enough to give the Transformers films a run for their money. 

I thought that this was an absolutely excellent film. Cracking action. On a par with Winter Soldier.

The fact that it was the first cinema visit for me in 18 months may or not be a factor in how much I enjoyed it.

This film just re-inforced how poor the Disney+ shows have been.

The end credits sequence ties into Disney+. In March 2020 that would have got me excited, but 5 episodes into Loki and my expectation is that it/they will also be shit.

3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

That’s… Good. The dismal-to-mediocre  quality of the Disney+ series had put me off trying to see this film. If it is really that decent, I’m making a change of plans.

Take any random 20-40 segment of Black Widow- it will be better than any single episode of the Disney+ series so far.

On 07/07/2021 at 15:14, NickC said:

Yeah that was pretty fun. First third reminded me a lot of a Bourne film - the plot, camera work, fighting, chases, locations, even the colour pallete! A few bits stretched credibility even for a Marvel film. Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh had good chemistry I thought.

I couldn’t have put it better myself. It indulged in the kind of eye-rolling plot contrivances that the best Marvel movies wouldn’t countenance, but it’s terrific fun, Florence Pugh is great as a sardonic Russian and David Harbour brings some welcome light relief as a faded Cold War era superhero past his prime who thinks he can still go toe-to-toe with Captain America. 

Good stuff. And yes - there is a post credits scene, so stick around!

3 hours ago, makkuwata said:

Wow that child actor casting is on point. Up there with the flashback Supergirl episodes.

I thought the bigger one was a boy until a pronoun was used- maybe 5 mins after her/his first appearance!

14 minutes ago, drmick said:

I thought the bigger one was a boy until a pronoun was used- maybe 5 mins after her/his first appearance!

Same. I feel like that was a deliberate choice. The hair colour throws you off at first, but of course her character has a different hairstyle each movie even to the point of them making a targeted gag to that effect in this movie.

But at the time of the early dramatic close up I’d be fooled into thinking Scarlett recorded it 30 years ago.

Looks like we're ponying up £20 to watch this tonight since babysitting is not going to be an option for god knows how long.  Feel like I've been trapped by the "well, it's cheaper than what we'd pay to go to the cinema clause".

Having a chilled night and currently downloading it. Not expecting anything new or mind blowing but looking forward to it.