Marvel's Black Widow solo movie (Simultaneous cinema/Disney+ Premier Access release, July 2021)

Nick R

It was ok, disappointed by the post credit scene though

Spoiler

So her sister escapes from working for shadowy evil organisation number 1 with pantomime villain to just end up working for evil shadowy  organisation number 2 with even more pantomime villain?

Kind of makes me lose sympathy for her sister rather a lot.

1 hour ago, Alask said:

It was ok, disappointed by the post credit scene though

Hide contents

So her sister escapes from working for shadowy evil organisation number 1 with pantomime villain to just end up working for evil shadowy  organisation number 2 with even more pantomime villain?

Kind of makes me lose sympathy for her sister rather a lot.

Well shadowy organisation number 2 isn't "evil" per se, its more doing black ops which the Avengers wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I'm sure along the way she be "good" eventually.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

And no one should discount never seeing any dead Avenger again.

It’s gonna be Multiverse mayhem for the next few years.

In comics, heroes and villains never stay dead. In the MCU its about the paycheck and their age.

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just started black widow. The horrendous plinkety plonk whispery female Smells Like Teen Spirit cover at the start is beyond awful. 

Yeah I'm surprised people enjoyedit, I was cringing and waiting to be over. Ahh teenage angst.

Really enjoyed this. I liked Mr Stranger Things adding some comedy, because the premise is fucking black as night. I love the drive of the younger sister. Knowing it wasn’t fake was what meant everything to her. 

Is it just me, or the very last piece of music of the main part has exact same notes as when Natasha falls for the soul stone? Because my body broke out in goosebumps automatically.
I found the element knowing she meets her end quite moving when you suddenly remember it throughout. 

Surprised at the Teen Spirit hate. I've been a Nirvana fan all my days, and hate the quiet earnest indie cover of an old pop song thing, but though this was ok.

I've seen a few reviews complaining about the casting of young Natasha, but I thought it was excellent. I could deffo see that wee girl growing up to look like Black Widow.

I don't think this film is getting enough credit for its fight choreography. Really hard-hitting, weighty stuff. You can really feel some of the blows.

43 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Surprised at the Teen Spirit hate. I've been a Nirvana fan all my days, and hate the quiet earnest indie cover of an old pop song thing, but though this was ok.

I've seen a few reviews complaining about the casting of young Natasha, but I thought it was excellent. I could deffo see that wee girl growing up to look like Black Widow.

I don't think this film is getting enough credit for its fight choreography. Really hard-hitting, weighty stuff. You can really feel some of the blows.

I didn’t like the cringey cover version, I wasn’t big on the young Natasha casting though Milla Jovovich’s daughter was good in the role I suppose, and I agree on the fight choreography - was good impactful stuff.

Another vote here about how awful the Nirvana cover was. That slowed down, folky, acoustic version of a popular old song is completely played out nowadays. We get one of them every advert break for a car company ffs.

As mentioned before, it may just be the novelty of a cinema again (IMAX, as well), but I really enjoyed this. 
It’s not top tier Marvel, but has good action sequences and really strong interactions between the family. 

Spoiler

And depending on the popularity of new Black Widow they can either wrap her story up in the TV series or bring her into the main cinematic universe.

I hadn’t read the thread, but just came to say that the opening song dropped a huge clanger on the whole movie. It started off with such a bad impression all because of that song choice. The actual movie we got was tonally very different to what was suggested by the opening.

The whole last act nonsense was another matter, but at least that was consistent with Marvel stuff. The opener felt more like Zak Snyder.

On the bum subject, all of that was very definitely placed in there, I think. Scarlett's one of the Executive Producers on this film; if she didn't want gratuitous arse shots in there, I doubt they'd have made the cut. 

She'll have had her money hat on, knows sex sells, and would have greenlit having a few cheeky moments snuck in. 

5 minutes ago, Treble said:

On the bum subject, all of that was very definitely placed in there, I think. Scarlett's one of the Executive Producers on this film; if she didn't want gratuitous arse shots in there, I doubt they'd have made the cut. 

She'll have had her money hat on, knows sex sells, and would have greenlit having a few cheeky moments snuck in. 

Well we did see Red Guardian showing off his bod.

However most of the shots just looked like it was filming behind her, and not intentionally focusing on the bottom for me.

One thing I thought was odd, we’ve had it established for years that Nat felt she’d done awful things and felt joining Shield was her chance for redemption. But her first mission for Shield was

Spoiler

Murdering a little girl

Which kinda makes me question why she thought this new organisation was any better than the one she was leaving. Feels weird that after years and years of talk of her having “red in her ledger” they choose to show us one single awful thing she did in her past and Shield ordered her to do it.

Spoiler

They didn’t order it - she chose to trigger the explosion despite the kid being there - the assumption being that she could have called it off to avoid the collateral damage (obviously the minions involved don’t count as they are stormtroopers on the Death Star. )

is my take on it anyway

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

One thing I thought was odd, we’ve had it established for years that Nat felt she’d done awful things and felt joining Shield was her chance for redemption. But her first mission for Shield was

Hide contents

Murdering a little girl

Which kinda makes me question why she thought this new organisation was any better than the one she was leaving. Feels weird that after years and years of talk of her having “red in her ledger” they choose to show us one single awful thing she did in her past and Shield ordered her to do it.

It was her only chance, it was sadly collateral damage.

1 hour ago, Mortis said:
  Hide contents

They didn’t order it - she chose to trigger the explosion despite the kid being there - the assumption being that she could have called it off to avoid the collateral damage (obviously the minions involved don’t count as they are stormtroopers on the Death Star. )

is my take on it anyway

I though

Spoiler

The bomb was in the kids bag? Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of versions of that plan where the kid is safe.

Either way, difficult choice or collateral damage, it doesn’t exactly paint shield as a kinder and better organisation than the red room.

8 minutes ago, Broker said:

I though

Hide contents

The bomb was in the kids bag? Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of versions of that plan where the kid is safe.

Either way, difficult choice or collateral damage, it doesn’t exactly paint shield as a kinder and better organisation than the red room.

Wasn't it also because

Spoiler

It was her way out, without the kill she couldn't defect and help from SHIELD

3 hours ago, Treble said:

I wouldn’t rewatch it so quick in non covid times. But rewatched it. EP job, she did. There were a lot of butt shots.

Like…really too many. You reflexively enjoy them in the moment if you’re inclined, but it was cynical.

As someone who grew up with Nirvana being instrumental in shaping their musical taste and influence, I have to say I absolutely fucking loved the cover of Teen Spirit in this.

Such a shame it's the best thing about the movie.

So the Red Guardian...(Endgame, Widow and Loki spoilers)

Spoiler

Talked about fighting Captain America...chance we are going to see that happen?   I think Loki has confirmed that Captain America's happy ending happens in the main timeline so he is around at the time - so RG isn't lying (and has no reason to).

This made $60m on premier access. Feel like by contributing to that I'm putting the boot into cinemas while they're down.

(It's made $80m in box office so far, but we all know how quickly behaviours can shift)

I thought this was really good overall. I'm an easy mark, though, because I love the Bourne trilogy (forget the subsequent two), and The Winter Solider is my fave Marvel film. I agree that it felt like a Phase 1 film - carried by strong casting and a focus on characters, but with a weak villain and third act.

I thought the opening sequence and credits in particular were amazing - among the strongest in any Marvel film. It reminded me of the very first X-Men, which opens with young Erik being separated from his parents at Auschwitz, and bending the metal gates in his anguish. The kind of thing that makes me well up a bit with how powerful it is. It's also pretty brave - the imagery of young girls being abducted can't fail but bring to mind sex trafficking, and set up a strong theme of young women being discarded by society, and then having their bodies exploited by predatory men. Except here it's to make them into assassins, rather than sex workers of course, but I felt it was a clever analogy. My wife loved it and appreciated the practical attire they gave the women, and the discussion about the benefits of pockets in Yelena's vest.

The second half wasn't a patch on the first half. The family stuff was the emotional core but the reunion at the farm slowed everything right down and went on a bit long. Then there was the traditional 'everything exploding' ending which is always inevitably less interesting. I didn't think much of Taskmaster either - the twist was very obvious, I thought, and didn't have much impact.

It's a bit of a shame this didn't come out at the correct place in the chronology, but I would say that it exceeded my fairly low expectations.

I liked the opening, and thought the actress playing young Natasha did a good job. Also the opening credits. The final act was diabolical though: there’s a limit to CGI explosions.

Maybe I'm seeing this wrong but...

Spoiler

Was Florence Pugh's character still working for the Red Room until she was given that red gas to snap her out of it? I found that idea of just simply using some sort of "antidote" to free assassins was an easy fluke.

Yes

Spoiler

Pugh is working for the Red Room at that point. It's stated later that she's one of the first generation of Widows to have been chemically subjugated. The gas breaks the effect. Presumably her mission at that point, unbeknownst to her, was to eliminate the threat to the Red Room that the gas represents. Unfortunately for them, the target as a last ditch uses the gas, presumably hoping to have someone pick up the cause.