IGNORED

Anime recommendations

oli

I’m a later comer to enjoying anime and need some recommendations. I’ve just ploughed through Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Attack on Titan. 

Where do i I go next? I loved those three but I’m not sure what to try next 

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the one everyone recommends
Neon Genesis Evangelion is this big fucked up teenage melodrama with giant robots and the best fonts

Silver Spoon is an enjoyable series about a city kid who gets burned out by the japanese school system and goes to a high school for farmers. Loads of heart

March Comes Like a Lion is about depression and Japanese chess

Kids On The Slope is from the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champaloo and is about some kids who play Jazz

Azumanga Diaoh is probably the definitive school based comedy anime

K-ON is the same for the 'cute girls doing cute things' genre

FMA: Brotherhood is excellent and it's all on Netflix.

One Punch Man is about a super hero who defeats all his enemies with a single punch.

Death Note is about what happens when a sardonic teen is given the power to kill anyone he wishes and the attempts of the authorities to stop him.

No, Brotherhood is the full story from the original manga. The other anime series came first and tells the same story to begin with, but it caught up while the manga was still being serialised and had to have a whole separate plot written for it. The movies are set mostly after Brotherhood.

59 minutes ago, oli said:

Is there anything else that has that Cowboy Bebop feel? Samurai Champaloo had it to a degree but not quite

Trigun's probably your best bet although there's just nothing quite like Bebop I'm afraid.

There's so much to watch I kind of envy you!

I'm going to suggest Hajime no Ippo and Hunter X Hunter, 2 longer animes rooted with those warm fuzzies that will leave you staggered.

Ippo is the uncontested sports-Anime king; with such great pacing, amazing characters and spectacular fights. It's also one of the funniest shows ever made - I can think of multiple episodes that have left me struggling to breathe with laughter. It completely got me into boxing at a time when I was practically anti-sports.

Hunter X Hunter I always feel is overlooked, it has the structure of your typical Shonen fighting Anime but is one of the most genuinely clever shows ever made. Death Note has some good moments and I do recommend it; but a lot of Death Note is posturing. HXH is the opposite in spirit; it starts fun but drags you willingly through the most strategic and tense fights you'll ever see, horrific war politics, clever game mechanics, a strange amount of biology and much, much more.

Monster

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex

My Hero Academia

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Devilman Crybaby

Hellsing Ultimate

Hajime no ippo

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Stein's Gate

Berserk (original+newfilms)

One Punch Man

2 hours ago, Jonnysaxc said:

Parasyte is brilliant

Oops how can I forget. I even own it lol.

Another endorsement from myself. Think its on Netflix.

Recommend Ajin and Knights of Sidonia. Both of which are on Netflix as well.

Gunbuster

Wings of honneamise 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Redline

Maison Ikkoku

Golden Boy

The Boy and the beast 

Summer wars

The Girl who leapt through time

Erased

X TV 

Paprika 

Dragonball/Z/Super

Perfect Blue

Princess Monotone

My Neighbour Totoro

Grave of the fireflies 

The castle of cagliostro 

Ninja Scroll

Tokyo Godfathers

Your Name

Akira 

Street Fighter 2 the animated movie (original dub & uncut)

Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal

Angel Beats 

Paranoia Agent

Cowboy bebop knocking on heavens door

Some more from myself. Mostly films. Should tidy alot of people over.

Also gave me the excuse to mention Gunbuster. Doesn't get mentioned much these days.

If evangelion was going to be watched and you just want to get into it quickly. Watch the new films. Fantastic stuff and great animation.

I liked Gintama. It's a comedy samurai / futuristic thing. I'm not a regular anime watcher so I don't get half the jokes. It tickled me, though. It's

what my picture icon's from. I think it's still free on Crunchyroll.

Death Note is also great. Don't let the Netflix live-action US movie put you off.

6 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Monster

My Hero Academia

Hajime no ippo

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Stein's Gate

One Punch Man

I'd highly recommend all of these; just leave Madoka until near the end. Start with the films (suffixed with F).

I'll post some more in a second, can't get this post formatted correctly :(

2 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Redline (F)

The Girl who leapt through time (F)

Erased

Princess Monotone (F)

My Neighbour Totoro (F)

Grave of the fireflies (F)

Akira (F)

I'd recommend watching these too, they're all rated 10/10 in my anime list:

Erased: Beautiful story about a guy who goes back in time to save a childhood friend. https://myanimelist.net/anime/31043/Boku_dake_ga_Inai_Machi.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann: my number 1 anime of all time, it's a masterpiece. You need to watch other anime first to get it, it's not a starts series.

Beck: Boy starts a rock band. Music is excellent and I loved the story.

Mushishi: story about a guy who heals problems caused by spirits, it's kinda realistic fairy tale. enchanting and beautiful.One Piece: tbh just read the manga, it's the best Shonen series so far.

Cowboy Bebop: thankfully you've seen it so you know how awesome it is.

Monster: my number 2 anime of all time; it'd be number 1 but I can't help grinning like an idiot when watching Gurren Lagann ;)

..and a few other which you might like..

ONE PIECE: read the manga. everyone should.

Naruto: manga is great but the production quality of the anime is way better than One Piece.. in my memory.

Megalobox: boxing in the future, tribute to a 50's classic but it holds up great on its own.

Little Witch Academia: very sweet story in a Harry Potter world, by one the best studios.Mob Psycho: by the same author as One Punch Man, this is imho better than OPM.

Turn-A Gundam: my fav gundam series, though it's a bit ugly. Kids fighting in mechas. Win.

Full Metal Panic: really really good mecha series, start from the beginning. the latest series has just finished airing and there will be more to come.

8 hours ago, Comrade said:

Maybe check the anime thread?

Yeah I did look but it was a lot to go through and as someone relatively new to anime it was daunting. 

I’ve started Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and so far I’m really enjoying it

On 14/07/2018 at 19:36, SuperBrother said:

Space Dandy is a must.

Yeah - couple of slow eps, but a great showcase of animation styles.

22 hours ago, matt0 said:

FLCL.

The original one from 2000.

Word. Still one of my all-time favourite animations, let alone anime. Space Dandy feels a little like a cross between it and Cowboy Bebop.

On 14/07/2018 at 23:39, John Edward Gammell said:

Michiko & Hatchin

GITS: Standalone Complex

Love Michiko and Hatchin - doesn't get enough love in the Anime thread, but it's a great buddy/road movie series - with a real woman as the lead. And GitS: SaC for sure - do start with the first series, mind.

If you like action, which your selection suggests, Black Lagoon is worth a punt.

Oh, oh, any Lupin III series or movie you can find. Including Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, which is relatively recent. I'm sure The Castle of Cagliostro will have been mentioned already - watch it.

Some older series worth digging out, and maybe moving away from pure action:

• Last Exile: Kinda Steampunk adventure, telling the tale of a couple of hotshot pilot kids who get caught up in a huge war between two nations. A little similar in feel to FMA:B, which is why I mention it.
  • Tatami Galaxy: Story of a college guy trying to get through life and get the girl - again and again and again... Unusual art style and a quirky sense of humour.
  • Planetes: Solidly realistic sci-fi stories about a bunch of misfits who work collecting space garbage, in the least-respected department on the space station.

I just came on the Rllmuk to pretty much ask this same question as I've just watched all of One Punch Man and it was flipping awesome! Seriously watch this if you've haven't already, really enjoyed it. Looking for something similar now so will go through the other recommendations in here. 

15 minutes ago, TommyG said:

I just came on the Rllmuk to pretty much ask this same question as I've just watched all of One Punch Man and it was flipping awesome! Seriously watch this if you've haven't already, really enjoyed it. Looking for something similar now so will go through the other recommendations in here. 

Mob Psycho 100!!! Same guy behind it.

I see a couple of people have recommended Grave of the Fireflies.

While it's something that someone who gets into anime, or animation in general, really should watch, it's absolutely nothing like the series posted in the OP. It's pretty harrowing.

I'm going to throw in another personal favourite movie - Tokyo Godfathers. A Christmas tale with a difference. Ah, wait - zero9x got there first, along with all the other Satoshi Kon movies. Darn! Again, nothing like the series posted in the OP, but another reason why anime can be so darned great.

Took me ages to get round to watching Paprika - I had the disc for years - but it's genuinely one of the best Anime movies I've ever seen, a real masterpiece.

Seeing as you've already watched Cowboy Bebop and it's all downhill from there, I'll suggest my other favourites: Urusei Yatsura and Dirty Pair. Movies, TV shows, OVAs, the lot. That's a big commitment, but I really think they're wildly entertaining, and the humour translates very well (something that doesn't so often happen with Japanese stuff).