rllmuk
Loik V credern

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema - BBC4 19th March: Superheroes

It was great and thorough as you'd expect, surprised at how far reaching he was with the films when he's mentioning some horror too. I liked the Punch Drunk Love analysis.

Spoiler warning for La La Land at the end. 

Next week is heists. :) 

11 hours ago, Minion said:

Enjoyed this but prefer Mark Cousins The Story of Film.

I thought the same thing, but then, I'm not interested in rom-coms.  Very much looking forward to heists and horror.

I went to a live evening with Mark Kermode a couple of years ago and he's a very open and likeable chap.

I'm not a fan of Rom-Com's but it did offer a good insight to the structure of them and how certain films have tricked viewers expectations. Good stuff. Can't wait for the horror one!

Seemed like a pretty obvious attempt to capitalise on the popularity of all the film analysis video essays that are on Youtube these days. I enjoyed it, though I would have preferred it if it had been a bit more focussed, putting forth some sort of specific theory, instead of “here’s a bunch of thoughts about rom coms”.

Kermode has been doing this kind of thing for years though. His thoughts and documentaries have always been insightful stuff.

6 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Kermode has been doing this kind of thing for years though. His thoughts and documentaries have always been insightful stuff.

Yeah but the specific format of “secrets you never noticed about films you love” is all over the internet, and probably why this programme got commissioned.

On 19/07/2018 at 14:38, Comrade said:

Seemed like a pretty obvious attempt to capitalise on the popularity of all the film analysis video essays that are on Youtube these days. I enjoyed it, though I would have preferred it if it had been a bit more focussed, putting forth some sort of specific theory, instead of “here’s a bunch of thoughts about rom coms”.

Yeah except television was making documentaries about film before the internet was invented, let alone YouTube. 

• Upvote 4

And there are a ton of people that don't watch youtube*, so there is an audience for it.

*or don't know which you tube videos are Good And which are shit.

• Upvote 2

Didn't know about that Punch-Drunk Love thing he pointed out. Very interesting.

Yeah, this was really enjoyable.  Nice relaxing TV to watch late in the evening.  Looking forward to the rest of the series now.

The Heist one was great. And, surprisingly, I really enjoyed the romcom one as well. Although it did hit home just how far the romcom has fallen.

I'm really conflicted by Mark Kermode, on the one hand he's become an institution, and his radio show is reliably entertaining.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever heard him say anything particularly insightful when reviewing a film, he occasionally will raise stuff you might learn in an Intro to Cinema textbook and Mayo at least pretends to fawn over it, but as a reviewer I much preferred Danny Leigh's stint on the BBC Film show. I tend not to agree with Kermode, especially where comedies are concerned - the guy has a middle-England vicar's sense of humour, as is evident by the deeply unfunny "injokes" and the fake bellowing laugh he always does at the mildest listener joke. It's pretty transparent how he always crowbars comparisons to his favourite films (Exorcist & Blade Runner Zzzzzz), which comes off as more of a fanboy than academic, and more than a little Gregg Turkington.

He's also a 'diplomatic' reviewer, which is a polite way of saying if he knows the British director or if he liked an actor in an interview, he will go easy on the film and praise the acting even if it's a turkey. So I consider him to be an inconsistent and unreliable reviewer, because I never trust whether he has taken against a film for legitimate reasons or because of some ideological objection. For instance, the way he slated Greatest Showman, but Mammia Mia 2 reduced him to tears (really?) or how whenever he reviews a Marvel film he basically cops out and says "comic book fans really enjoyed it". An exception to this is Deadpool 2, which I personally found to be a whole lot funnier and satisfying than the first, yet he went in hard against it, because "bigger budget doesn't make a better comedy"... what?!

But this series does sound interesting, and I enjoyed Mark Gatiss' horror film documentaries a lot, so if these are of a similar standard I will give them a watch.

While I'm here and moaning about film reviews: what's with the two best publications, Little White Lies & Kermode's own Sight & Sound, spoiling plot points in their reviews. It is absolutely possible to give a full academic analysis of a film whilst speaking broadly about its narrative direction, without giving away precise plot details and the film's ending. Last week Kermode pretty much gave away the ending to one of the film's he was praising because of how shocking it's end was.

It's so annoying as at the other end of the scale you have Empire and Total Film, which are little more than glorified advertisement brochures.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I still listen to the occasional review on YouTube but I cannot stand the show, they did the Church thing as a joke but it’s brought out the worst and made a thing of the listeners who are just insufferable 

the trouble with him I find is he is very predictable in terms of movies he will enjoy and I was disappointed when I listened to Blockers which is a very clever movie about sexual politics and he had fallen hook line and sinker for the crass marketing, almost alone among the professional reviewers. It made me think like you he just can’t form an opinion on his own.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I love mark, I get those criticisms of him but they are at least obvious and he normally admits to them. The podcast is on the edge of tipping over into smug city though, but I've been listening every week for ten years so I'm fully brainwashed. 

I don't always agree with him but he's a critic, I find his opinions entertaining and he really champions smaller films that I wouldn't see other wise. He also doesn't buy into this nonsense of picking plots apart as criticism, so beloved by many here and on you tube. 

He's definitely got too chummy with some directors though to be unbiased. But they do read out these criticisms, all of them have been aired on the show and he's quite happy to admit to some of them. Without mayo there he would be insufferable but the two together, for me, just work. Gutted it's not on for six weeks. 

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, linkster said:

I still listen to the occasional review on YouTube but I cannot stand the show, they did the Church thing as a joke but it’s brought out the worst and made a thing of the listeners who are just insufferable

The Church

Tinkity-Tonk

Hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons

The Cruise

All of this shit is awful and it makes up a good 25-30% of every show/podcast.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No it doesn't, they're just phrases tact onto the end of people emails. It's a light hearted bit of banter which makes the listeners feel a part of the show. Some right misserbale sods on this forum and if you don't like it dont listen to the show, his reviews are always on YouTube if you just want them.

He's definitely too chummy with some directors and actors, but when you've worked in and around the industry as long as he has, that's always gonna happen. 

Ironic, linkster calling other people insufferable. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

No it doesn't, they're just phrases tact onto the end of people emails. It's a light hearted bit of banter which makes the listeners feel a part of the show. Some right misserbale sods on this forum and if you don't like it dont listen to the show, his reviews are always on YouTube if you just want them.

I get this, absolutely. I look forward to listening to the show and there is definitely something comforting about all the in-jokes even though they're not funny at all to me. I just wonder if I put up with all that stuff because it's literally the only regular movie show being put out by a British broadcasting network in 2018. As I say, I enjoyed the discussion on Film 201X much more but it only went out 12 episodes a year and has been all-but canned, the last series being a disaster.

I do agree with Kermode sometimes... recently I think he was spot on about Jurassic World: FK, I dare say I will agree with him about Hereditary.

I just wish the show had more critical voices than Kermode, maybe get Collins, Clarice or a guest reviewer in each week to debate with him. And better in-jokes. But I'll take what I can get.

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I get this, absolutely. I look forward to listening to the show and there is definitely something comforting about all the in-jokes even though they're not funny at all to me. I just wonder if I put up with all that stuff because it's literally the only regular movie show being put out by a British broadcasting network in 2018. As I say, I enjoyed the discussion on Film 201X much more but it only went out 12 episodes a year and has been all-but canned, the last series being a disaster.

I do agree with Kermode sometimes... recently I think he was spot on about Jurassic World, I dare say I will agree with him about Hereditary.

I just wish the show had more critical voices than Kermode, maybe get Collins, Clarice or a guest reviewer in each week to debate with him. And better in-jokes. But I'll take what I can get.

Dunno if they still run the cut down show on a Saturday but it’s got much less of the crap and more of the reviews