IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

3 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Interesting idea. I guess that you're targeting the untapped casual retro/ nostalgia crowd as opposed to the hardcore crowd and those clued up with emulator front ends, custom images etc.

Yup, although we hope that the fact the creators will be getting paid, plus the fact we are adding a lot of bespoke content (challenges, achievements, online leaderboards etc) will get some of the hardcore crowd on board too. 

13 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Pricing will be key. Whilst people pay circa £10p/m for Netflix, they may benefit from say 40 hours of content for the cost. Retro gaming time will be considerable lower. I know that mine is! I play for 3-4 hours per week, but that's down to buying a Super NT.

I'm pretty sure I spend more time playing retro games each month than I do watching TV of any sort. Definitely games in general if not just retro.

Switch version of Antstream please ;)

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

That's a secret. 

Very exciting! :D I was worried my question was too stupidly optimistic to even be worth asking.

Also congrats on the project as a whole, looks awesome. Would definitely give it a go at the point I can play through my TV / PS4 / Switch.

4 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Oh yes. 

We've got some big names on board already, and are having discussions with some HUGE names (pretty much as big as they get tbh). That pretty much means something like an ICO or other unconventional fundraising is off the table for the moment. But in the future it could be an option. But yeah, lets talk on our private channels!

Glad to hear. :)

I'm plugged into and working with some of the biggest names in the ico community now (think listed companies) and think this would be a killer project to work on. Get it funded, quick.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

The original creators getting paid is a massive selling point to me and I suspect to others as well.

It certainly is to me. I'm not likely to use it much, but I'd rather pay a fiver for a month here and there knowing that the creator is getting paid than fire up an emulator to play something I don't own. Same reason I own things like Mega Drive classics or Virtual Console games, really. 

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

It certainly is to me. I'm not likely to use it much, but I'd rather pay a fiver for a month here and there knowing that the creator is getting paid than fire up an emulator to play something I don't own. Same reason I own things like Mega Drive classics or Virtual Console games, really. 

A big selling point for me is the ability to play games for platforms that didn't make it out here or to legally play games I just couldn't get my hands on back in the day due to spotty distribution.

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

Will it be possible to launch other games that aren't on the service from your hard drive like some super frontend?

It’s a cool idea, but there’s retroarch style front ends for that sort of thing. This is about doing things legit. After all, Netflix wouldn’t let you watch ripped Blu-rays. 

12 minutes ago, dave7g said:

No, but Steam allows you to add "other" games. I just hate pissing around with emulators at this stage, would gladly pay for a convenient one stop shop.

Well, never say never, but it’s certainly not our agenda for now anyway. ;)

But it if you hate pissing around with emulators, this is DEFINITELY the service for you. 

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Oh yes. 

We've got some big names on board already, and are having discussions with some HUGE names (pretty much as big as they get tbh). That pretty much means something like an ICO or other unconventional fundraising is off the table for the moment. But in the future it could be an option. But yeah, lets talk on our private channels!

Bruce Everiss? 

42 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Not possible though is it.  Physics/speed of light etc.

Shame you don't build the emulators into the client and download 'ROMs' on demand.  That would use a fraction of the bandwidth and eliminate lag.

Piracy I guess, even though all the games are available online. 

43 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Not possible though is it.  Physics/speed of light etc.

Shame you don't build the emulators into the client and download 'ROMs' on demand.  That would use a fraction of the bandwidth and eliminate lag.

Then it wouldn't be a streaming service ;)

I took part in some focus testing of this last year. No lag that I could perceive - obviously there is some if you want to view it that way m but I doubt you could tell - and it all worked rather seemlessly.

In fact the only downside was cybernet offering a tenner to turn up in east london. Another focus group gave me a tonne to take home 4 beers and drink them.

I thought it was a downloadable service. Not had much luck with other streaming game platforms, just laggy messes. 

I hope it works out for you but I'd need a trial to make sure it's not like the others.

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

I took part in some focus testing of this last year. No lag that I could perceive - obviously there is some if you want to view it that way m but I doubt you could tell - and it all worked rather seemlessly.

In fact the only downside was cybernet offering a tenner to turn up in east london. Another focus group gave me a tonne to take home 4 beers and drink them.

In fairness, I did invite you to the pub after as well, but I seem to recall something about you ‘needing to nip off’, ‘washing your hair’ and ‘it’s not you it’s me’. 

7 hours ago, dave7g said:

I thought it was a downloadable service. Not had much luck with other streaming game platforms, just laggy messes. 

I hope it works out for you but I'd need a trial to make sure it's not like the others.

This,

I like the idea and having access to so much in one place will be great. I've signed up to the mailing list but a trial would certainly be welcome when it is released.

How have you got 2 5 star reviews on your facebook page when it's not even out :lol:

Sounds like exciting stuff :) Surely there will be a discount for all of us rllmukers of course ;)

8 hours ago, dave7g said:

The only one I've spent any real time with is Nvidia's Geforce Now beta, but that worked surprisingly well for me. I'm sure there was some small amount of lag, but I certainly couldn't perceive it.

So yeah, colour me very interested in this. :)