IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

6 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Because we have a huge amount of resources and world-class technical expertise to throw at the problem!

Why wasn't this all sorted beforehand then?

Did you shoot for the summer months because you're worried it will get lost in the crowded Christmas market?

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Annoyingly this didn't come up in the beta, seems to be something that's occurred since we got a lot more users on board. If you look at the videos posted by DeKay/ Ashens etc, you'll see the artifacting is nowhere near as bad as in Strider's video. 

I think their argument is that there shouldn't be any artifacting at all. When you're playing a spectrum 48K game on on an Xbox One, it should be absolutely perfect and it's impossible to put forward an argument that makes anything less that perfect acceptable when it's a subscription product at £10 per month. 

At the moment, it's an interesting proposition and if it was free and advertising funded (just like YouTube) you'd play with it for a while and explore the games. For £10 a month it's a long way off what my expectations were. 

The biggest issue overall is that it launched. People are paying money to access this service. If it doesn't work properly then it's going to have customers cancelling, a poor/average review in the magazine, and it hard to see how they can recover from that initial bad first impression. My opinion is that the screen break up is down to quick encoding, and spectrum games are ideal for speedy compression. Fixing the screen corruption issues will surely introduce more lag, so it's a play off of one against the other so I don't see how it can be easily fixed. 

I don't think it's quite as straightforwards as that. That clip of Dizzy, where it's obviously worse on screen changes, is a bit hard to look at properly because the recording's so poor.

But it suggests either a really long GOP and/or a lack of scene detection. Scene detection probably does introduce a bit of lag, and shorter GOPs would tend to increase bitrate.

I would have thought though, that there would be things you could do to mitigate this sort of thing, by creating a few different encoding templates.

Something like Dizzy is very old, so very little video information is on-screen - most of it is black - it's slow-moving, and doesn't require super-speedy response. But regularly, the entire screen changes wholesale. So you might create a profile with relatively low bitrate, incorporate scene detection, use an appropriate GOP length/structure, not do a lot of motion work (which will tend to enable shorter lag) and so on.

Then you might create a different profile for something like a side-scrolling shooter, with higher quality, higher bitrates, more work on motion and less work on scene detection. It would look a bit poor on transition in and out of menus, but would likely hold up during the actual gameplay.

And create a few sets of encoding templates, probably with increasing bitrates in general as the games are newer (as there's more information to encode as computers got more powerful) and a few differing encoding styles for different types of games.

3 hours ago, strider said:

Why wasn't this all sorted beforehand then?

Did you shoot for the summer months because you're worried it will get lost in the crowded Christmas market?

Some small company called Google are launching a streaming gaming service called Stadia later this year apparently...

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't think it's quite as straightforwards as that. That clip of Dizzy, where it's obviously worse on screen changes, is a bit hard to look at properly because the recording's so poor.

Here's Dizzy looking at it's best on Anstream. Looks lovely.

That's what I want to play, but it sadly rarely looks like that.

dizzy.png

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I can't see it. I thought it would be on my subs on the xbox but it's not appearing there. 

Probably easier to email them and ask. I was on PC and was able to cancel from the website in my account page.

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

How the hell do you cancel this, my sub just rolled over but there doesn't seen to be any way to cancel it. 

Click the cancel button in your profile.

I think the lag is bigger when there's more happening on screen.  I'm guessing that the compression and video settings are programmed at Antstream's end on a per game basis, a bit like @Uncle Mike was talking about earlier.  Dizzy is a static game and 90% of the screen isn't moving, so they reduce the quality of the stream and eradicate the lag.  Then you play Metal Slug and all hell breaks lose on screen and the lag becomes really noticable.

I notice also that you can't capture a stream on the Xbox.  I can stream live to Mixer, but I'm unable to capture the last 30 seconds or whatever.  I wanted to post to show how badly it breaks up on my Xbox, but can only show you it live via Mixer. 

I can do a like for like comparison on one PC, and I'm aiming to do something today to compare.  I'll post it here if I get it done.

6 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I notice also that you can't capture a stream on the Xbox.  I can stream live to Mixer, but I'm unable to capture the last 30 seconds or whatever.  I wanted to post to show how badly it breaks up on my Xbox, but can only show you it live via Mixer. 

Because it's an app not a game. You can't capture apps.

AFAIK.

19 hours ago, Fletch said:

That's the weird thing it says I'm not subscribed but antstream have taken £9.99 out of my PayPal 

I think I see what has happened here ;)

6 hours ago, deKay said:

I played Wizkid, there was lag.

Another Amiga game with lag. Gotta be something up with that.

The audio also starts going to shit at this point (11:30) and then seems to get progressively worse as the video goes on, to the point of being unbearable by the end

Poor Richard Joseph will be spinning in his grave...

Just wondering if you are using wi-fi or are u hard wired? I have Ethernet cable hard wired and never experience lag or picture distortion of any kind. I did notice that when I use wi-fi I get occasional picture breakup but my tv is really far away from router so that's to be expected.