IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

Yes people are still using it - don't think I can give out figures but we're seeing steady growth and are happy with the low unsubscribe rate. Particularly as we haven't even started marketing it properly, yet (we haven't done any paid advertising whatsoever, as far as I know - that's about to change.) 

The new update (possibly launching tomorrow) will fix two of the three main problems which were picked up on in the recent Retro Gamer/ Tech Radar review - video quality deteriorating during long gameplay sessions, and adding save game support. We've also added autosave, so if you close down your device, or suddenly lose connection going through a tunnel or something, you can pick up right where you left off. A fix for the final problem they identified (lack of user definable controls) is well underway, but I can't estimate when it will be released yet. 

We've also been slowly but steadily adding new games, and are planning a big drop with over 100 new titles very soon. And we are now very, very close to being able to announce some big news about new contracts we've signed, which is what I'm probably most excited about.  

On 03/09/2019 at 09:36, dumpster said:

Anyone still using this? Has it improved? New games?  Any feedback 3 months in?

Review in this month’s Retro Gamer. Pretty much the same as what I’ve said already.

Saved games (arcade and Spectrum titles - the rest to come soon) and greatly improved video performance are now live ... Including auto-save when the connection drops.  Also added 95 new (old) games to the platform today. 

Next up - user-defined controls and improved discoverability. And 150 or so more games in the next couple of weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Save states are working like a charm. I have tested it with head over heels on the Amiga which I am currently working my way through and this will hopefully mean I can finally finish the game for the 1st time ever. Next up will the last ninja trilogy. The save states are pretty cool, I have spent the last half hour playing head over heels on the phone and will then reload my save state later on the telly when the kids are gone to bed and continue where I left off.

I am still a high score hunter addict so that's what I have been mostly doing. The use of Save states voids a high score which in my opinion is the right choice as it stops people reloading their state if they die and cheating with this method.

New search by platform works great too, just type c64 into search bar and everything for c64 appears 

I would imagine that a trial would involve the customer signing up for a month, playing the games they wanted to try, then cancelling, having seen what they wanted to see.

I have a netflix sub, and Im waiting for a new series of Better call Saul, there are a load of films in my list and family members share my account and give me half the money.

With Antstream you get that hit of nostalgia, but once you have seen it, you've seen it. They add new games regularly enough, but (to me at least) it's fun to re-live your youth playing Dizzy or Head Over Heels, but once you have played the specific titles you liked there isn't a build up or anticipation towards the next big thing that's coming to the service.  I know that the list of games will always be subjective, but seriously, how many of those games will people be playing for more than a curious few minutes? 

Those people aren't going to buy it anyway, no matter what. But some like myself want to make sure it works properly and is what I'm after. I'll happily pay monthly if it's what I want, but I'm not going in blind after reading some negative stuff about it. I'm sure there's a lot more like me.

47 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Those people aren't going to buy it anyway, no matter what. But some like myself want to make sure it works properly and is what I'm after. I'll happily pay monthly if it's what I want, but I'm not going in blind after reading some negative stuff about it. I'm sure there's a lot more like me.

A trial is a must for any service whose experience is so affected by the end user's connection and hardware. 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

I want to dip in and out. Maybe for a month once every six months or so. So the option to buy a months pass would be great. No way am I signing up to a subscription though.

when you subscribe you just immediately go in and cancel renewal thereby it expires after a month

4 hours ago, deKay said:

So the Atari console which was going to have Atari games on it, will now have Atari games streamed to it instead? What?

So you didn't read the article then where it said it would be an enhanced edition with the Antstream service? If anything ever comes out, of course.

@Anne Summers I presume your higher-ups have had some assurances from Atari that this actually a product that will exist before entering into this agreement?