IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

So you didn't read the article then where it said it would be an enhanced edition with the Antstream service? If anything ever comes out, of course.

It doesn't say that. It says 

The partnership with Antstream Arcade will enable an enhanced and exclusive “Atari Edition” of Antstream’s game streaming service to the upcoming Atari VCS home gaming and entertainment system.

It's an 'enhanced' version of Antstream Arcade that will appear on all versions of the VCS console as far as I can make out.

And obviously it's only a month trial you get for you money, after that you have to pay for it at seemingly the same cost as normal, but you do get 50 exclusive games...

5 hours ago, deKay said:

So the Atari console which was going to have Atari games on it, will now have Atari games streamed to it instead? What?

The intellivision amico has atari remakes like missile command that won’t be on atari’s new console either. Not really sure what Atari are up to at the mo.

58 minutes ago, Gabe said:

So you didn't read the article then where it said it would be an enhanced edition with the Antstream service? If anything ever comes out, of course.

the exclusive Antstream Arcade Atari VCS app will include the largest collection of Atari games available on demand, in both original and enhanced edition formats, curated from across the brand’s many arcade, home, and handheld platforms.

So the Atari console which was going to have Atari games on it, will now have Atari games streamed to it instead? What?

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Except you can play those games for free for a month. After that, it’s £10 a month.On a “console” that costs $250.

Its like they looked at the Nintendo Switch Online business model and though “let’s have a worse selection of games, give a worse gaming experience and charge more money for it. 

It doesn’t surprise me from Infogrames... I mean, “Atari”. 

“If you are an Atari fan, the best way to experience Antstream and Atari on Antstream is through the Antstream app on Atari VCS,”

Yeah, that statement makes absolutely no sense. How many Atari fans are demanding to experience Atari on Antstream? Maybe a lot more wanting to know when the fuck the console is going to be released, what with it being delayed so much and no sign of release.

I dunno, it seems like a strange decision for Antstream. The modern Atari VCS  is toxic in the retro community and let’s be honest the Atari brand is worthless to most gamers and yet they seem to be acting like they’ve signed a contract with Nintendo. 

26 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Why, what have they done?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/atari_retro_console/

Time to check in again on the Atari retro console… dear God, it’s actually got worse

Atari zoomed past its first launch date of December 2017 – something that resulted in a bizarre exchange between El Reg and its COO Michael Arzt in March 2018, in which he first tried to persuade us that it was absolutely normal to showcase an empty plastic box at a games industry event, and then accused us of being “irresponsible trolls” when we wrote it up. Unfortunately for Arzt, he had forgotten we recorded the interview.

Atari then promised to launch in July 2019 – more than a year later. But come March, it then moved the date again to March 2020. Even then it noted that "all dates are good faith estimates and subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances."

But with huge numbers of people having already paid the company $329 for their chance to get an updated version of the classic Atari VCS console – and with the company continuing to push its pre-orders – the retro kit biz is under pressure to at least update people on progress.

This led to a blog post in July – the same month as its second missed deadline – which said: “We look forward to showing off some of these modern gameplay examples and other great content publicly later this summer… We will bring back some new info and look forward to many more ‘mission accomplished’ moments ahead! Enjoy the summer!”

As the end of summer approached, one frustrated “customer” took to the Atari VCS subreddit to outline the updates that Atari has provided on all its social media channels since its July post. It didn’t make for happy reading and the author summarized his findings at the bottom:

“Scorecard Since Shutting Down Backer Updates on IndieGoGo

References to other people's work or achievements: 12

Direct Facebook appeals to pre-order or buy something: 11 (exclusive of other social media)

Pictures or renders of non-functional plastic boxes: at least 18

Concrete indicators product is being manufactured: 0

Atari responded by… deleting the post. On a Reddit forum that it didn’t run but had been invited to serve as a moderator. That also did not go over well. In fact, it’s safe to say that people went into somewhat of a rage.

So Atari responded by… deleting all the subsequent angry comments. At which point its representatives had their moderator rights removed. So Atari responded by… setting up its own subreddit where it has continued to delete posts and comments it doesn’t like.

And if you think it couldn’t get any worse, well then you don’t know Atari. Because earlier this month when one of the last remaining threads of its credibility came under question when the architect of its new console – the system architect for the original Xbox and designer of PlayStation 3's graphic systems, Rob Wyatt – was named as the co-founder and CTO of a new gameboard startup.

So, in summary:

Atari has missed every single deadline it has ever set around the VCS console

It hasn’t provided any updates for months despite repeat promises to do so

There is still no evidence that there is even a working prototype

The only man on the team with actual experience with building a games console is now the co-founder of another startup

Atari was booted off its own subreddit for deleting posts and comments it didn’t like

Then this is announced https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/atari-antstream-arcade-to-bring-thousands-of-retro-games-to-atari-vcs-console/

Atari revealed today that Antstream Arcade will to bring thousands of retro games to Atari VCS console when the system launches in March 2020.

The Atari VCS will sell for $250 as a modern Linux-based game console that can play a lot of classic retro games. It’s one of the big moves that New York-based Atari is making to revive the Atari brand name for mainstream consumers, and Atari is making sure they will have more than enough content for players, said Michael Arzt, chief operating officer at Atari, in an interview with GamesBeat.

So I guess when they said "We look forward to showing off some of these modern gameplay examples and other great content publicly later this summer" the meant "you'll have the ability to pay an extra £10 a month to stream 50 exclusive Atari games. Whenever it's actually released."

I'm looking forward to the exciting news that Antstream is going to be on the Sinclair Vega+ . When it's released just in time for the Spectrum's 50th Anniversary.

45 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Was it along the lines of them saying "yes, this exists, honest!" or was there a bit of actual substance to it? And has Antstream actually been seen running on one, then?

Substance.

Don't want to sound arrogant or flippant but do you know anything about who is involved with Antstream? It's fairly well known who we have on our team, and who is backing us. We aren't just going to believe "this exists, honest". 

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

Only reading about it in Retro Gamer today, my subscription is infuriatingly slow to deliver. It does not sound good. Has there been an update where you can see what games are available at least?

Yeah, I would say every single criticism in the Retro Gamer review has been fixed, apart from we don't yet have user definable controls (coming soon though). We have save games, search results now let you search by platform and genre, and video quality is hugely improved. 

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Don't want to sound arrogant or flippant but do you know anything about who is involved with Antstream? It's fairly well known who we have on our team, and who is backing us. We aren't just going to believe "this exists, honest". 

So that's a "yes" and a "yes" then, is it? 

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

So that's a "yes" and a "yes" then, is it? 

It's a "wait and see" ;) I'm limited in what I can say because we have agreements and NDAs in place and that sort of thing, sorry if that sounds like a cop out but I am not going to lie and I'm also not going to say anything that I'm not 100% sure is cleared for release. What I will say is that by now it should be fairly clear, to anyone who has been following what we've done so far, that we don't make promises we can't keep. 

Added 18 new SNK games today - total number of games live on Antstream now stands at 737. Which is 337 more than we had when we soft-launched three months ago. We also have 264 unique challenges on games as diverse as CJs Elephant Antics on the Spectrum, Speedball 2 on the Amiga and the arcade version of Double Dragon. We're adding KOEI Tecmo games in the next few weeks, and Atari games in the near future. We also have a number of other really cool licensing deals that we're just about ready to announce, though not quite!

The number of systems we have games running on is going to increase very quickly, very soon, too. We're going to be bringing games to the UK that have never been officially available here before. (We're actually already doing that, with licensed, translated versions of several Chinese / Taiwanese RPGs - but we're going to be doing it a lot more.)

We've added global leaderboards for most of our games in the last few weeks, too. There's people from across Europe trying to get the top score on an online leaderboard for Wanted: Monty Mole. Which I think is awesome. 

Did I mention we now have game saves? Including auto-save when the connection drops. 

We're going to start marketing soon. 

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

(We're actually already doing that, with licensed, translated versions of several Chinese / Taiwanese RPGs - but we're going to be doing it a lot more.)

Is there a list of these available? 

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Substance.

I have no idea who's involved in Antstream apart from you.

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

It's a "wait and see" ;) I'm limited in what I can say because we have agreements and NDAs in place and that sort of thing, sorry if that sounds like a cop out but I am not going to lie and I'm also not going to say anything that I'm not 100% sure is cleared for release. What I will say is that by now it should be fairly clear, to anyone who has been following what we've done so far, that we don't make promises we can't keep. 

Given what I've read about this Atari thing it's not your promises I was wondering about, hence the interest in exactly (or even vaguely) if it's been shown this thing really does actually exist in a workable form. It's one thing to say it's been proven on some unknown level that's acceptable to your team in order to announce a licensing deal, but when there's been no evidence of any actual product on their part - even for those who've spent a lot of money on it - you'd have to understand any skepticism on what they're promising to deliver and to deliver to market in 6 months time at that. If they're able to assuage the of the wondrous minds running Antstream, why haven't they done the same for the people who've paid up front for it in other words - not expecting you to be able to answer that, it's just a logical question for anyone looking in from the outside. 

10 hours ago, Nequests said:

Is there a list of these available? 

Not handy - I could make you one but I'm in hospital today. 

We're working on updating the game list on the website at the moment, I am not sure how it will look when it's finished but I'd like it to give more information like genre, year of release, etc. Ideally I'd like something much flashier with screenshots and the ability for users to rate games and upload reviews, but it's not my project so I am not sure how it will actually turn out. 

3 hours ago, stefcha said:

Given what I've read about this Atari thing it's not your promises I was wondering about, hence the interest in exactly (or even vaguely) if it's been shown this thing really does actually exist in a workable form. It's one thing to say it's been proven on some unknown level that's acceptable to your team in order to announce a licensing deal, but when there's been no evidence of any actual product on their part - even for those who've spent a lot of money on it - you'd have to understand any skepticism on what they're promising to deliver and to deliver to market in 6 months time at that. If they're able to assuage the of the wondrous minds running Antstream, why haven't they done the same for the people who've paid up front for it in other words - not expecting you to be able to answer that, it's just a logical question for anyone looking in from the outside. 

I don't know. I can't answer for Atari. And you're right, I can't really say any more than I have. But, as one long-standing member of this forum to another, I am telling you that I know enough to be confident that this is going to work out. Of course it's up to you whether you trust me, and I don't claim to be always 100% right!

19 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

You're right, the Handy was the original name for the Lynx not the VCS.

Handy is just the German word for mobile device, is it not? Maybe just mobile gaming device.

Hahah - from wiki:

Atari Corp. and Epyx eventually agreed that Atari Corp. would handle production and marketing, while Epyx would handle software development. Epyx declared bankruptcy by the end of the year, and Atari essentially owned the entire project; both Atari and others, however, had to purchase Amigas from Atari archrival Commodore to develop Lynx software