IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

Oh. In that case the whole Atari decision is a lot weirder. Again, maybe they can get something positive out of it, but by the looks of it @gone fishin' certainly has a point.

I didn't get the idea of the Atari thing anyway - a retro console with souped up hardware and the ability for developers to make current gen games for it? Doesn't make sense.  An "Atari Mini" with all the games would be cheap as chips to make (the entire Atari 2600 library is a megabyte or two in size), and something I might buy. But telling your backers that their new Atari console will require a monthly subscription to stream a game that may only be 1K in size seems ludicrous.

36 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I didn't get the idea of the Atari thing anyway - a retro console with souped up hardware and the ability for developers to make current gen games for it? Doesn't make sense.  An "Atari Mini" with all the games would be cheap as chips to make (the entire Atari 2600 library is a megabyte or two in size), and something I might buy. But telling your backers that their new Atari console will require a monthly subscription to stream a game that may only be 1K in size seems ludicrous.

Already a load of Atari minis aren't there?

28 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Already a load of Atari minis aren't there?

Oh no, more expense....

I just mean that a manufacturer has to make their product obvious and clear.  A mini console with all the games in is straightforward.  A new console with capable specification and game streaming is surely competing with Stadia and PS Now and with the Atari name, styled like a VCS etc - who'd buy that?

This came up on my recommended feed. Not great when a video generates 5000+ views and is basically ripping into Anstream with comments like:

It’s like Roku announcing they’re making movies then telling us to join Netflix.

They realise no true gamer likes streaming don't they?

When ATgames makes better consoles than you, you know it's pretty bad

I don’t mind buying digital copies of games, but I’ll never pay for a streaming service... BTW, why is Atari going to make people stream their own intellectual property through a third party service?

Or even this video

He gave an OK review for Antstream when it was first released (although he said it wasn't really for him and it was too expensive), but he's now saying after 2 months of paying for it, he doesn't think it's very good.

I'm sure both of those YouTubers wouldn't have even bothered with Antstream (even the second one who has been paying for 2 months), but clearly the whole VCS announcement has riled a load of people up, who were already pissed off with the shit show it's been, and as a result brought a load of negative publicity for Antstream. 

1 hour ago, skittles said:

I don't know why people are hating on the Atari news. If the console gets released or not, it's free PR for them.

It's not as if it is exclusive to the Atari... right?

I think people are hating more on the Atari side of things. It’s just a horrible mess.

The recent Tencent investment news is more interesting after all of the Blizzard drama this week. Let’s hope Antream weren’t planning to emulate the Amiga “classic” Hong Kong Phooey.  

20 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Nope. not exclusive. 

Are there not some games that are exclusive to the Atari VCS version of Anstream then?

That’s what I got from this part of the venturebeat article (but to be fair it’s a mess of a sentence)

Antstream Arcade on the Atari VCS will exclusively offer 50 classic Atari titles at launch for new and existing Antstream Arcade users, with additional games added on a steady basis.

It's strange, "Atari" have been a dodgy bloke in a portakabin trying to make a few quid off the brand he owns for a few years now but lots of people seem to still treat them as if they're actual Atari, or at least the infogrames-rebranded company that made games sometimes.

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's strange, "Atari" have been a dodgy bloke in a portakabin trying to make a few quid off the brand he owns for a few years now but lots of people seem to still treat them as if they're actual Atari, or at least the infogrames-rebranded company that made games sometimes.

The CEO still seems to be the guy who was CEO of Infogrames when they took over the Atari brand in 2001. 

Personally I don't know anything about him , or much of the recent history of Atari, but the commonly-held belief that it is currently run by a group of chancers who have nothing to do with Atari pre-2013, or Infogrames, or gaming in general, seems to be wrong. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/fredericchesnais

This week's Bish Bash challenge has been set by Jim Bagley. It's a challenge to survive as long as possible against a boss in a game called The Next Space without firing a shot . His time is incredibly high and proving very difficult to match 

bish_bash_Baggers_10.10.png

I love the idea of these challenges and I'm totally up for a subscription service for retro games. For me though streaming still feels like the worst solution. It might change post 5G or other future technologies but for now I'd love to see some of the social challenge functions Antstream are implementing copied to other services. Switch online could definitely take a leaf out of Antstream's book.

8 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

For me though streaming still feels like the worst solution

I was a bit dubious about streaming at 1st. I usually strive for the best picture / latency on my retro consoles. Input lag drives me insane. I only play snes on my super NT and my next big purchase will be the mega SG. Everything in my house is connected with RGB where possible and I avoided any upscalers because of potential lag. My Antstream setup at home is connected via Ethernet and I don't notice any lag what so ever and never get picture breakup. I have used wireless at home but my router is pure crap and far away from my t.v. so hard wire is best option for me. I honestly don't feel like content is been streamed. People have reported that their picture was poor at times but that may have been due to poor internet on their side and I think the Ant team have also resolved some bugs which fixed all that (something to do with extended play sessions). I have to say I am amazed at how well the streaming works in Antstream. 

8 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I love the idea of these challenges

The challenges are so much fun and have added a whole other dimension to these games. I absolutely love them . The online Scoreboards are fantastic as well and it makes gunning for high scores much more worthwhile when they will be saved to the worldwide tables. I never bothered with high score hunting in retro games in the past because as soon as you tuned off the console the score was lost forever. It makes me appreciate these old games more now 

On 12/10/2019 at 18:17, Tee 1000 said:

This week's Bish Bash challenge has been set by Jim Bagley. It's a challenge to survive as long as possible against a boss in a game called The Next Space without firing a shot . His time is incredibly high and proving very difficult to match 

bish_bash_Baggers_10.10.png

I watched Baggers set that score. I'm not even going to attempt to beat it. Although I believe someone has done it now. 

6 hours ago, Tee 1000 said:

The challenges are so much fun and have added a whole other dimension to these games. I absolutely love them . The online Scoreboards are fantastic as well and it makes gunning for high scores much more worthwhile when they will be saved to the worldwide tables. I never bothered with high score hunting in retro games in the past because as soon as you tuned off the console the score was lost forever. It makes me appreciate these old games more now 

This has a lot of appeal for me but it's a shame that the games on offer are such obscurities. On the one hand it's a good idea that the challenges aren't for global high score on Ikaruga, for example, but equally the only two game challenges  mentioned in this thread so far could arguably have been selected just to get someone interested in playing them. At all.

Have you had a chance to add a score in the rllmuk Mr Do! challenge?

47 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

Have you had a chance to add a score in the rllmuk Mr Do! challenge?

I was too busy trying to beat Baggers time in the Next Space. Ticked that box so I will fire up Mr Do now to see what im up against. I'll let you know how I get on 

50 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

it's a shame that the games on offer are such obscurities

I don't think that these games are obscurities !!!!!

Metal Slug

Bad Dudes 

Tumblepop

Double Dragon

Magician Lord

Renegade

Joe and Mac

Speedball 2

Spin Master

Fatal Fury

Dark Seal

Super Burger Time

Shadow Force

Just a sample of games that have challenges . I actually remember playing every one of those games in the arcade back in the day