IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

54 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

Yep familiar with all of those except Dark SeaI,

Check out Dark Seal if you get a chance, it's a really cool game. I only listed a sample of games with Challenges, their are tons more and each game has at least 5 different challenges for it. Couldn't attempt to give a number for exact amount of challenges but I still need to get gold medal in loads of them 

14 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I watched Baggers set that score. I'm not even going to attempt to beat it. Although I believe someone has done it now. 

Asked this before but how are these challenges set, recorded, tracked and monitored? As in technically, how do you get into the game to do that? Really interested to know how it's been done, but there doesn't seem to be any real detail on it anywhere. 

5 hours ago, stefcha said:

Asked this before but how are these challenges set, recorded, tracked and monitored? As in technically, how do you get into the game to do that? Really interested to know how it's been done, but there doesn't seem to be any real detail on it anywhere. 

Well I'm not exactly sure what level of detail you are wanting ...  But the challenges are set by us, by deciding what we think will be a fun challenge and then testing them in-house. Recording, tracking and monitoring them is pretty straightforward as we are a streaming service ... It monitors itself (software watches what scores people are achieving, and puts them on the leaderboard if they score highly enough). 

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Well I'm not exactly sure what level of detail you are wanting ...  But the challenges are set by us, by deciding what we think will be a fun challenge and then testing them in-house. Recording, tracking and monitoring them is pretty straightforward as we are a streaming service ... It monitors itself (software watches what scores people are achieving, and puts them on the leaderboard if they score highly enough). 

I think he means the technical details. Like if you have a rom of something like Gauntlet and you wanted to set a challenge like "How many levels you can do on one credit" how do you track that info. How are you pulling that stuff out of a video stream?

51 minutes ago, Camel said:

They won't be pulling it out of a video stream, but from that connected instance of an emulator I would imagine. 

I know that and was puzzled as to why Anne Summers seemed to be suggesting it

Recording, tracking and monitoring them is pretty straightforward as we are a streaming service ... It monitors itself (software watches what scores people are achieving, and puts them on the leaderboard if they score highly enough)

19 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

17 hours ago, Flub said:

I think he means the technical details. Like if you have a rom of something like Gauntlet and you wanted to set a challenge like "How many levels you can do on one credit" how do you track that info. How are you pulling that stuff out of a video stream?

What flub says. How it's monitored and tracked at a technical level. Camel has the likely gist of it, but I'm more interested in what and how. Like I'm sure I saw one challenge where it involved killing the largest number of enemies in the level of a game in a set amount of time or the fastest time to kill x number of enemies, something like that. How is that information pulled out of the game itself in order for it to be tracked and measured? Is it a big task for each game given every game will have been coded quite differently so there'll be different events or whatever to try and watch for and track, or is there some simple way that's been worked out of doing it? It's one of the most intriguing bits of how this all works. 

I guess it is similar to how they do retro achievements. You tie a debugger style watchpoint to particular memory locations and when it changes, you're done (score getting higher than a certain value, or a fire button being pressed, absolutely anything in the game state really). The fact its streaming protects against cheating. You also start the emulator off from a known saved state, then start your timer when the user hits go. It's clever, and probably a lot harder than it sounds, requiring knowledge specific to each game.

I think it is made easier by retro games not having a lot of changing state, comparitively. You could do a comparison of the game save state before and after the challenge, that would give you a clue about where to look. But this is technical and knowledgeable stuff.

https://docs.retroachievements.org/Getting-Started-as-an-Achievement-Developer/

What's the deal with this on iOS? I was going to grab it on my iPad and there's no sign of it. The Kickstarter says it was just a case of getting past Apple - it's hard to find news on it.

Also, multiplayer. I'm supposing it's not online multiplayer, if so when is it likely to appear.

6 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Is it going to be? The Kickstarter said so.

A PS4 version seems to be in the works, any news on iOS.

I never understand how kickstarters always list platforms when there’s never any guarantee the platform holder will even allow it.

45 minutes ago, deKay said:

I never understand how kickstarters always list platforms when there’s never any guarantee the platform holder will even allow it.

The website still says 'mobile devices'.

Apple said no I take it?

4 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Only until Antstream et al have them removed.

I don't know where this idea that we have illegally hosted games taken down, we haven't made a single move to get anyone to take down any games. I think people are getting us confused with Nintendo...

Anyway - the site Skittles linked to is Internet Archive - the guy who runs that is a stringent "everything online should be free" advocate (and fair play to him). Our chances of getting anything removed from there would be very slight, they have huge amounts of money and generally resist all attempts by copyright holders (even Nintendo, I seem to remember) to get their IP removed from there. I don't think they actually use streaming - so they won't be able to do (nor will they be interested in doing) half of the things we are doing/planning such as challenges/tournaments/e-sports etc. 

57 minutes ago, deKay said:

Can’t remove them. Archive.org have a legal right to host them.

Not sure about that. Might be wrong but I thought it was more a case that they have said they are willing to defend their right to host them in court, and no one has yet taken them up on the offer.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

We're working on getting it through Apple and Sony's certification process. 

Out of interest why is it taking so long with Apple. It sounds like you've just got it in review. It should not be months, they're pretty fast at responding.

What's the underlying issue that they have.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Out of interest why is it taking so long with Apple. It sounds like you've just got it in review. It should not be months, they're pretty fast at responding.

What's the underlying issue that they have.

Not my department I'm afraid - might be to do with the fact we're a games-as-a-service service? No idea really though. 

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Not sure about that. Might be wrong but I thought it was more a case that they have said they are willing to defend their right to host them in court, and no one has yet taken them up on the offer.

They have a legal exemption.

ECC73447-FD1F-4544-910A-7942EE6C2394.thumb.jpeg.4233bffaac158df92adb416dd4bb960b.jpeg