IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

Well enjoy their last 2 months everyone.

On the plus side, signing up has enabled me to look into some stuff and I'm suspicious of some of their licence agreements.

Case in point : Top Gear 2 on Mega Drive.

Piko own the rights to this game and their reissues have been retitled Top Racer 2 because of a dispute with the BBC.

So who did antstream "buy" this one off and why is it not renamed.

@disperse and recoagulateThanks for highlighting this.

Mixed feelings. I'm impressed by how it works, but style is absolutely ALL over the place, it feels very unpolished (e.g. you're emailed a link to the list of games when you register - but it's to a 404) and it struggles a bit with video compression for me. The games roster isn't as exciting as I'd expected either.

I think I'll try it on the Shield, but don't think I'll be sticking with it.

I posted at the time that a free, ad supported service was the only way I could see this working.  I was totally proved wrong about lag, and was impressed how it worked, on the whole.  But I just couldn't see why anyone would pay a monthly subscription for it, especially with the selection of games that was surely never going to have Mario, Sonic, and basically most of the games the mass market would remember).  But dipping in and out for 5 minutes here and there I think it could do well. A new lease of life, and I'll definitely be checking it out. Also the list of games does have some recognisable arcade titles on there now.  

All they need now is to have it running through a website like YouTube does.  Downloading an app is another psychological barrier to entry.  

On 17/02/2021 at 22:10, Skykid said:

@disperse and recoagulateThanks for highlighting this.

Mixed feelings. I'm impressed by how it works, but style is absolutely ALL over the place, it feels very unpolished (e.g. you're emailed a link to the list of games when you register - but it's to a 404) and it struggles a bit with video compression for me. The games roster isn't as exciting as I'd expected either.

I think I'll try it on the Shield, but don't think I'll be sticking with it.

Yeah, the first observation is they have absolutely traded quality for removing lag.  And while it's better than Stadia it's absolutely still there for me having played some games I'm very familiar with natively and done worse on them.

but every time it's caught out by a complete screen change you can see it "fuzz" in.

On 17/02/2021 at 23:36, robotattack said:

Annual subscriptions were free in December anyway. I meant to post about it at the time, but I was going to make sure there wasn't some catch. Then I completely forgot about it. :facepalm: This has reminded to use it at least. :P

I think it's actually done that for me, I haven't seen an ad yet and it says I'm subscribed until Feb 2022.

• 1 month later...

Tried this out on my Nvidia Shield today. Not a great first impression as controller functionality is all over the place. Works ok on most "computer" games but arcade games are unplayable as Insert Coin and Start are on the same button and first button push doesn't start the game; only the second push starts the game.. which also inserts a second coin, so you always start in 2-player mode. 

Galaga doesn't recognise my controller inputs at all either. 

Thought I'd go to their discord server linked from their website, to get some support, but the link is a 404/the server is shut down.

Sad, as the 'computer' stuff is mostly nice.

On 13/10/2019 at 21:34, Tee 1000 said:

They have added challenges to non arcade games too, my mistake for saying it was in arcade. This particular game has challenge for Amiga format speedball 2 

Was this ever confirmed as a fake account to promote antstream? I notice they never posted since 2019....

On 21/03/2021 at 00:41, carlospie said:

Was this ever confirmed as a fake account to promote antstream? I notice they never posted since 2019....

Back then they were the only poster I remember being positive. They barely posted before or after but came here because they loved Antstream.  There were a handful of cursory posts saying how much they loved Outrun in an Outrun thread etc.

On 25/07/2019 at 10:58, Tee 1000 said:

@partious I experience no lag whatsoever, it's impressive really. My set up is a windows 10 pc connected via Ethernet playing through HDMI on my telly. I use Ethernet because the Wi-Fi reception beside my telly is really bad and I have never played online games via Wi-Fi. I notice that I get the odd bit of pixelation on Antstream when I switch to Wi-fi but this is definitely due to my signal, it definitely doesn't make it unplayable and most users probably wouldn't notice but if I'm trying for a high score I wouldn't dream of risking it. It is absolutely flawless through Ethernet. Just to mention , if I do use wi-fi and my signal drops , I still don't get input lag but the picture quality might suffer. It seems to give preference to responsiveness over picture quality in the event of a drop in wi-fi signal.

Just noticed my renegade high score picture  at end of post. LOL, didn't mean to add that, my accident but I'll leave it there 

Antstream_2019-07-25-10-22-35.jpg

Renegade is a truly awful game.  Anyone trying to improve their high scores and enjoying themselves is surely a robot.

On 24/07/2019 at 13:06, Tee 1000 said:

That's really nice to say that. I really hope it's as successful as it deserves to be too. It has massive potential and it's making me appreciate these retro games in new ways. This backing from Tencent really is such a huge validation of its potential and what they have achieved so far 

Hmmmm

On 25/07/2019 at 10:25, Tee 1000 said:

I prefer to let my scores do the talking 

I'm having a seriously tough battle with Double Dragon at the moment . This one has been going on for months now 

Antstream_2019-07-25-10-22-19.jpg

They are probs quiet because they prefer to let their scores do the talking. I wonder of their scores are talking to each other right now.

I had a go on this at the weekend (also on a Shield). It's... mixed. 

- Not all the games are on the front page, you have to search for them

- The app needs starting twice to actually work

- Not much lag, but enough to make it annoying, plus occasionally it just sticks in one direction, making most games impossible to play

- Interface barely works with a controller

It's a lovely idea, because as mad as it sounds I do like having a quick pop on Alien Breed or similar, but the sticking controls issue absolutely murders it. It renders it beyond useless.

Re Tee 1000 - On the other hand, maybe he just really dug Antstream and searched up us as about the only place on the Internet discussing it!

I had quite positive impressions of it when I tried it a while back, but I haven't been back to it since. Life's too short to play silly games, as they say. As transformative and vital as the 8-bit semi-pro dev scene was to the birth of computer culture in the UK, some of these old games are just crazy bad. Actually playing them in 2021 on some high-bandwidth streaming solution seems almost Nathan Barleyish.

That was my impression at the time. Retrogaming (for me) involves Ridge Racer, Contra, Mario etc.  I started out with a Sinclair Spectrum 48K, then a 128, then a +3, an Amiga, then PC and consoles. There are games I enjoyed as a kid on the Spectrum but the overwhelming majority just don't stand up to playing today.  Even big names like Dizzy become a quick nostalgia blast for 5 minutes.  

This week I stuck a hard drive into a PS2 and modded it.  I've played Sega Rally for ages and discovered the 2006 one I'd never tried before.  It's retrogaming. It's fantastic. But it's all games I'd very much doubt you'll ever see on Antstream. 

Now it's advertising supported I can see a place for it. If you could run it on a webpage like YouTube there would be no barrier to entry and I'd imagine that could be successful. But at the moment, having to download an app gets in the way. 

Yes, games were almost disposable, even at the time. You'd go into Woolworths, get your £1.99 Mastertronic game, play it for 20 minutes and if it was guff just stick it in the drawer never to be seen again. Covertapes were bulging with giveaways. (And that's to say nothing of the C90s that would get passed around in school). Such software cannot make up the centrepiece of your modern streaming service. Nostalgia only goes so far.

To be fair, this kind of NES Remix style challenge mash-up they have layered on is about the only way you could consider playing them nowadays I think.

12 hours ago, RipePlums said:

- Not much lag, but enough to make it annoying, plus occasionally it just sticks in one direction, making most games impossible to play

...But the sticking controls issue absolutely murders it. 

Just installed it on my OnePlus 6T and got the same thing. Seems to be in games where you repeatedly press a fire button.  Asteroids and Psycho Oscar.  Moving the joystick seems fine but if you press fire it sticks in the direction .  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried this again after listening to that interview, it seems to be free to play now with some energy mobile bollocks refilling every 24 hours. Not sure why I'd subscribe with that in play. Still, it seems fine, there is certainly lag but it's as good as you will get. S

mash TV tournament going on now. 

• 3 months later...
On 08/10/2019 at 18:11, Tee 1000 said:

Don't know if you mean me ( my username is Tee 1000 maybe that's where the 1000 hours is coming from ) but I have been playing it pretty much every day since the end of May 

This guy will be well happy. Remember when he joined the forum to tell us how great is was then didn't log back on since 2019. He'd sell his mother for 1090 gems