Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

On 03/04/2019 at 10:19, Eighthours said:

Get access to these and HUNDREDS more titles when you sign up for Antstream. Plus get ONE MONTH EARLY ACCESS if you pledge £28 or more to our Kickstarter, launching next week!

I know that Antstream are a start up (and good luck to @Anne Summers) but this is trying to drum up interest, excitement... or revenue.. this has to be one of the most bizarre ways of doing it.

• No mention of a Kickstarter campaign until now (but it was planned?)
  • No indication of what you actually get for that Kickstarter apart from one month early access (aka paying to beta test)
  • No indication of how much the service is going to cost (is it £28 a month? Is it related to this Kickstarter pledge or not?) 
  • The call to action web link goes to the anstream website, where there's no information at all about what that Kickstarter pledge will do.

@Anne Summers, you're saying you can't mention anything because you have a PR team? Why did you mention it on Facebook then? Surely this is going to do more damage than good? It seems strange to post it, causing so many questions to be asked and potentially damaging any sign ups.

As it's been pointed out, I genuinely think it's going to be difficult to get people to may a monthly service to play retro games because apart from Leaderboards and Challenges, there doesn't seem to be much benefit over just playing the ROMs on an emulator (personally, I think it would be better to have a smaller library of well curated games that offer a community approach - everyone playing a specific game etc than just having thousands of them.. but that's just my thoughts).

I'd also be worried about the monthly pricing cost if that £28 Kickstarter pledge is anything to go by... 

• Upvote 4

You can literally google a game now, it takes you to a rom site and you play the thing off the site on your phone. It’s not like when we were kids. Or just buy a retropi as card off eBay 

sorry but if us gamers on here arnt keen, joe public won’t be either. All this asking the PR team, then crowdfunding seems odd.

The point is valid though.  Emulators and roms are a faff.  Convenience is a selling point.  It's like those idiots who thought Nintendo's mini classic things would fail because you could put together a Raspberry Pi and some roms.  

I don't think this service will take off but convenience is really its only selling point.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I know that Antstream are a start up (and good luck to @Anne Summers) but this is trying to drum up interest, excitement... or revenue.. this has to be one of the most bizarre ways of doing it.

• No mention of a Kickstarter campaign until now (but it was planned?)
  • No indication of what you actually get for that Kickstarter apart from one month early access (aka paying to beta test)
  • No indication of how much the service is going to cost (is it £28 a month? Is it related to this Kickstarter pledge or not?) 
  • The call to action web link goes to the anstream website, where there's no information at all about what that Kickstarter pledge will do.

@Anne Summers, you're saying you can't mention anything because you have a PR team? Why did you mention it on Facebook then? Surely this is going to do more damage than good? It seems strange to post it, causing so many questions to be asked and potentially damaging any sign ups.

As it's been pointed out, I genuinely think it's going to be difficult to get people to may a monthly service to play retro games because apart from Leaderboards and Challenges, there doesn't seem to be much benefit over just playing the ROMs on an emulator (personally, I think it would be better to have a smaller library of well curated games that offer a community approach - everyone playing a specific game etc than just having thousands of them.. but that's just my thoughts).

I'd also be worried about the monthly pricing cost if that £28 Kickstarter pledge is anything to go by... 

Well, I've been told I can't say any more than has been announced already. When I first got involved there was just a small bunch of us and we were pretty much all mucking in and doing a bit of everything, hence Jon and I had a fairly lax approach to talking about stuff. The team has grown a lot since then, and we have PR and marketing people controlling the release of information (the guys who are running the Facebook page, for example). 

Most of your questions regarding the Kickstarter itself will be answered next week, when the Kickstarter launches. (I will tell you it won't be anything like £28 a month though!) 

As you say, this really is about supplying a curated library of games - though a large one, rather than a particularly small one. And yes, it's for people who don't want the faff of downloading emulators and ROMs. I've seen those sites that let you play virtually any game through a Flash (or Java/whatever) interface on your phone, and they really don't provide a satisfying gameplay experience, in my opinion. 

@Carlospie - I think you're in the right ball park regarding the price. Regarding the reviews - one of those FB reviews is from a member of the team who seems to have got over-excited and reviewed himself. The others are from people who have either engaged with us through our open beta, or through meeting us at exhibitions. One of them seems to be commenting solely on our social media presence and our customer services engagement. 

• Upvote 2

it is a poor run up to a launch with some mixed messaging...

Website FAQ

We currently have a catalogue of over 1000 fully-licensed titles, and new titles are being added to the app weekly. New partners are being added regularly, so keep an eye out for announcements. 

FB reply in last few days when asked about games list

These are the game we have announced so far, all officially licensed (image of 46 games) However, there are now over 400 games ready for players at launch, with more being added all the time.

Further FB when challenged on the picture only having 46 games

We can't reveal all 400. That would spoil the surprise We will likely reveal some more in May or June though, These are just the ones we have revealed so far but at the last count there were 411 unique titles on the platform

Messaging is mixed as hell on funding and games list.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, JPickford said:

They seem to be setting themselves up as some sort of gaming news site in lieu of any actual news/content about the service.

Correct - this was a strategy for building an audience during the (long) period when we didn't have anything concrete to announce. That is all changing now, as you can see. 

(By the way, just signed the deal on another lot of content, which includes at least one Pickford Brothers classic from the distant past! ). 

So it has 2 team members, Microsoft is its one and only funder, it’s not actually only retro games and you can play games free if you watch ads? And the only niche thing it has (retro) is now not the only thing it has, and it’s going to take on google/nvidia/shadow for streaming?! 

RIP

2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

it is a poor run up to a launch with some mixed messaging...

Website FAQ

We currently have a catalogue of over 1000 fully-licensed titles, and new titles are being added to the app weekly. New partners are being added regularly, so keep an eye out for announcements. 

FB reply in last few days when asked about games list

These are the game we have announced so far, all officially licensed (image of 46 games) However, there are now over 400 games ready for players at launch, with more being added all the time.

Further FB when challenged on the picture only having 46 games

We can't reveal all 400. That would spoil the surprise We will likely reveal some more in May or June though, These are just the ones we have revealed so far but at the last count there were 411 unique titles on the platform

Messaging is mixed as hell on funding and games list.

I can agree the messaging has been mixed. The truth is we have over 1,000 games licensed. 400 of them (at least) will be available on launch. We've announced 46 of them. 

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

So it has 2 team members, Microsoft is its one and only funder, it’s not actually only retro games and you can play games free if you watch ads? 

None of that is accurate! 

I think the idea may have been to have an ad-supported model at some point but it was dropped long before I got involved. 

Basically you are posting up outdated information. (although those two team members are still on board). 

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

None of that is accurate! 

I think the idea may have been to have an ad-supported model at some point but it was dropped long before I got involved. 

Basically you are posting up outdated information. (although those two team members are still on board). 

Well update it!!

We are your target market, in 5 minutes I just found all the above, found conflicting info re what this even is or what it does. Wait till reddit get hold of it it would be DOA

and take the fake reviews off of fb...

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Well update it!! We are your target market, in 5 minutes I just found all the above, found conflicting info re what this even is or what it does. Wait till reddit get hold of it it would be DOA 

and take the fake reviews off of fb...

I can't update it! Those sites (Crunchbase etc) are outside of my control. 

And yes, there's conflicting information, that's because plans change as projects develop. Old information isn't automatically cleared off the internet when it becomes out of date. 

And there aren't "fake reviews" - like I said, there is just one post which has been made by a member of the team (under his real name) and seems to be obviously tongue-in-cheek. I don't seem to be able to delete it but will raise it with the social media guys in the morning. 

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

I can't update it! Those sites (Crunchbase etc) are outside of my control. 

And yes, there's conflicting information, that's because plans change as projects develop. Old information isn't automatically cleared off the internet when it becomes out of date. 

And there aren't "fake reviews" - like I said, there is just one post which has been made by a member of the team (under his real name) and seems to be obviously tongue-in-cheek. I don't seem to be able to delete it but will raise it with the social media guys in the morning. 

Isnt this what the PR team do?

4 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Isnt this what the PR team do?

Isn't what what the PR team do?

Edit: If you mean delete the comment made by the team member - then yes, as I said, I will get them onto it in the morning (it's 6.35pm and they've gone home..)

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Correct - this was a strategy for building an audience during the (long) period when we didn't have anything concrete to announce. That is all changing now, as you can see. 

(By the way, just signed the deal on another lot of content, which includes at least one Pickford Brothers classic from the distant past! ). 

I wonder if the original authors will get paid!    Fat chance I'm guessing.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

i still hope this comes off as I like the idea of a retro service like this even though I have an amiga and a c64 sitting next to me.

I was sceptical about gamepass but I wouldn't be without it now.

If nothing else I see you have Attack of the Mutant Camels so I am guessing you have paid for all of Llamasoft's back catalogue (as far as I know they hold all rights on all their games) - so a complete softography of Llamasoft available on demand would be superb... don't skimp I want the C64 version of Gridrunner as well as the superior VIC20 version please.

3 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I wonder if the original authors will get paid!    Fat chance I'm guessing.

I'm guessing it depends who holds the rights. In many cases publishers do (for example I don't think Braybrook will see a penny from Uridium either as it is whoever owns rights to Hewson)

But the aforementioned Llamasoft licensing will probably go to Minter as I don't think he ever dealt with/gave away his rights (maybe Space Giraffe and T3k he did?)

I see no sign that these guy sare anything like the Vega lot who did rip off rights holders inc devs.

4 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Yeah very few authors will see a penny as they don't hold the rights.   Mostly it'll horrible copyright hoarding entities like the current fake Atari.

that is a crying shame - all that talent over the years , and the rights never end up in the right place. Thinking about all those great 8 bit games in 80s and the programmers don't get a penny no matter how big a classic it might be unless a) they were savvy enough to never give rights to publishers (cannot think of example!) OR b) operate a niche where publishers never bought their rights! (llamasoft)

EDIT - an exampel jumps to mind of a collosal cold stone classic from the past - Jon Hare had to release "Sociable Soccer" as he couldn't use the rights for Sensible Soccer... FFS Regardless what you might think of his new output that isn't right.