IGNORED

More info on the Nintendo DS

Beertiger

And I just can't see how you can play a football game with no controls... it would be like that saturday morning tv phone-in game where you go LEFT, LEFT, LEFT, BITE!

No VISIBLE controls I mean. There are over 16 different sensors. You'll have more input than with a normal console, just no joysticks or buttons.

Input types: Voice, Tilt (2 axis), Screen Orientation, Touch Screen (pressure sensitive), & Proximity of other DP machines.

When playing GBA games the bottom screen just contains an image of the GBA controls. Actual Shoulder buttons are still present in the normal place.

Hmm...

Tilting a handheld would mean you can't see the screen at certain angles, surely?! ;)

It would be good if they released a headset addon, that way you could tilt your head and that would move the DS. Artists impression attached...

dshead.jpg

Tilting a handheld would mean you can't see the screen at certain angles, surely?! ;)

Not at all. It's backlit and games will only require tilting between +-16 degrees of the start orientation (calibrated when you start a game).

Tilting can be a VERY subtle form of contol. Like those annoying plastic puzzle with a ball that you have to tilt to control.

In fact the launch game for DS is based on a GC\GBASP game which worked in this way. In the original you tilted the GBASP to move several balls around 3D obstacles (on the GC screen). The DS version doesn't need a GC of course.

ds.png

OK, it's the special Pikachu edition DS. His ears are the handles, the cheeks are buttons A and B, the mouth is the speaker grille, and the eyes are the screens. Periodically, in a nod to the Daily Mail baiting cartoon, the eyes become strobe lights, causing the player to have a fit.

ds.png

OK, it's the special Pikachu edition DS. His ears are the handles, the cheeks are buttons A and B, the mouth is the speaker grille, and the eyes are the screens. Periodically, in a nod to the Daily Mail baiting cartoon, the eyes become strobe lights, causing the player to have a fit.

You got A & B the wrong way around you spazzer.

You got A & B the wrong way around you spazzer.

It's a revolutionary new control system. If you buy the special "Pikachu Body" cradle for it, his nipples are L and R, and by shoving your finger up his arse, you get access to the Z button.

What about if it looks like the SP, with a screen on each half and has a ball joint instead of a hinge so the screens can face in different directions?

This will surely reinforce Nintendo's communication strategy as you'll be concentrating on one screen whilst your friend can be watching the other and teling you what's happening on the second screen.

Has anybody played the two screen version of punch out arcade? Is the DS the reason why punch out was never released on the n64 or the GC? Could one be using the motion sensing for dodging blows and using your fingers to punch your opponent's light out via the touch screen and the wireless capability for one on one (or many) virtual punch out stylee.

Discuss.

Perrin: I think we'll be very strategic about how we package it. We'll make sure that consumers newly introduced to it will be very interested and those consumers who already have the Game Boy and love it will be enticed to try this product as well. You can never have too many Game Boys, let's be honest. I mean, how many do you have?

IGNcube: Three of them. But we're a special case, we think.

Perrin: No you're not.

Don't you just hate those arrogant, misguided Nintendo bastards?

Don't you just hate those arrogant, misguided Nintendo bastards?

Way to take her response out of context. She's not suggesting that everyone owns 3 GBAs.

See, she says that people may own more than one Game Boy. Certainly since the inception of the Game Boy in 1989, I've owned 5 different models of Game Boy and it's certainly likely that many gamers will own at least 2.

Way to take her response out of context. She's not suggesting that everyone owns 3 GBAs.

Actually, she suggest that you can't get enough Gameboys. When IGN mention that even they only have three, and they're a special case (being a huge videogames news franchise and everything), her response is that they're not a special case.

Therefore suggesting that most GBA owners have three consoles. I know early adopters have two now, but that's besides the point...

Well, if I worked for Nintendo I would think you could never have enough of anything with the Nintendo badge on it...

She is of course talking about the Game Boy in general you silly bints.

I'd say that it's easy to take out of context when you consider that IGN were asking about whether it would steal the GBA SP and GBA SP2 's market share. Which you'd expect to be rebuked by someone telling you how many people have several GBAs, or that the DS isn't meant to compete.