rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Shazam! - Non-grimdark DC movie

Yeah, it does look fun, but I'm really struggling to see who it will appeal to. Which is a shame as it's nice to see a superhero movie going down this route.

Looks about as entertaining as a rectal prolapse.

Edit: fortunately the film is a million times better than the trailers suggested. Really enjoyed it overall.

Edited by Fierce Poodle
Incorrect original opinion based on watching the trailer.
  • Upvote 1

I can't wait for this! Zachary Levi is ace and I loved everything about Chuck and I really hope this is a massive success which means it's may not do so well.

However, I have hope that a happy, fun DC movie can make people laugh and realise DC's comic book movies don't have to be po-faced bullshit.

• Upvote 2

One of my reviewer friends saw it and posted this on his Facebook:

Oh yeah, embargo is over so I can now say without reservation that Shazam! is absolutely brilliant. Smart, heartwarming, deliriously funny and brave enough to embrace the essentially juvenile nature of the superhero power fantasy with both arms. You'll love it.

• Upvote 1

Comes out in my Birthday and I have the day off with my wife for a childfree cinema trip and meal. Gonna go see this. Was this or Pet Cemetery.

This was excellent. Followed the standard superhero origins template, but genuinely laugh out loud funny in places with a likeable cast. Zachary Levi plays the same bewildered character he did in Chuck, but this time he can throw people through buildings with it. 

It's the superhero version of Big and it knows this (particularly in one scene). It's a far cry from recent DC offerings and easily my favourite of the lot. 

• Upvote 3

It's such a fun, entertaining, laugh out loud in parts, heartwarming film that you just leave happy by what you've seen.  It's a joy and if DC embrace what makes their characters great and lean into the wackiness of it all, the films will just get better.

• Upvote 1

Well, Shazam was a wonderfully wholesome superhero movie filled with joy from start to finish. 

Zachery Levi really brought the essence and exuberance of Shazam to life!!

A fun movie from start to finish and what DC should have done from the beginning. 

Rating:
/

• Upvote 3

Saw this on a whim and it's surprisingly great.   Very funny and loads of stuff not given away in the trailers.

As well as Jimmy Fallon as Shazam there's Maisie Williams as Billy.

Also one of the best lines ever.

Put your hands on my shaft!

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

Saw this on a whim and it's surprisingly great.   Very funny and loads of stuff not given away in the trailers.

As well as Jimmy Fallon as Shazam there's Maisie Williams as Billy.

Also one of the best lines ever.

Reveal hidden contents

Put your hands on my shaft!

Buh? Zachary Levi, dude (Flyn Ryder in Tangled)

5 minutes ago, linkster said:

I figured, i just wanted to say Flyn Ryder cos Tangled is amaaaaaaaaaazing

Maximus :wub:

Just now, MardiganX said:

Maximus :wub:

Oh my god that fucking horse. So much awesome

this showed up as a one off morning children’s matinee in cineworld last year, 40 mile round trip, me and one family who fucked off after an hour

• Upvote 1

My boy is almost 2 and in full on Thomas the Tank mind melted mode but the thought of him getting into films like Tangled, Shrek, etc. obviously on his way to Marvel and Star Wars obsession makes me just a little happy.

Pascal is a bit of a character too but the relationship between Flynn and Maximus is an understated show stealer. 

Oh and planning to see Shazam on Thursday. Really looking forward to it after the incredible Aquaman so I’m hopeful DC have got some real focus on what they should be doing going forward.

Saw it today and it's great fun. Lots of laughs, full of likeable characters, completely bonkers and theres loads more to the film that the trailers show. Theres plenty of new and unexpected stuff too

Spoiler

Specifically when he shares his power out to the family. Usually in films the family of oddball kids would somehow manage to sort out the henchmen/villain sidekicks but here they just make more Shazams out of them which I thought was great and something new.

• Upvote 1

Its pretty damn good, the best parts of the film are easily the family interactions and the relationship with Billy and Freddie which were awesome. However, when the bad guy starts fighting its when I sort of got bored, I could have easily lapped up more time hanging with the family and Shazam doing dumb stuff. 

• Upvote 2