EFL Championship 2018/19 - All aboard the rollercoaster

Luseth

On 28/02/2019 at 18:27, Naysonymous said:

We've checked out for the season. Won't go down, won't reach the playoffs and 75% of the squad won't be at the club in August when you consider contract expiry dates and how many loan deals we have. My main concern is there is no spine in place for next season, the club will spend the entire summer trying to do deals for players and we will get the now annual "they've had no pre-season" line when the team is in mid table in October.  So not really.  

Well, it's the hope that kills you isn't it? Villa have suddenly turned into a football team again and despite being in the bottom half of The Championship a month ago, some really good wins against the teams immediately above us in the table and a few other results going our way somehow we are just two points outside the playoffs with 9 games to go. Middlesbrough up next, win that and I'll really start to believe the unlikeliest of turnarounds is possible. 

14 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Well, it's the hope that kills you isn't it? Villa have suddenly turned into a football team again and despite being in the bottom half of The Championship a month ago, some really good wins against the teams immediately above us in the table and a few other results going our way somehow we are just two points outside the playoffs with 9 games to go. Middlesbrough up next, win that and I'll really start to believe the unlikeliest of turnarounds is possible. 

Our match against you in a couple of weeks will be a must win for both teams.

lMsEqq9.gif

Fucking hell Villa.  In the bottom half a few weeks ago, had a string of games against sides higher in the table and win them all.  I know they say a few wins in a row can propel you up the table in this division, but when those wins are against teams immediately above you... 

On 15/03/2019 at 16:55, Naysonymous said:

Hopefully they'll be dead rubbers by then as we kinda need the points.  I'm guessing Leeds and Norwich don't care too much about first and second. Automatic is the real prize. 

The Championship is mental this season. Whilst I think 5th and 6th will go to two of Boro, Villa, Wednesday and Preston, we do (hopefully) have Mason Mount back after the international break after a long spell out and he could have a Grealish-esque impact on our run in.

On 16/03/2019 at 18:49, Kieran said:

11 unbeaten now for The Wednesday after beating Blackburn 4-2. Worrying injuries for Fletcher and Hutchinson though. Next home game - Villa. A real six pointer.

Bruce has transformed this club.

That should be an interesting game.  Is it on TV?

Most Birmingham fans I know were expecting 12 points so I think they will be relieved.  They had to get done, signing players while under embargo for FFP breaches is a direct challenge to the authorities and if no punishment came then it would open the floodgates for FFP violations.   

It's probably a deduction which suits everybody too, recent results have ended Birmingham's playoff bid and at the other end of the table  Ipswich and Bolton are so far adrift that there really is only one relegation place still to be decided. I see it as one from four, Wigan, Millwall, Reading & Rotherham (heavy emphasis on Reading and Rotherham) and while this deduction puts Blues down there with them, they've got a five point cushion with a goal difference so massively superior that it might as well be six points, plus they've got a much better team than the other strugglers. 

L0wqypp.jpg

West Brom and Norwich are probably the only two teams who know how their season is going to end. Either Leeds or Sheffield United are going to enter the playoffs broken hearted and 5th & 6th places are up for grabs by more than half a dozen teams.  
Middlesbrough are in a bad slump at the wrong time. Could they have blown it? 

If the price of getting rid of Pulis is to not make the play offs then so be it. :hmm:

It would be nice if we sacked him today and give someone else a chance to invigorate the squad.

But the balance of our squad is horrendous, even if he went now who ever came in would have no choice but to play Pulis Ball because we don't have the players to do anything else now.

On 30/03/2019 at 19:36, Naysonymous said:

L0wqypp.jpg

West Brom and Norwich are probably the only two teams who know how their season is going to end. Either Leeds or Sheffield United are going to enter the playoffs broken hearted and 5th & 6th places are up for grabs by more than half a dozen teams.  
Middlesbrough are in a bad slump at the wrong time. Could they have blown it? 

Sheffield United look to have the easier run in. We've still got Villa and Wednesday. Our next two games are away too. 

Please don't Leeds this, Leeds. Pleeeeeeaaaasssseeee. 

46 minutes ago, kensei said:

Sheffield United look to have the easier run in. We've still got Villa and Wednesday. Our next two games are away too. 

Please don't Leeds this, Leeds. Pleeeeeeaaaasssseeee. 

I'm living the spirit of the team this season but we really should have strolled this league based on possession. We seem to struggle scoring and let in stupid goals. It would be nice to kill a few games off before the last 10 minutes!

Fixtures of the playoff contenders.   I'm gonna assume the top four are staying in the top four and just including the teams with dreams of those final two spots. 

5th - Aston Villa (P39 Pts 60 GD +15)

WqIFsdD.png

6th - Derby County (P38 Pts 59 GD+7)

49f3wXJ.png

7th - Bristol City (P37 Pts 58 GD+8)

aDIX6Eq.png

8th - Middlesbrough (P38 Pts 58 GD+8)

VWaHX3C.png

9th - Nottingham Forest (P39 Pts 57 GD+9)

pZ9n9HB.png

10th - Preston North End (P39 Pts 57 GD+7)

bCg7RV0.png

11th - Sheffield Wednesday (P39 Pts 56 GD-3)

JytQJK0.png

12th Hull City Tigers  (P39 Pts 54 GD+-0) 

m4UVGy6.png

Some enormous games coming up, Middlesbrough vs Bristol City tonight is a real six pointer, they are currently separated only by goals scored.  

Sheffield Wednesday have some really rough looking fixtures, but just like Villa in March, if you have a run of games against teams immediately above you in the table and win them all then it really propels you up the table as you are guaranteed to gain ground.  Bristol City have the games in hand but I'd be worried about fixture congestion at this point of the season.  I think Hull are real outsiders but their next two games could give six points and they'll be a bit more in the picture if they win those while the teams above them all play each other and inevitably drop points.  

Who am I backing?  Villa obviously and I've got a feeling Derby have the easiest run in so they'll pick up plenty of points.