IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

31 minutes ago, K said:

That was great. I loved the way they took a hideously implausible scene like the one where Greg asks Kendall’s PA out and she agrees, and made it somehow believable. The writing is excellent. Plus, I loved happy Greg and angry coked-up Tom. 

It seems obvious, but I hadn’t made the connection until the recap at the start of the episode:

Hide contents

Kendall does have knowledge of crimes committed and covered up by Waystar employees, which Logan ordered and sanctioned - the one that Kendall committed at the end of the first series. Presumably Kendall will blow the whistle on himself once he’s summoned up sufficient self-loathing  

I completely forgot about the cover-up in England. I guess it can't be exposed though because it would fuck Logan too?

50 minutes ago, McFly said:

I completely forgot about the cover-up in England. I guess it can't be exposed though because it would fuck Logan too?

There's definitely a line of dialogue earlier in the season where Mrs Logan and Logan are talking and she kind of suggests exposing it and he says something along the lines of "some bombs can't be detonated without being caught in the blast."

Anyway that was another fantastic episode of television that put character first and then cleverly weaved moving the plot forward in as it went. I absolutely loved how over the course of the episode Kendall went from being completely pathetic in a cringeworthy way to the worst cunt imaginable to someone you felt genuinely sorry for. Mad that they can continue to do that with their characters on a week by week basis and keep them all so believable. 

For me it’s not so much that they’re believable but that despite being utter arseholes the writing is good enough to give them some humanity and makes you care about these sociopaths. The script and acting is just on another level. 

I mean we should all really just want the whole bunch of shits to go to jail. I thought the scene with Kendall and Greg was pretty clever and a good example. Kendall says all sorts of ‘mean’ things to Greg and we feel sorry for him. Yet everything he says is true. Greg is a complete parasite. 

In fact, other than Logan they are all pretty truthful to each other. Often dressed up as banter but they’re usually dropping massive truth bombs on each other. 

On 30/11/2021 at 22:05, McFly said:

Well, Logan can't expose it, but maybe Kendall will. It might be a bit melodramatic for the series, but I could believe that Kendall would decide to destroy his own life to bring down Logan.

7 hours ago, K said:

Well, Logan can't expose it, but maybe Kendall will. It might be a bit melodramatic for the series, but I could believe that Kendall would decide to destroy his own life to bring down Logan.

In a bout ghilt induced self-loathing, I coups see him do it. Perhaps he could add to the cruise papers as proof of what Logan will do for his loved ones? Assuming Ken gets his immunity deal sorted, but since it was abroad, I dunno how that'd work. But they'd never extradite him anyway, I know it's real life but look at that diplomats wife who killed that kid on his bike and she ran away to USA and fuck all happened (I think).

On 30/11/2021 at 09:55, BongoInferno said:

My mind was blown hearing Big City by Spacemen 3 during the Roman and tech CEO treehouse scene. It took me right back to being a bong fuelled 16 year old.

That was another tremendous episode. It's light years ahead of anything else on TV at the moment.

That and Meat Beat Manifesto were highlights for me. 
I really like how music is used in Succession. Instead of a few seconds of a song it’s pretty much the whole track. 

I don't know who that is luckily and am not going to Google him.

Apart from that like everyone else - this is just pure masterclass in writing, directing, casting and acting. I've been gobbling it up in quick succession. Don't think I've seen anything this good since Mad Men.

My mind goes back daily to Kendall’s party, and how brilliant the observations are.

Spoiler

The compliments tunnel in particular is a quietly superb piece of satire. It’s so well realised that I feel like I’ve been at a wanky media party with one and/or will be disappointed it there isn’t one at our Christmas social in a few weeks.

It’s perfect.

Think that’s the episode that many will talk about the most once the show has concluded. Brutal, poignant, savage and darkly comic, all while being brilliantly acted, written, directed and soundtracked. It showcases everything that’s the series does magnificently.

Oh and HBO has put the playlist on Spotify. All bangers, all the time.

Yeah that was amazing

Spoiler

I don't think Kendall is dead if anything he was trying to sip water like Logan mentioned. Shiv is a foul beast, the way she manipulated and bullied Tom but I was also delighted to see her fuck Roman even though I love Roman just for the shits and the giggles. Man what a show.